CCBA Job Fair (2014) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: CCBA Job Fair (2014)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Before getting this e-mail indicating that these firms would take on additional interviews, K&E was the only interview I got through the fair. This might be reading too much into it, but would it be reasonable to assume that I was preselected by K&E rather than lottery choice? Granted, I ranked them #1, so it could definitely be a lottery, but it's always nice to know going in if I was a preselect. I'm thinking this because I would assume K&E would have been bid on by enough people to have no more slots left. It's a stretch, I know.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Before getting this e-mail indicating that these firms would take on additional interviews, K&E was the only interview I got through the fair. This might be reading too much into it, but would it be reasonable to assume that I was preselected by K&E rather than lottery choice? Granted, I ranked them #1, so it could definitely be a lottery, but it's always nice to know going in if I was a preselect. I'm thinking this because I would assume K&E would have been bid on by enough people to have no more slots left. It's a stretch, I know.
It is literally impossible to say for sure. You should prep as if you weren't a pre-select and hustle hustle hustle. If you are a preselect then the hustle will still work in your favor. There's really no reason to relax and interview differently if you're preselect v. lottery, a callback is not guaranteed for anyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:17 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Before getting this e-mail indicating that these firms would take on additional interviews, K&E was the only interview I got through the fair. This might be reading too much into it, but would it be reasonable to assume that I was preselected by K&E rather than lottery choice? Granted, I ranked them #1, so it could definitely be a lottery, but it's always nice to know going in if I was a preselect. I'm thinking this because I would assume K&E would have been bid on by enough people to have no more slots left. It's a stretch, I know.
It is literally impossible to say for sure. You should prep as if you weren't a pre-select and hustle hustle hustle. If you are a preselect then the hustle will still work in your favor. There's really no reason to relax and interview differently if you're preselect v. lottery, a callback is not guaranteed for anyone.
Thanks shadowofjazz! It ultimately doesn't matter and like you said, I should be hustling regardless. It's my only interview at the fair, and I will be flying from California. I also asked because I wanted to assess my probability of converting it into a CB in order to determine whether it's worth the trip, but K&E is still K&E, so even if a very small chance, should be worth a few hundred dollars.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
Thanks shadowofjazz! It ultimately doesn't matter and like you said, I should be hustling regardless. It's my only interview at the fair, and I will be flying from California. I also asked because I wanted to assess my probability of converting it into a CB in order to determine whether it's worth the trip, but K&E is still K&E, so even if a very small chance, should be worth a few hundred dollars.
Definitely worth the $$$. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:01 pm

Last email confirms that 8 is the maximum amount of interviews one student may get. I'm assuming they ran pre-selects before lottery. I got firms 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25 + a couple of others. I imagine that if I did not bid 25 different firms my results may have been different / more favorable (I only got one of my top 10 choices). Just an FYI to people bidding on CCBA in 2015 . . . if you have top 10% grades keep this in consideration?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Last email confirms that 8 is the maximum amount of interviews one student may get. I'm assuming they ran pre-selects before lottery. I got firms 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25 + a couple of others. I imagine that if I did not bid 25 different firms my results may have been different / more favorable (I only got one of my top 10 choices). Just an FYI to people bidding on CCBA in 2015 . . . if you have top 10% grades keep this in consideration?
Wait, in confused... Explain?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:31 am

lhanvt13 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Last email confirms that 8 is the maximum amount of interviews one student may get. I'm assuming they ran pre-selects before lottery. I got firms 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25 + a couple of others. I imagine that if I did not bid 25 different firms my results may have been different / more favorable (I only got one of my top 10 choices). Just an FYI to people bidding on CCBA in 2015 . . . if you have top 10% grades keep this in consideration?
So it seems that the system maximizes the amount of interviews to the extent that most of us here end up with 7ish interviews. I'm assuming that those who do not get pre-selects (or only get limited amounts of pre-selects) are bumped up to the front of the line for lottery choices. My theory is that if I bid on less firms I would have still ended up with 7 interviews from a more favorable list of firms (although I would probably end up with less pre-selects I would have received more firms via lottery). This is all just wild speculation of course.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
So it seems that the system maximizes the amount of interviews to the extent that most of us here end up with 7ish interviews. I'm assuming that those who do not get pre-selects (or only get limited amounts of pre-selects) are bumped up to the front of the line for lottery choices. My theory is that if I bid on less firms I would have still ended up with 7 interviews from a more favorable list of firms (although I would probably end up with less pre-selects I would have received more firms via lottery). This is all just wild speculation of course.
You're right about wild speculation - I don't think what you said can be right. There are people with preselects who look like they got lottery picks who got 8 total, people who only got 2-3 interviews, and people who got 0 interviews. I don't think the lottery was run with who got pre-selects in mind, I think it was truly random. That being said, I also think the lottery was run incorrectly since firms like K&E somehow don't have full schedules even though it's almost a guarantee that every 2L had them on their bid list (and probably in the top 5).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
You're right about wild speculation - I don't think what you said can be right. There are people with preselects who look like they got lottery picks who got 8 total, people who only got 2-3 interviews, and people who got 0 interviews. I don't think the lottery was run with who got pre-selects in mind, I think it was truly random. That being said, I also think the lottery was run incorrectly since firms like K&E somehow don't have full schedules even though it's almost a guarantee that every 2L had them on their bid list (and probably in the top 5).
I think the likelihood that it was run incorrectly is more likely. I mean, I had Kirkland at #1 and didn't get them, yet they apparently didn't fill their schedule - that makes no sense. Especially considering I then got #3, 6, and 9 (which were probably lottery).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fruitlobber

