Immigration at BigLaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
unclepete

Bronze

Immigration at BigLaw?

Post by unclepete » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm

So, I was a paralegal at a very large immigration firm before LS (the only such firm), and I really want to practice in that area. I'd love to either go back to that firm as an attorney or clerk for the immigration courts after grad. However, that firm does not do OCI in my Southern California city.

I am transferring to a school that will have all of the BigLaw firms at OCI, and I am finding it very difficult not to make bids (the "what if i turn down this opportunity and can't find anything in the public sector and I`m screwed" syndrome). However, I am not interested in most of the practice areas at these firms. I could handle the hours if I was doing something I love, like immigration.

Do any of these firms have a business immigration practice within them? Anyone know of any large companies that have in-house immigration attorneys I can reach out to?

Thanks!

unclepete

Bronze

Re: Immigration at BigLaw?

Post by unclepete » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Anyone?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:49 pm

While you might be able to find it, I really doubt it. Nobody is paying biglaw money for immigration work.

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Which I find strange because the firm I worked for had all large corporate clients who paid an average of $30k total in legal fees to us for each of their skilled workers (we're talking H-1B/employment-based green cards, etc.) And these companies (Microsoft, Exxon, etc) have thousands of high-skilled immigrant workers.

Thought there might be a shot.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:30 pm

unclepete wrote:Which I find strange because the firm I worked for had all large corporate clients who paid an average of $30k total in legal fees to us for each of their skilled workers (we're talking H-1B/employment-based green cards, etc.) And these companies (Microsoft, Exxon, etc) have thousands of high-skilled immigrant workers.

Thought there might be a shot.
How many hours did it take to do it? 30k gets you around 30 hours of Associate and 10 hours of partner time at biglaw rates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:41 pm

The amount of higher end immigration work is pretty limited, and I doubt you'll find many biglaw firms in that practice area. You can find some small boutiques that do very specialized work that pay well, but it's not something that they can turn into a large law firm practice. Most immigration work is done at smaller firms/by solos and pays pretty poorly. You might want to consider other areas of the law if you want biglaw (assuming the firm at which you were a paralegal doesn't hire you).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:04 pm

Anon because I have a similar background to you. There are several biglaw firms that have immigration practices within them, but they're not something that they are looking to hire directly for and tend to be very small. I think your best bet might be to get into one of those firms and hope to be able to eventually enter that field and do some work for them, but I think if you act like that's your main interest in your interview, you will probably get passed up. Maybe try also focusing on labor and employment?

wingding

Bronze

Post by wingding » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:04 pm

unclepete wrote:So, I was a paralegal at a very large immigration firm before LS (the only such firm)
May as well just say Fragomen.

I think they're pretty much the only ones doing high-end immigration, and have carved out a really nice niche.
Then again, I don't know shit, so don't take my word for it

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon because I have a similar background to you. There are several biglaw firms that have immigration practices within them, but they're not something that they are looking to hire directly for and tend to be very small. I think your best bet might be to get into one of those firms and hope to be able to eventually enter that field and do some work for them, but I think if you act like that's your main interest in your interview, you will probably get passed up. Maybe try also focusing on labor and employment?
Mind PMing me?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:09 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:The amount of higher end immigration work is pretty limited, and I doubt you'll find many biglaw firms in that practice area. You can find some small boutiques that do very specialized work that pay well, but it's not something that they can turn into a large law firm practice. Most immigration work is done at smaller firms/by solos and pays pretty poorly. You might want to consider other areas of the law if you want biglaw (assuming the firm at which you were a paralegal doesn't hire you).
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Which is why I`m terrified that I`m making the wrong decision by transferring. Unfortunately, I just can't get excited about spending 12 hours a day doing pretty much any area within BigLaw

randomstudent

Bronze

Post by randomstudent » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are several biglaw firms that have immigration practices within them, but they're not something that they are looking to hire directly for and tend to be very small. I think your best bet might be to get into one of those firms and hope to be able to eventually enter that field and do some work for them . . . .
This. For example, I've heard Baker & McKenzie has a good immigration practice, but I don't know how easy it is to break into that practice as a summer associate or recent graduate.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:29 pm

randomstudent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There are several biglaw firms that have immigration practices within them, but they're not something that they are looking to hire directly for and tend to be very small. I think your best bet might be to get into one of those firms and hope to be able to eventually enter that field and do some work for them . . . .
This.
That's a bad plan if you really want immigration. Small niche practices are not easy to work your way into. You'd better off trying to work for a high end immigration botique.

randomstudent

Bronze

Post by randomstudent » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
randomstudent wrote:
This.
That's a bad plan if you really want immigration. Small niche practices are not easy to work your way into. You'd better off trying to work for a high end immigration botique.
Hmm. You may be right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:41 pm

randomstudent wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
randomstudent wrote:
This.
Hmm. You may be right.
Yes, but so damn scared to sit out OCI.

randomstudent

Bronze

Post by randomstudent » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Let us know what you decide to do, unclepete. Some of us are in similar situations, trying to figure out what to do.
Last edited by randomstudent on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wingding

Bronze

Post by wingding » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:20 pm

unclepete wrote:Yes, but so damn scared to sit out OCI.
Why on earth would you sit out OCI?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:20 pm

wingding wrote:
Because there won't be immigration firms there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wingding

Bronze

Post by wingding » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
wingding wrote:
Go to OCI, get an offer, but keep applying to immigration firms.

