Median Dilemma Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Median Dilemma

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:43 am

Current rising 2L at T1 with median grades. As a 1L sent the usual mass mail package (CL, R, T) to a reputable firm in my home market after first semester median grades. Partner directly emails me and in short says "we do not hire 1Ls, you have an impressive background, contact me in the summer for a 2L SA).

This firm usually hires only those with top grades from my T1, so I was surprised to have received that response.

When I email back for a 2L SA, do I include my median grades transcript or just simply send an "updated resume". Don't really want to reinforce that I am still at median.

Thanks in advance

hellojd

Bronze

Re: Median Dilemma

Post by hellojd » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Current rising 2L at T1 with median grades. As a 1L sent the usual mass mail package (CL, R, T) to a reputable firm in my home market after first semester median grades. Partner directly emails me and in short says "we do not hire 1Ls, you have an impressive background, contact me in the summer for a 2L SA).

This firm usually hires only those with top grades from my T1, so I was surprised to have received that response.

When I email back for a 2L SA, do I include my median grades transcript or just simply send an "updated resume". Don't really want to reinforce that I am still at median.

Thanks in advance
They're going to ask you at some point for your transcript, but there's probably no need to preempt that prematurely, particularly because they may call you in for an interview before they look at your grades. Just reach out and e-mail saying you're interested without including the transcript - worst they do is simply ask for the transcript after you e-mail.

Luein

New

Post by Luein » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:29 am

hellojd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Current rising 2L at T1 with median grades. As a 1L sent the usual mass mail package (CL, R, T) to a reputable firm in my home market after first semester median grades. Partner directly emails me and in short says "we do not hire 1Ls, you have an impressive background, contact me in the summer for a 2L SA).

Thanks in advance
They're going to ask you at some point for your transcript, but there's probably no need to preempt that prematurely, particularly because they may call you in for an interview before they look at your grades. Just reach out and e-mail saying you're interested without including the transcript - worst they do is simply ask for the transcript after you e-mail.
This feels like ignoring the elephant in the room and seems like it would be weird to do. Just a law student, though--what do I know.

CicerBRo

Bronze

Post by CicerBRo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:39 am

Luein wrote:
hellojd wrote:

Thanks in advance
This feels like ignoring the elephant in the room and seems like it would be weird to do. Just a law student, though--what do I know.
Agreed. It could look irresponsible and draw MORE attention to your transcript if you don't include it. Including a transcript is the norm; don't diverge from it.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:57 am

CicerBRo wrote:
Agreed. It could look irresponsible and draw MORE attention to your transcript if you don't include it. Including a transcript is the norm; don't diverge from it.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:59 am

His response is a typical/generic one to 1L applications. Still, you should obviously renenhahe him directly in the fall. Send him everything you have, transcript included

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:11 am

Just to emphasize the general/form-response nature of the reply you received:

In 1L, I once sent an email to a biglaw firm. In it, I attached nothing (no resume, no transcript, no anything). The complete text of my email:

"Hello,

I am wondering if [firm] considers hiring 1L candidates. If so, to whom should I direct an application?

Best,

[Name]"

Their response the next day:
"Thank you for your correspondence and resume. We were genuinely impressed with your qualifications. Unfortunately, we are not hiring 1L candidates at this time. Given your credentials, we do strongly encourage you to consider applying next year."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”