mass-mailing dilemma Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TFALAWL

Bronze

mass-mailing dilemma

Post by TFALAWL » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:51 am

I've done two rounds of mass-mail: 1 round of resume launchpad + 1 round of NALP. I have two questions: 1. I just realized that I've been somewhat sloppy (not enough customization/careless mistakes) and would like to re-mail the same places. 2. Where do I find more fodder - I think I've targeted every firm 3. When I mass mail again in August, do I just resend the same firms?

Thanks!

hoos89

Gold

Re: mass-mailing dilemma

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:10 am

You want to just re-send applications to the same firm? This seems a bit odd; firms will generally keep your stuff on file. Any further communication you have with a firm should be to follow up.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 am

If you made typos or said wrong names or whatever, for god's sake don't draw attention to it. What's done is done and by all accounts firms keep every communication you've had with them on file throughout the hiring process.

ResIpsa21

Bronze

Post by ResIpsa21 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:48 am

1) Unfortunately, there is no "dilemma" here -- you can't restart your applications or rehabilitate careless mistakes by re-sending your resume (except see #3 below). Firms are looking for reasons to reject applications so that they can winnow down their candidate pool, and basic errors are a fast-track to the "no" pile. Sorry, you're probably out of luck at those places. Best hope is that they don't notice (unlikely), and there's absolutely no reason to draw attention by re-sending your materials.

2) Without knowing your school / class rank / credentials, it's hard to suggest sources for other firms. If you've already applied to everything you can find on NALP (wow), then I guess you're prepared to send hundreds of applications. In that case, you can hit up the NLJ 350 for more ideas.

3) As previously stated, don't "mass mail again" just for the sake of sending the same resume. Law firm recruiters are not stupid, they didn't just lose your resume and forget to contact you. If you want to show your continued interest, send a very brief follow-up letter updating the firms on some new bit of information and perhaps stating when you will be available for interviews. If something on your resume has changed, then you can send the new resume along with the letter of continued interest. That might be one way to get your corrected resume in front of the recruiters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”