Quit biglaw with no backup? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Re: Quit biglaw with no backup?

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm

I think it's time you stop giving a fuck if someone "CC's the billing partner." You've decided to quit, so stop working hard for them. Show up at 9:30 and leave at 7pm. Don't anwser email after 10. What are they going to do, fire you?

Warning to dumb 2L's who think that this means you can do with no consequence. There will be consequences. You'll get laid off eventually. But its not worse than getting fired.

Their power over you is the fear of getting fired. Which you'd welcome.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:27 pm

The responses are much appreciated, especially from the folks who have been through or are aware of similar experiences.

I can feel myself wearing down mentally and physically - the stress and anxiety that builds but doesn't reset, the generally falling out of shape, bad habits, etc. It's really been eye-opening how much of a physical impact the effects of this job can have.

In any case, my particular group/firm really does make it difficult to slack off even if I am mentally checked out of the job (for reasons explained in my earlier posts). More than that is I'd prefer to leave on my own terms rather than phoning it in and ruining whatever positive opinion they may have of me for future reference purposes. I realize I'm not exactly cultivating a positive relationship by quitting, but at least they won't be able to say I turned in shit work and slacked and got fired (in so many words of course).

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The responses are much appreciated, especially from the folks who have been through or are aware of similar experiences.

I can feel myself wearing down mentally and physically - the stress and anxiety that builds but doesn't reset, the generally falling out of shape, bad habits, etc. It's really been eye-opening how much of a physical impact the effects of this job can have.

In any case, my particular group/firm really does make it difficult to slack off even if I am mentally checked out of the job (for reasons explained in my earlier posts). More than that is I'd prefer to leave on my own terms rather than phoning it in and ruining whatever positive opinion they may have of me for future reference purposes. I realize I'm not exactly cultivating a positive relationship by quitting, but at least they won't be able to say I turned in shit work and slacked and got fired (in so many words of course).
Yea, I get you.

Do you have any other partners you can talk to or ask for advice? Can you ask for more juniors to help you? Or paralegals?

I have 3 partners I can go to for help and advice. You should find someone. I can't slack off either.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:53 pm

Have you spoken to headhunters?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:58 pm

Are they going to be willing to give you good recommendations if you just quit with no options.

Slack off. I bet you last a year before you get fired.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:54 pm

NYSprague wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The responses are much appreciated, especially from the folks who have been through or are aware of similar experiences.

Yea, I get you.

Do you have any other partners you can talk to or ask for advice? Can you ask for more juniors to help you? Or paralegals?

I have 3 partners I can go to for help and advice. You should find someone. I can't slack off either.
Unfortunately, no. The environment is pretty toxic. I've seen other associates catch themselves even when they go to vent - some of the partners can be pretty crazy/vindictive.

Re: headhunters, I have not. Seems like I get a couple phone calls/emails from these folks daily, but it all seems either really canned or spammy. In any case, most of what these people offer is more BigLaw, right? I could be off base on this, never really dealt with one seriously.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 pm

If you are leaving anyway, you might as well ask for help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYSprague wrote:

Yea, I get you.

Unfortunately, no. The environment is pretty toxic. I've seen other associates catch themselves even when they go to vent - some of the partners can be pretty crazy/vindictive.

Re: headhunters, I have not. Seems like I get a couple phone calls/emails from these folks daily, but it all seems either really canned or spammy. In any case, most of what these people offer is more BigLaw, right? I could be off base on this, never really dealt with one seriously.
Anonymous User wrote:
NYSprague wrote:

Yea, I get you.

A headhunter won't be able to help you with what you're looking for--they mostly place in biglaw and biglaw type work places. I had a headhunter who was really candid tell me that the way it works is that firms pay them the equivalent of half your first year's salary for setting you up with the firm (assuming your hired). In other words, if your salary is $250k /year when your hired, the firm pays another $125k to the headhunter (and some firms will bring you in as a more junior associate than your years of experience to mitigate some of that fee). This just doesn't work if you're looking for job in public interest, or really anywhere with limited resources (e.g. a state agency simply isn't going to pay $125k for setting you up with them no matter how great you are).

