Bid list critique 3.51 t14 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bid list critique 3.51 t14

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:39 pm

help! 3.51 Non-AA URM (don't think it matters much) language skills lower t14 ... I want to know generally if the list looks conservative enough or if I should add less selective firms.. have no preference for litigation or transactional at the moment..

New York Sidley Austin
New York Willkie Farr & Gallagher
New York Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker
New York Shearman & Sterling
New York Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
New York Cahill Gordon & Reindel
New York Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison
New York Weil Gotshal & Manges
New York White & Case
New York Clifford Chance
New York Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy
New York Simpson Thacher & Bartlett
New York Proskauer
Boston Ropes and Gray
New York Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft
New York Latham & Watkins
Houston Vinson & Elkins
New York Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld
New York Linklaters
New York Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson
Houston Haynes Boone
New York Cravath Swaine & Moore
Chicago Mayer Brown
Houston Baker Botts
Boston Goodwin Procter
New York Davis Polk & Wardwell
New York Debevoise & Plimpton
New York Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom
Houston Locke Lord
New York Kirkland & Ellis
New York Allen & Overy
New York Sullivan & Cromwell

filibuster

Bronze

Re: Bid list critique 3.51 t14

Post by filibuster » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Your grades are awesome, but you seem to have no clue what you want to do. The bigger question: what's your gameplan? The bid list should be the least of your concerns.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:52 pm

3.51 means different things at different schools. Most (all?) T14 schools have a 3.3 median, but the distribution can be really wide or really narrow. You should probably specify the school if you want constructive feedback.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:03 am

If you are at C then this is median and your bid list is awful. UVA not so much. Need to know the specific school

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:00 pm

OP here. Not at C. I would like to know if you guys notice anything odd. I'm inclined to say right now I'm 75% transactional 25% litigation. But the main objective is still getting an offer.

median ~3.3

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Not at C. I would like to know if you guys notice anything odd. I'm inclined to say right now I'm 75% transactional 25% litigation. But the main objective is still getting an offer.

median ~3.3
As people have said, knowing the median is helpful but there's still a lot of variation. You're anonymous, either say your school or give "top X%." Otherwise people can't meaningfully help you.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:15 pm

What jumped out at me immediately is the 4 different offices/geographic areas.
Why Ropes Boston but not Ropes NYC? The single Chicago bid?
From your list, it looks like you're in school in NY/East and may have ties to Houston/some desire to return there, but the other picks really jumped out at me.
That said, I only bid one market - maybe someone who bid multiples could weigh in on how best to do this without wasting bids?

(Also, echoing the others - where you are in school matters, in terms of any advice we can offer.)

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:16 pm

Based on the limited information we have to work with this seems fine. You will get more useful info if you give more info. But at a high level of generality you appear to be on the right track.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:38 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Based on the limited information we have to work with this seems fine. You will get more useful info if you give more info. But at a high level of generality you appear to be on the right track.
nygrrrl wrote:What jumped out at me immediately is the 4 different offices/geographic areas.
Why Ropes Boston but not Ropes NYC? The single Chicago bid?
From your list, it looks like you're in school in NY/East and may have ties to Houston/some desire to return there, but the other picks really jumped out at me.
That said, I only bid one market - maybe someone who bid multiples could weigh in on how best to do this without wasting bids?

(Also, echoing the others - where you are in school matters, in terms of any advice we can offer.)
OP here. thanks.

I've specific reason for the random firms (number one being I don't want to waste any bids)... I'm barely within the top third.. I'm specially worried about being too cocky and that feeling has made me change the list numerous times.Though it seems the list is generally OK and that's what I wanted to verify.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”