How hard is it to lateral from V10 NYC to another Market? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How hard is it to lateral from V10 NYC to another Market?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm a 1L at a YHS school currently summering at a firm in Texas. My ultimate goal is to end up in Texas biglaw, but for personal reasons I would like to work in NYC for 2-4 years first (spouse going to grad school there). Obviously getting a top firm job is far from guaranteed but based on my grades and work experience I think I have a good chance of landing something next summer.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to lateral (as a 2-4 year) from a firm like S&C, DPW, STB etc. to a big Texas firm like V&E or a satellite office like Gibson Dunn or Latham. Would this have any impact on partnership, exit opps etc? Do I have to take the Texas bar? I have pretty strong ties to NYC and very strong ties to each major market in Texas. I'm primarily interested in M&A if that makes any difference and have previous work experience in oil and gas.

mvp99

Silver

Re: How hard is it to lateral from V10 NYC to another Market?

Post by mvp99 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:33 pm

can you be honest about your career goals and get a job with a firm in NYC that has the hq office in texas? have no idea if this is a good idea.. someone knows?

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can you be honest about your career goals and get a job with a firm in NYC that has the hq office in texas? have no idea if this is a good idea.. someone knows?
It is a terrible idea.

OP, if your NYC firm has a TX office, you can ask for a transfer. You will want to work in a department that has a significant TX presence also. But, if you haven't been impressing people, asking for a transfer will be an easy way for them to up or out you (by denying the request and "forcing" you to leave).

With HYS, a good NYC firm, and a practice area that is common enough inTX, lateraling in is a realistic goal. It might take awhile, depending on general market conditions, but you should be able to make the move. Just avoid going for a NYC-centric practice.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:28 am

TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:can you be honest about your career goals and get a job with a firm in NYC that has the hq office in texas? have no idea if this is a good idea.. someone knows?
It is a terrible idea.

OP, if your NYC firm has a TX office, you can ask for a transfer. You will want to work in a department that has a significant TX presence also. But, if you haven't been impressing people, asking for a transfer will be an easy way for them to up or out you (by denying the request and "forcing" you to leave).

With HYS, a good NYC firm, and a practice area that is common enough inTX, lateraling in is a realistic goal. It might take awhile, depending on general market conditions, but you should be able to make the move. Just avoid going for a NYC-centric practice.
This seems like the right advice. You're better off going to STB/Latham/Skadden/Gibson to start with and lateraling into their Houston office. Houston's been busy enough that it shouldn't really be an issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:43 am

If you will be trying to switch firms, doable, but won't be as easy as landing a SA position through OCI. You probably won't have the power to be as selective you were during the SA process when it comes to the firm you end up at.

Speaking based on first-hand knowledge of lateral process in Texas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you will be trying to switch firms, doable, but won't be as easy as landing a SA position through OCI. You probably won't have the power to be as selective you were during the SA process when it comes to the firm you end up at.

In a similar situation as the OP, but not a 1L. Going to a V10, but not one with a Texas office.

Any other help? What practice areas should I avoid? Should I take the Texas bar before I try to lateral? Just send out applications? How soon is too soon to try and move? Would rather go to a firm than try and find somewhere in-house because I would like to move sooner than OP, like 1-2 years in versus 3-4.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:53 pm

This is very doable, and looking at bios you'll see that it's quite common (at least in corporate). No idea how litigation works, but for corporate, just pick a practice area that will transfer well: M&A, Private Equity, and to a lesser extent Capital Markets/Banking. Avoid pure-finance (derivatives, investment management/funds, financial institution regulatory work). Do it at a firm with a good reputation for that practice area and never look back.

Source: NYC corporate attorney who regularly gets headhunter calls/emails for positions in TX

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:33 pm

At a different firm in TX, but I know several people who've lateraled over from NYC shops at Latham. Most had some explainable ties to Houston or interest in energy work. Not impossible, but also plenty of competition for spots. LW is heavy on cap markets so if you have good experience in that space, that's a big plus. K&E just moved in to Houston and their focus in PE.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you will be trying to switch firms, doable, but won't be as easy as landing a SA position through OCI. You probably won't have the power to be as selective you were during the SA process when it comes to the firm you end up at.

In a similar situation as the OP, but not a 1L. Going to a V10, but not one with a Texas office.

Any other help? What practice areas should I avoid? Should I take the Texas bar before I try to lateral? Just send out applications? How soon is too soon to try and move? Would rather go to a firm than try and find somewhere in-house because I would like to move sooner than OP, like 1-2 years in versus 3-4.
Objective credentials aren't the issue. Lateral recruiting is different from OCI recruiting. Don't make the mistake of thinking that NYC V10 HYS with Texas ties is an automatic hire and/or gets his/her choice of firms.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:03 am

This is an important point and one I often forget isn't always intuitive to law students -- especially ones that haven't had extensive work experience prior to law school and have stellar academic credentials.

OCI is not the real world. You aren't ever going to have an array of choices like this again. Once you get the first job, you get dumped into being a small fish in a big pond. Post-first job, employers are usually looking at a range of experience levels, so the playing field won't be even for you. Sometimes you hit the job market at just the right time. Sometimes you don't. Depending on how quickly you have to make a move, you may find that you have to make significant compromises. If you know you have to move, start looking early. Get a sense of the market, start talking to people. If the right job comes along, go for it, even if the timing isn't ideal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”