O-C-LIE: If aren't lying you don't want it hard enough Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

O-C-LIE: If aren't lying you don't want it hard enough

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:00 pm

ABC

A Always B Be C Calumniating

FSK

Platinum

Re: O-C-LIE: If aren't lying you don't want it hard enough

Post by FSK » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Sounds like you have strong family ties in all 50 states.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Which is the most convincing lie in response to "why law/litigation": (1) always wanted to be a lawyer, fascinated by legal problems, heroes all lawyers etc. or (2) researched career options throughout undergrad and decided law was best fit for strengths/interests, spent time working and speaking with lawyers to make sure or (3) these are both awful and I need to find a better excuse for choosing the de facto useless-lib-arts-degree career path.

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:11 pm

"Hobbies: Spelunking"

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:12 pm

ymmv wrote:Which is the most convincing lie in response to "why law/litigation": (1) always wanted to be a lawyer, fascinated by legal problems, heroes all lawyers etc. or (2) researched career options throughout undergrad and decided law was best fit for strengths/interests, spent time working and speaking with lawyers to make sure or (3) these are both awful and I need to find a better excuse for choosing the de facto useless-lib-arts-degree career path.
I usually say a variation of 1 + had X internship / opportunity that confirmed it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:24 pm

The imaginary girlfriend in medical school in LA got me quite a few callbacks there

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:29 pm

bulinus wrote:"Hobbies: Spelunking"
No no, YACHTING. Just know the verbiage and shit or you'll look like a fool when the partner asks you, "Awesome what's your favorite kind of boat?"

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Can I successfully say I'm lgb and t ? As in, all 4 ?

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:33 pm

toothbrush wrote:Can I successfully say I'm lgb and t ? As in, all 4 ?
It's LGBTQIA. /cis-outed

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:37 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
bulinus wrote:"Hobbies: Spelunking"
No no, YACHTING. Just know the verbiage and shit or you'll look like a fool when the partner asks you, "Awesome what's your favorite kind of boat?"
"It's not a boat, it's a yacht."
Exhibit A, see, you rising 2Ls? I would have just flunked an interview with Partner Brotherdarkness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:38 pm

jbiresq wrote:The imaginary girlfriend in medical school in LA got me quite a few callbacks there
Did you seriously do this? If so, do they grill you on this?

I was thinking about doing this but not as blatant. I have a relative in market X who I don't really talk to. Was thinking about using that and saying we're close.... but I'm not even sure if she still lives there.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbiresq wrote:The imaginary girlfriend in medical school in LA got me quite a few callbacks there

I was thinking about doing this but not as blatant. I have a relative in market X who I don't really talk to. Was thinking about using that and saying we're close.... but I'm not even sure if she still lives there.
My aunt lives there is really shitty. If you are a guy, don't say GF, say fiance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My aunt lives there is really shitty. If you are a guy, don't say GF, say fiance.
I know the chances of being caught for something like that are damn slim, but what happens if they Google you and find a cached Facebook profile or some shit that shows you're not in a relationship, or you are but they're attending college in NYC instead of LA?

I feel like lying to that degree could foreseeably get you into trouble. It borders on actual employment fraud because you're feeding them false information in order to convince them, in bad faith, that you're not a flight risk.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This seems like it could have serious post-hiring implications should you actually get the job. Pity straights don't have the option of just saying "partner" with all the implications of long-term commitment but without the impending marital status and conspicuous ring.

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know the chances of being caught for something like that are damn slim, but what happens if they Google you and find a cached Facebook profile or some shit that shows you're not in a relationship, or you are but they're attending college in NYC instead of LA?

I feel like lying to that degree could foreseeably get you into trouble. It borders on actual employment fraud because you're feeding them false information in order to convince them, in bad faith, that you're not a flight risk.
Nah, bro. Being in a long distance with a resident working 85 hours a week is incredibly straining on a relationship. Could collapse at any moment. This plan is bulletproof.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:48 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They'd rightfully fire you. Don't get caught.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:50 pm

ymmv wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This seems like it could have serious post-hiring implications should you actually get the job. Pity straights don't have the option of just saying "partner" with all the implications of long-term commitment but without the impending marital status and conspicuous ring.
"it didn't work out."

Nobody is going to ask a bunch of follow up questions.

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What were they going to ask? How's your sex life? When are you getting married? Most just said "oh your resume is really X city focused but now it makes sense you'd want to go to LA." That was the end of it.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:04 pm

ITT lawyers tell you "don't get caught"

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:07 pm

jbiresq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What were they going to ask? How's your sex life? When are you getting married? Most just said "oh your resume is really X city focused but now it makes sense you'd want to go to LA." That was the end of it.
And yet if you get the one personable interviewer who asks even one or two followup questions to that effect you might be fucked. Unless you go through all the work of creating an elaborate backstory to it all, which is not something I'd personally want to try to maintain over something as stressful as back-to-back interviews for two weeks.

IME it's much easier to exaggerate and distort truth than to invent lies from scratch. Especially in a high-pressure context.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:11 pm

jbiresq wrote: What were they going to ask? How's your sex life? When are you getting married? Most just said "oh your resume is really X city focused but now it makes sense you'd want to go to LA." That was the end of it.
If it's V20, the hiring partner will ask to smell your finger at the CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:07 pm

This is true. i honestly don't think I got into undergrad or law school without lying/stretching the truth about something. it's almost a necessity if you're really just a normal person (ie the legal stereotype - white, middle class, male). nothing serious that i couldn't sleep at night though.

my entire undergrad personal statement was an anecdote about myself with an underlying event entirely made up, but that no one could possibly check. im sure the schools probably thought it wasn't entirely believable but didn't care honestly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The imaginary girlfriend in medical school in LA got me quite a few callbacks there

They'd rightfully fire you. Don't get caught.
if female, alternative is to find a casual bf in city where you want to work and get them to back you up. make sure the guy has at least some job inmobility

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
if female, alternative is to find a casual bf in city where you want to work and get them to back you up. make sure the guy has at least some job inmobility
No, female moving for fiance = gonna make babies

Male moving for fiance = clean cut family man

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”