question about DOJ honors components vs. USAO's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
objctnyrhnr

question about DOJ honors components vs. USAO's

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:56 am

I am a little bit confused about the "participating components" vs the "participating US attorneys offices" thing on the website. Specifically, let's say hypothetically that I was interested in one of the 8 listed criminal trial attorney positions. This seems to be a participating component. Are these 8 positions spread over the participating USAO's, or are they all in DC and then are there a bunch of other separate, generic honors program positions at the participating USAO's listed below?

also, and this might be a stupid question, obviously anybody selected will be practicing federal law. Does this mean that it does not matter what state one is barred in? in other words, can a Rhode Island person have the same chance of getting the CO USAO spot as a CO barred person?

Anonymous User

Re: question about DOJ honors components vs. USAO's

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:09 am

In looking at the Honors site, it appears they're taking 8 criminal trial attorneys for the Criminal Division, and taking 12 AUSAs in the various USAOs that are listed. These are separate. CrimDiv attorneys are not AUSAs (though they occasionally will be detailed as SAUSAs). CrimDiv attorneys work for main justice in one of the specific criminal sections - Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, Organized Crime and Gangs, Child Exploitation and Obscenity, etc. They still do trial work, but they only work in those specific, specialized areas - they're like litigation experts on their section's mission. Only the 12 people hired as AUSAs by the participating USAOs will be AUSAs.

The people hired for CrimDiv will likely work wherever the section they end up in is headquartered (all of which are in DC, I believe). The AUSAs that get hired will go to whichever USAO chose to hire them (unless they've changed something from past years, each USAO interviews separately).

In terms of bar exam, each of the USAO offices generally lists what their bar requirements are. It looks like the only 2015 USAO that will require a second bar exam is N.D. Ohio, the rest all seem to indicate that any bar admission will do. That said, double-check me on that, because I'm going off of memory and woke up an hour ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:31 am

^ this is correct. And it really doesn't matter where you're barred. USAOs may ask you about ties to the area, but whether you're barred there isn't an issue.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:In looking at the Honors site, it appears they're taking 8 criminal trial attorneys for the Criminal Division, and taking 12 AUSAs in the various USAOs that are listed. These are separate. CrimDiv attorneys are not AUSAs (though they occasionally will be detailed as SAUSAs). CrimDiv attorneys work for main justice in one of the specific criminal sections - Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, Organized Crime and Gangs, Child Exploitation and Obscenity, etc. They still do trial work, but they only work in those specific, specialized areas - they're like litigation experts on their section's mission. Only the 12 people hired as AUSAs by the participating USAOs will be AUSAs.

The people hired for CrimDiv will likely work wherever the section they end up in is headquartered (all of which are in DC, I believe). The AUSAs that get hired will go to whichever USAO chose to hire them (unless they've changed something from past years, each USAO interviews separately).

In terms of bar exam, each of the USAO offices generally lists what their bar requirements are. It looks like the only 2015 USAO that will require a second bar exam is N.D. Ohio, the rest all seem to indicate that any bar admission will do. That said, double-check me on that, because I'm going off of memory and woke up an hour ago.

great thank you so much for the detailed and informative response. I guess I was a little confused about the main justice vs. usao distinction.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”