how many phone calls is too many phone calls Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how many phone calls is too many phone calls

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:42 am

Hi,

I have an interview with a recently confirmed fed judge at the end of the week. I did not have any phone calls go into his chambers, prior to getting the interview. I know, from this forum, that phone calls go a long way. I also know from this forum that at the time that you get an interview, the common philosophy is that it's more about being a great worker/person to be around (as opposed to somebody needing to affirm that you're wicked smaht).

For that reason, I asked the prof who has really liked me since the beginning of my time in LS (call her #1), with whom I am the closest, and who wrote a very effusive and wonderful LOR for me to make a call. She of course agreed.

I then happened to email a professor (#2) to tell him about the interview (cause article III interviews, at least to me and at my t30 are big deals, I think). #2 has also written me a LOR and knows me fairly well and has called places on my behalf in the past, but it's not like I am his absolute favorite or anything. Turns out, little did I know, that #2 is friends with the new judge and #2 immediately offered to make a call for me. of course I am inclined to accept.

Separately, another professor (#3) has made a call for me in the past, and wrote in his LOR that I wrote the best paper he's read in 20 years of teaching. I am sure he would call if I asked him to.

Lastly, another professor (#4) who is in charge of the clerkship committee and regularly calls judges for students (though I do not think he has a relationship with this one) has offered to make calls for me in the past. I do not know him as well. Took his class recently, participated a lot, got an A-.

So how should I play this?

1. Have #2 call and call #1 off, for fear of bothering the guy.

2. Have #1 and #2 call, don't ask anybody else.

3. 1, 2, 3

4. 1, 2, 3, 4

I guess I just don't know what's standard, what's expected, and what's over the top (though I am thinking 4 is probably over the top). Keep in mind that this guy is new, so there's a decent chance that no profs have ever called him on students' behalves before. who knows.

Jchance

Silver

Re: how many phone calls is too many phone calls

Post by Jchance » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:33 am

Here's my 2 cents:

#2 seems like an effective call, that'll be beneficial.
#1 already offered to call, let #1 call.
Anything more than that is overkilling it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:38 am

Jchance wrote:Here's my 2 cents:

#2 seems like an effective call, that'll be beneficial.
#1 already offered to call, let #1 call.
Anything more than that is overkilling it.
that seems like good advice, and is what I am leaning towards.

so you're saying that 2 calls probably is not overkill?

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:58 pm

I think 1 call is common
2 calls is acceptable (though it could swing both ways, but given your situation with #1 is already set to call, let #1 call)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”