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Put me in the Do not quit without something lined up category.

Even if you just slack off and turn down work at every opportunity without giving a fuck about pissing off partners, you will last until your next annual review. Use the time to apply for the jobs. A resume gap for any reason looks bad and you will be taking a huge risk by quitting without another job lined up. I understand the misery that is biglaw, but give the long term impact of quitting some serious thought before going through with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:45 am

Responses have been huge guys - this is what makes TLS a great resource.

Any other TLSers care to share their own experiences with this, or someone else's story? I know it's anecdotal, but hearing how another person navigated this type of situation is pretty illuminating. With how isolating biglaw feels, a little commiseration always helps.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:39 am

I take it back. Quit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:18 am

El Pollito wrote:I take it back. Quit.
Reasons for the change of heart?

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Brief assignment for the firm sociopath. Billed 40 hours since Monday. He made sure to tell us (through his senior associate liason because he's above directly acknowledging us, of course) that the assignment was "not onerous" and did not warrant bringing on an extra person. Then I imagined that being your life all the time. And LDRs suck dick.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 am

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Brief assignment for the firm sociopath. Billed 40 hours since Monday. He made sure to tell us (through his senior associate liason because he's above directly acknowledging us, of course) that the assignment was "not onerous" and did not warrant bringing on an extra person. Then I imagined that being your life all the time. And LDRs suck dick.
My sympathies - this is truly a shit way to live brother.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:04 am

Not a fan of those saying slack off. Friend did this at a biglaw firm and has been unemployed for months now because he cannot get references from an employer for a job he intentionally sunk.

If you leave biglaw and are in good standing, the firm will almost always tell you you are always welcome back, so that can be a backup plan if things truly get bad.

As far as your relationship goes, take it from someone more senior than you, your significant other will eventually run out of patience from your general misery and leave you. Biglaw has ran me so ragged that my SO just couldn't even take anymore and left me for someone making much less working a job with sane hours (do not hold this against my SO). I haven't so much as been on a date in the past year due to my schedule. If you are really this unhappy, its only a matter of time til this happens to you, please quit before it does happen, I cannot take back my past but hopefully you can learn from mine.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not a fan of those saying slack off. Friend did this at a biglaw firm and has been unemployed for months now because he cannot get references from an employer for a job he intentionally sunk.

If you leave biglaw and are in good standing, the firm will almost always tell you you are always welcome back, so that can be a backup plan if things truly get bad.

As far as your relationship goes, take it from someone more senior than you, your significant other will eventually run out of patience from your general misery and leave you. Biglaw has ran me so ragged that my SO just couldn't even take anymore and left me for someone making much less working a job with sane hours (do not hold this against my SO). I haven't so much as been on a date in the past year due to my schedule. If you are really this unhappy, its only a matter of time til this happens to you, please quit before it does happen, I cannot take back my past but hopefully you can learn from mine.
Why haven't you left?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am

Live more strive less. You're going to be financially fine where you're going. You'll be with your S/O. Just go be happy. Fuck this job.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am

I have no personal life, so as bad as biglaw is, it's actually less daunting than the idea of going back out in the real world and being a normal human being at this point. Your job as a transactional attorney is also to spend 14 hours a day telling people why they shouldn't take risks and unfortunately that seeps into your personal attitude. At this point, if I quit, the idea of becoming a normal human again sounds daunting, totally forgotten what it feels like to be honest.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have no personal life, so as bad as biglaw is, it's actually less daunting than the idea of going back out in the real world and being a normal human being at this point. Your job as a transactional attorney is also to spend 14 hours a day telling people why they shouldn't take risks and unfortunately that seeps into your personal attitude. At this point, if I quit, the idea of becoming a normal human again sounds daunting, totally forgotten what it feels like to be honest.
You can fix this. You can't fix your shitty work environment.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:17 pm

The biggest consideration here should be how you feel about your place in the legal profession and your geography long term, as well as your debt load.

