What is going wrong? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wonderwall87

New

What is going wrong?

Post by wonderwall87 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:26 pm

I am looking for insight into what employers are looking for on short interviews for internships? I interviewed with two firms that I really wanted to intern with part time this fall (2L year) and I thought the interviews went well, conversation flowed, but they were scheduled to only last around twenty minutes and I am wondering what I am failing to impress on the interviewers in this time period that I am getting passed over. They had my grades from transcript and rank on resume before I came in, so I think it is me :( I also interviewed for a litigation clinic for the fall which is public interest based and never heard back...

brazleton

Bronze

Re: What is going wrong?

Post by brazleton » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Last edited by brazleton on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Most jobs are 75% through networking. OCI is really the exception. It sounds like this is more like a regular job than the big firms. Therefore, it's conceivable you would not have gotten it even if you were the best interviewer alive today. You only know that it's about you (grades, weirdness, smelling, obesity) at OCI.

On the clinic front if other people heard back then yeah something is bad with your interviewing. The fact you never heard back could mean they're lazy, and unlikely but possible, if you are in a wheelchair or something, it's possible they were afraid sending a rejection would create potential legal action. If you think scenario 2 is possible then there's a bro on these forums hanging a shingle who'd love to help.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Get used to rejection, friend. It only gets worse your 3L year when they start actually mattering. Brazleton is spot on the money with what's happening right now. Welcome to russian roullette, and I hope that you don't lose.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:38 pm

This is way too small a sample to conclude that you're doing something wrong - no one gets every job they apply for. Also, do you mean a litigation clinic through your school, like a course? They have to let you know at some point, so you can register appropriately, so if you don't know the deadline for finding out, you might just try calling them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”