New

Post by fruitlobber » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:11 am

lololol "pleaseeeee fellow messsage board posters boost my self-esteem and reassure me!! i want ALL the pre-selects. and no im not aware about how douchey this sounds!!!"

fruitlobber

New

Post by fruitlobber » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:12 am

RVP10 wrote:School: T14
Ties to Chicago?: Strong ties
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of Bids: 25
# of Interviews (w/ bid numbers - closer to 1 is more likely lottery, closer to 25 is more likely pre-select): 7 (3, 11, 14, 15, 20, 23, 25)

I guess I can't complain about the number of interviews I'm getting, but am a little disappointed that I only got one of my top ten choice. I guess my career adviser was right to tell me that unless you have a 4.0 or are an extreme URM (e.g. like an Eskimo-no pun intended), the CCBA results wouldn't be anything spectacular.
7 (out of the max 8 interviews) is disappointing. only on TLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:51 am

School: T14
Ties to Chicago?: Some

# of Interviews: 8 (5 of top 10 bids)

Happily surprised with the outcome.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:20 am

Anyone hear back after submitting an additional interview request?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Anyone hear back after submitting an additional interview request?
Given the mad rush of people sending in K&E requests, I wouldn't expect a receipt confirmation e-mail. Request forms aren't due till Wednesday at noon, so I wouldn't expect actual movement till Wednesday night at the earliest (most likely end of the week).

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:42 am

bananasplit19 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Anyone hear back after submitting an additional interview request?
Given the mad rush of people sending in K&E requests, I wouldn't expect a receipt confirmation e-mail. Request forms aren't due till Wednesday at noon, so I wouldn't expect actual movement till Wednesday night at the earliest (most likely end of the week).
Well it's first come first served, I'm sure someone should've seen something by now...whether that person is on TLS is another story.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:50 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:
Well it's first come first served, I'm sure someone should've seen something by now...whether that person is on TLS is another story.
If they do this like other job fairs handle alternate bids, they'll pull 'em all at once on Wednesday, and just go by timestamp to determine the "first come first serve" aspect of it. Also, LOL at the idea of CCBA doing things quickly/ahead of schedule.

fruitlobber

New

Post by fruitlobber » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:51 am

Requests have already gone out you dweebs. But it's possible that they are rolling.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:19 pm

fruitlobber wrote:Requests have already gone out you dweebs. But it's possible that they are rolling.
Wait, really? You got an additional interview?

Also, was the "you dweebs" really necessary?

fruitlobber

New

Post by fruitlobber » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:20 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
fruitlobber wrote:Requests have already gone out you dweebs. But it's possible that they are rolling.
Wait, really? You got an additional interview?

Also, was the "you dweebs" really necessary?
The constant hand wringing is getting old. Don't know why there is so much in here and none in the BADCF.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:26 pm

fruitlobber wrote:Image
Classic Jeff Winger.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:07 pm

There is no way the lottery was run right... I got two of my top 5 choices.. yet my number 1 bid is listed in the pdf attached to the additional interviews email. How could they have not had a full schedule if they are my number one and I didn't get them? Very suspect.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is no way the lottery was run right... I got two of my top 5 choices.. yet my number 1 bid is listed in the pdf attached to the additional interviews email. How could they have not had a full schedule if they are my number one and I didn't get them? Very suspect.
Maybe your number 1 bid had only 1 or 2 spots left when you came up in the lottery and those spots conflicted with the interviews you received?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:15 pm

I think K&E probably told them they just wanted all pre-selects, and K&E didn't find 16 people worth interviewing so now they seeing if anyone who didn't bid on them for whatever reason is still available.

ls23

New

Post by ls23 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Some people may not have bid K&E because they are coming to OCI and would rather take their chances there. Also, people may have cancelled right after CCBA released and a few of those cancels could have been K&E. Second reason more likely to the be the reason imo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:37 pm

School: TT
Ties to Chicago?: School
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of Interviews (w/ bid numbers - closer to 1 is more likely lottery, closer to 25 is more likely pre-select): 4 (2, 5, 12, 19)

My grades are pretty pathetic so I'm surprised I got any interviews.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”