NYC V10 from Median (or slightly below) + WE at CCN? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC V10 from Median (or slightly below) + WE at CCN?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Just wondering if there's a decent chance. From what I've seen, top third is generally the cutoff for the more prestigious firms, but I was wondering if interviewing skills + impressive WE would help? I want to work in M&A and I have fairly extensive experience working in investment banking at one of the more well known (or infamous?) banks. I have worked with several V10 firms on deals and I have networked fairly extensively with them as well. At the same time though, I have heard that grades are by far the most important thing and that many firms won't look at you if you're not up to par. Any advice?

filibuster

Bronze

Re: NYC V10 from Median (or slightly below) + WE at CCN?

Post by filibuster » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Dude are you a nerd or can you hold a conversation? Shut up and stop worrying about the odds.

Please remember that you are in the on-topics, not the lounge.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:25 pm

Last edited by bearsfan23 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm not really worried about odds so much as overcoming mediocre grades. I'm confident that I'd be able to go through most interviews based on my experience, but everything I've heard suggests that legal interviews are mostly formalities and your grades always come first and foremost. I wanted to know if having relevant experience will overcome the barrier of not having the idea grades these firms are looking for.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not really worried about odds so much as overcoming mediocre grades. I'm confident that I'd be able to go through most interviews based on my experience, but everything I've heard suggests that legal interviews are mostly formalities and your grades always come first and foremost. I wanted to know if having relevant experience will overcome the barrier of not having the idea grades these firms are looking for.
Who told you interviews were mostly formalities?
Misread: isn't median going to get you some screeners?
Why do you only want V10?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm

NYSprague wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not really worried about odds so much as overcoming mediocre grades. I'm confident that I'd be able to go through most interviews based on my experience, but everything I've heard suggests that legal interviews are mostly formalities and your grades always come first and foremost. I wanted to know if having relevant experience will overcome the barrier of not having the idea grades these firms are looking for.
OP here.

Before attending law school I reached out to some of the attorneys I worked with and I can distinctly recall an associate at a top firm say that grades were paramount to everything else and, even if you had an excellent interview, you wouldn't be able to overcome being below that firm's cutoff. He told me that he's interviewed candidates that he's really liked, but couldn't bring them in for callbacks because of their grades. I'm not sure if his firm is just particularly anal, but I was wondering if that was the case anywhere else.

I believe every firm that I've worked with on an M&A deal has been one of the V10 (or close) and for the work that I want to do (public M&A), the quality of dealflow seems to drop off considerably outside the top ten firms or so.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYSprague wrote:
OP here.

Before attending law school I reached out to some of the attorneys I worked with and I can distinctly recall an associate at a top firm say that grades were paramount to everything else and, even if you had an excellent interview, you wouldn't be able to overcome being below that firm's cutoff. He told me that he's interviewed candidates that he's really liked, but couldn't bring them in for callbacks because of their grades. I'm not sure if his firm is just particularly anal, but I was wondering if that was the case anywhere else.

I believe every firm that I've worked with on an M&A deal has been one of the V10 (or close) and for the work that I want to do (public M&A), the quality of dealflow seems to drop off considerably outside the top ten firms or so.
Some firms do have hard cut offs. But your experience should help you. People with your background are uncommon.
I don't know what to tell you other than apply and work your contacts.
Have you talked to any of the partners at these firms who were on your deals or senior associates who ran them? Use your connections, tell them you're bidding, whatever is appropriate.
Last edited by NYSprague on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYSprague wrote:
OP here.

Cut offs is the bare minimum you need. I'd imagine most V10 will hire a median CCN student. However, you have to impress them into getting the offer. They aren't going to hire everyone, nor even most, people over the bare minimum.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:59 pm

^^^^^
Don't assume interviews don't matter. Work on your interviewing and be prepared. Don't wing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NYSprague wrote:
OP here.

OP - based on my experience at a V10 in M&A, everyone you posted above is true. You're in a crappy spot but there's always Skadden. Also, a handful of non-V10 firms have quasi-OK public M&A practices, generally sell-side; Fried Frank does, IIRC, White and Case has the guy they hired from Dewey, etc.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:32 am

I'm a little surprised someone would go to law school with only 10 firms worldwide they would consider working for. But those 10 have big classes so maybe it's a wash?
I would work connections, as I said before, even people at your old job who have connections to firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”