Better to have a backup plan

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:11 pm

unclepete wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:The amount of higher end immigration work is pretty limited, and I doubt you'll find many biglaw firms in that practice area. You can find some small boutiques that do very specialized work that pay well, but it's not something that they can turn into a large law firm practice. Most immigration work is done at smaller firms/by solos and pays pretty poorly. You might want to consider other areas of the law if you want biglaw (assuming the firm at which you were a paralegal doesn't hire you).
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Which is why I`m terrified that I`m making the wrong decision by transferring. Unfortunately, I just can't get excited about spending 12 hours a day doing pretty much any area within BigLaw
Don't worry, your excitement level will go up substantially every two weeks :lol:

More seriously, if you're looking at transferring for a prestige bump in school rank and are solely interested in immigration work, you might be better off just staying put (assuming your getting a large scholarship at your current school, but will be paying sticker at the new school). It's a lot easier to take a low paid immigration attorney position when you have little or no-debt than it is when you have $150k+ in debt. You also most likely won't need to be putting in 12 hour work days.
wingding wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
wingding wrote:
Go to OCI, get an offer, but keep applying to immigration firms.

+1.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:33 am

wingding wrote:
This would be extremely stupid. This is the only time in your life firms will be lining up to talk to you. You need a job. Do OCI. You might find firms you enjoy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:41 am

Desert Fox wrote:
randomstudent wrote:
This.
I'm the anon quoted. Yes it's not a good plan if you are immigration or bust, but if your priority is biglaw with the chance of immigration, I think it's the only thing that makes sense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:36 pm

wingding wrote: Go to OCI, get an offer, but keep applying to immigration firms.

My concerns are twofold:

1. If I take my focus off of immigration, I`ll make it harder on myself to lock something down in the field. If I get an offer after OCI, I would have to accept or decline before I know if I`ll have other options.
2. I`ll be swooned by dat $ and never look back

I should add that I`m trying to clerk at the immigration court after school, which is technically a federal clerkship. I suppose BigLaw next summer would help me obtain this? Or should I be gunning for, say, the DOJ Summer Intern program in DC?

I realize how all over the place I am, haha.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:12 pm

unclepete wrote:
wingding wrote: Go to OCI, get an offer, but keep applying to immigration firms.

My concerns are twofold:

1. If I take my focus off of immigration, I`ll make it harder on myself to lock something down in the field. If I get an offer after OCI, I would have to accept or decline before I know if I`ll have other options.

I should add that I`m trying to clerk at the immigration court after school, which is technically a federal clerkship. I suppose BigLaw next summer would help me obtain this? Or should I be gunning for, say, the DOJ Summer Intern program in DC?

Let me make this clear: you need a job. OCI is the only time firms,ready to hire, will come to you. You seem to underestimate how difficult it is to get any job. Limiting yourself to big law immigration is a direct path to unemployment.

You should know how few visas there are every year. It isn't profitable for most big law firms.

Fwiw, all big law firms do immigration pro bono work. I have done some asylum work myself.

At the very least, do OCI as if you want a job to get interview practice and to learn about big law firms. It is stupid to throw this opportunity away. You might find a firm you like.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:07 pm

unclepete wrote:

My concerns are twofold:

Doing biglaw won't help you get an IJ clerkship after graduation (though that's only a temporary job, as I understand it). Try to get immigration experience; clerking for an IJ through SLIP would be very helpful (and if you get SLIP you even get paid, a little). Depending where you are, there are small firms that do immigration (including business), but they're not going to follow the biglaw hiring model, so you have to be willing to risk bypassing that to take on that kind of experience. (Not saying whether you should or shouldn't bypass biglaw; you have to decide that for yourself.)

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:12 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
unclepete wrote:

My concerns are twofold:

Doing biglaw won't help you get an IJ clerkship after graduation (though that's only a temporary job, as I understand it). Try to get immigration experience; clerking for an IJ through SLIP would be very helpful (and if you get SLIP you even get paid, a little). Depending where you are, there are small firms that do immigration (including business), but they're not going to follow the biglaw hiring model, so you have to be willing to risk bypassing that to take on that kind of experience. (Not saying whether you should or shouldn't bypass biglaw; you have to decide that for yourself.)
Thanks for the info! I can't seem to find a thread on SLIP, but I know I've seen a lot of them in the past. Is SLIP transfer-friendly?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”