Vandy OCI c/o 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Vandy OCI c/o 2016

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bid list finalized.

I'm targeting the West Coast and DC. I have no desire to work anywhere else so I left a lot of bids on the table. Worst idea ever? I'll find out soon enough.
There's still a couple of hours to fill the rest of your bidlist. Unless you have a 3.8, I'd be throwing in some NYC bids. A job in NYC is better than unemployment in LA.
I have a 2L SA offer in NYC but I have no desire to work there. I'm utilizing OCI for non-NYC opportunities.
Very Nice. Most of us will be looking to get through the next few weeks alive/with a callback

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:51 am

BearLaw wrote:
DC is tough because it is DC, but if that is your choice market, bid those firms toward the top of your list and you should get at least some interviews in that market. Remember, the class isnt all that big, so there is not likely to be a ton of people bidding the same market first (NYC excepted, and maybe Nashville but its hard to say). I know several people who got offers in DC and at least one who had an offer before OCI even happened last year. If you know a market you really want to work in, I would bid that high and then hit NYC later, or a second market you would not mind working in.

I knew what city I wanted to be in and bid that city exclusively. In retrospect, I was probably stupid not to bid at least some in NYC as a hedge, but I got screeners with every firm from that city at OCI, multiple callbacks and offers. It worked out for me, but like I said, I would not advise putting all your eggs in one basket.

Also, the resume drops that CSO does are actually pretty helpful, I got several phone screeners and two callbacks from those.

Im not sure what the actual grade cuts are at a lot of firms and I dont think CSO will be more specific than what is on Symplicity (either because they dont know or just arent telling). I would say at least be above what is online when you bid, but I cant say for certain how far. I got call backs from some places that I was barely over their posted cut, and missed places where I was well over it. I think that comes down to interviewing and luck.
So a lot of people bid NYC high? I sorta figured that would be a backup for most people, am i mistaken?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:33 pm

Now we wait…

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Now we wait…
T minus 14 days...

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BearLaw wrote:
DC is tough because it is DC, but if that is your choice market, bid those firms toward the top of your list and you should get at least some interviews in that market. Remember, the class isnt all that big, so there is not likely to be a ton of people bidding the same market first (NYC excepted, and maybe Nashville but its hard to say). I know several people who got offers in DC and at least one who had an offer before OCI even happened last year. If you know a market you really want to work in, I would bid that high and then hit NYC later, or a second market you would not mind working in.

I knew what city I wanted to be in and bid that city exclusively. In retrospect, I was probably stupid not to bid at least some in NYC as a hedge, but I got screeners with every firm from that city at OCI, multiple callbacks and offers. It worked out for me, but like I said, I would not advise putting all your eggs in one basket.

Also, the resume drops that CSO does are actually pretty helpful, I got several phone screeners and two callbacks from those.

Im not sure what the actual grade cuts are at a lot of firms and I dont think CSO will be more specific than what is on Symplicity (either because they dont know or just arent telling). I would say at least be above what is online when you bid, but I cant say for certain how far. I got call backs from some places that I was barely over their posted cut, and missed places where I was well over it. I think that comes down to interviewing and luck.
So a lot of people bid NYC high? I sorta figured that would be a backup for most people, am i mistaken?
Its not so much that NYC is bid highly by a lot of people, I really only knew a few who WANTED NYC last year, but my feeling was that a lot of people bid NYC in the middle as a hedge. Like I said though, I only really bid a single market last year, so my experience is not all that vast.

PM me if you have more specific questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Bids bids can't wait for bids.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bids bids can't wait for bids.
yeah can't stop thinking that my bidding strategy was shit and I'll end up with like 5 screeners

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
yeah can't stop thinking that my bidding strategy was shit and I'll end up with like 5 screeners
Lol, strategy? I was just like bid the five firms in the city I'm targeting, and then just pick thirty bids out of a hat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol, strategy? I was just like bid the five firms in the city I'm targeting, and then just pick thirty bids out of a hat.
lol I bid all the firms in all the cities until I ran out of bids. Then I organized it in a way I thought would result in more interviews. I just want a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:12 pm

On Symplicity now it only shows the lottery slots for each firm. Only having 9 lottery slots is hilarious. It just hit me that all my bids past 15 are likely wasted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On Symplicity now it only shows the lottery slots for each firm. Only having 9 lottery slots is hilarious. It just hit me that all my bids past 15 are likely wasted.
Yea, good for only picking up pre-selects

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On Symplicity now it only shows the lottery slots for each firm. Only having 9 lottery slots is hilarious. It just hit me that all my bids past 15 are likely wasted.
Which would be workable if I had any idea what basis firms pre-select on....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Which would be workable if I had any idea what basis firms pre-select on....
If they don't take cover letters, seems pretty obvious it's grades + obvious geographical ties. I doubt anyone will preselect you based on much else, unless they're REALLY passionate about your sorority or something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:51 pm

T-minus 3 hours or so

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T-minus 3 hours or so
Most optimistic OCI post award

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
haha yeah.

But if you look at Symplicity all the slots have been given out. Dunno what they're doing now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
haha yeah.

But if you look at Symplicity all the slots have been given out. Dunno what they're doing now.
According to the CSO, schedules are coming out by the end of the work day. Probably pushing it as late as possible to avoid phone calls.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Bids are out.

Slaughter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Got a bunch of interviews at firms where I have no ties whatsoever, and completely missed the boat on firms from my home market. WTF is going on?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a bunch of interviews at firms where I have no ties whatsoever, and completely missed the boat on firms from my home market. WTF is going on?
Same, completely missed my target market but got some other ones in oddball reaches of the US

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:49 pm

wow, the fact that you don't know which ones are pre-select and which bid-ranked is freaking me out! pretty much 99.9% overlap between top 10 bids&interviews granted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:51 pm

how many interviews did y'all get? I'm wondering if mine (12) are ALL just lucky lotteries (employers hated me) or about average haul.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:54 pm

With most firms having only ~9 lottery slots, if you got anything that you ranked lower than 10, then you probably were preselected unless you're talking about the massive schedules.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how many interviews did y'all get? I'm wondering if mine (12) are ALL just lucky lotteries (employers hated me) or about average haul.
GPA/Rank?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how many interviews did y'all get? I'm wondering if mine (12) are ALL just lucky lotteries (employers hated me) or about average haul.
GPA/Rank?

Slightly above 3.5, non-LR

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”