If you want to be this kind of lawyer in this region and have debt, rage quitting without a backup probably no bueno. If you don't want to be this kind of lawyer (or any lawyer), or are moving, and the debt is non-existent or manageable... #yolo?

Here's my story: I'm much closer to the second group I described above, and seriously considering "quitting biglaw with no backup." I'm in a corporate group at a big NYC firm, and things are just insane. I no longer know hope: the first year or two might be the worst, but the seniors (and partners!) still sometimes bill 300 hours, cancel plans, spend days putting out fires, then sit around doing nothing, etc.

It's toxic. You have to admit that. For a while, maybe the trade is fair: we get paid a lot, and were hired with little but the promise of eventually being good at our jobs. But it is toxic. It crowds out everything else in life and replaces it with money and self-destructive life choices and "prestige" and anxiety and sleep deprivation and the promise of doing it (or something similar) forever and ever.

Is that worth it? To you? Right now? For how long?

I am incredibly tired, and more than anything else, bitter/jaded. Like I said, hope of things improving has died and I don't think it's coming back. I no longer believe that if I just work harder and get better and more familiar I will be able to jury rig a life onto my biglaw existence.

Here's a relevant blog post from a therapist who used to work at S&C: http://thepeoplestherapist.com/2011/04/13/not-worth-it/
Will Meyerhofer wrote:A lawyer client, a fifth year at a big firm on the West Coast, mused to me the other day – “This job wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t end up crying alone in my office so much.”

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:42 pm

Let's all resign together on three.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResIpsa21

Bronze

Post by ResIpsa21 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 pm

That was awesome. Totally made my day to read such a perfect and rare statement of truth about biglaw. I also just lost 0.2 in billable hours. Shit, back to work.

Lexaholik

Bronze

Post by Lexaholik » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The biggest consideration here should be how you feel about your place in the legal profession and your geography long term, as well as your debt load.

If you want to be this kind of lawyer in this region and have debt, rage quitting without a backup probably no bueno. If you don't want to be this kind of lawyer (or any lawyer), or are moving, and the debt is non-existent or manageable... #yolo?

Here's my story: I'm much closer to the second group I described above, and seriously considering "quitting biglaw with no backup." I'm in a corporate group at a big NYC firm, and things are just insane. I no longer know hope: the first year or two might be the worst, but the seniors (and partners!) still sometimes bill 300 hours, cancel plans, spend days putting out fires, then sit around doing nothing, etc.

It's toxic. You have to admit that. For a while, maybe the trade is fair: we get paid a lot, and were hired with little but the promise of eventually being good at our jobs. But it is toxic. It crowds out everything else in life and replaces it with money and self-destructive life choices and "prestige" and anxiety and sleep deprivation and the promise of doing it (or something similar) forever and ever.

Is that worth it? To you? Right now? For how long?

I am incredibly tired, and more than anything else, bitter/jaded. Like I said, hope of things improving has died and I don't think it's coming back. I no longer believe that if I just work harder and get better and more familiar I will be able to jury rig a life onto my biglaw existence.

Here's a relevant blog post from a therapist who used to work at S&C: http://thepeoplestherapist.com/2011/04/13/not-worth-it/
Will Meyerhofer wrote:A lawyer client, a fifth year at a big firm on the West Coast, mused to me the other day – “This job wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t end up crying alone in my office so much.”
Don't think anyone disputes that you should jump off a burning ship. But don't let all the heat and smoke distract you from grabbing a lifejacket on your way out. Otherwise you're just trading one problem for another.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:25 pm

Leaning very strongly toward doing this in the coming months when my significant other relocates..

That said, what sort of notice would you all give? I know it's going to depend on workload but assuming my major matters are mostly wrapping up at the moment and August is typically sleepy, what's the norm for BigLaw?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:45 pm

2 weeks is all I've ever seen.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”