NYC Apartment Hunt Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

NYC Apartment Hunt

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:45 am

I'm starting an associate position in NYC in October, and I'm wondering if anyone has an insight into the NYC rental market on a firm lawyers salary.

Specifically, I started talking to a broker who showed me around the city to get a lay of the land. But I'm wondering: is it really even worth working with a broker? I will have a month off in NYC before moving in, and could feasibly look around for no fee apartments on my own. But I'm just wondering whether it is worth the 1 month's rent she's charging for the services a broker provides.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: NYC Apartment Hunt

Post by Nebby » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:08 am

IMO the broker is not worth it. There's a lot of sites (craigslist, Zillow, etc.) that you can find stuff on. Set your min rent/month to like $1600 and max at $2300 and see what you get.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:51 am

What does your firm offer in terms of resources/funds?

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:54 am

On a somewhat related note, if your firm never mentioned anything about paying for moving expenses (such as broker fees), then can you assume they're not paying for it?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:02 am

Even if you find a place on craigslist, if it's listed with a broker, and most are, you'll have to pay a fee. It's an unconscionable racket.

Since you have time, I'd try to find a no fee place, but ultimately plan on paying a broker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:44 am

glitched wrote:On a somewhat related note, if your firm never mentioned anything about paying for moving expenses (such as broker fees), then can you assume they're not paying for it?
Not necessarily. Just email someone in recruiting or professional development and ask.

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:52 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
glitched wrote:On a somewhat related note, if your firm never mentioned anything about paying for moving expenses (such as broker fees), then can you assume they're not paying for it?
Not necessarily. Just email someone in recruiting or professional development and ask.
My firm does $3,500 "for the cost of moving your things to NYC." Some firms do brokers fees, but if they don't specifically say so I'd doubt it.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Brokers are wholly useless, but unfortunately they are often a package deal with many desirable apartments. Agree that Craiglist, etc. is the best place to start, look for "no-fee" apartments.

BPLawl

New

Post by BPLawl » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:27 pm

Rising 2L but lifelong, 5th generation NYer.

Is your firm midtown or downtown?
Midtown
Easiest but most expensive-->Manhattan at least for a year or two.
N.B: If you wish to save money check out Washington Heights and see if you'd be comfortable with it.
Saving money but lose sweet convenience *--> However, if you are comfortable with around a twenty minute subway ride Astoria/Steinway is a good hit in Queens -- not too far, a real mixed-income, safe area with fairly cheap rents, still urbanized enough to have a decent social scene (kind of Manhattan Jr.). It's not impossible to find an apartment to split for under $750/month. Slightly further neighborhoods (Woodside, Sunnyside) and maybe even way further (Flushing, Bayside, etc.) offer similar immunities. My friend's brother has a basement apartment in Kew Gardens or Jackson Heights (I think) and takes the F into work and saves his money. This is an underrated option, especially if your OK
*Disclaimer: I acknowledge that convenience is more important for most people working 60+ hour weeks

Downtown
Easiest but most expensive --> Manhattan.
Saving money but losing sweet convenience --> Brooklyn. Some neighborhoods in Brooklyn are fairly convenient and nice but cost almost as much as Manhattan itself (Heights, Cobble, and Carroll). Some neighborhoods are OK but are basically surrounded by high-crime neighborhoods (looking at you Williamsburg), and are basically safe but a few blocks can make a huge difference in how the area feels. Some places are solid. Especially if you want to live in Brooklyn I really recommend driving through the neighborhood during the day and at night. Also, test out the commute, at least on google maps, from your apartment to the office.

I know nothing about Jersey, but that's a fairly common thing I hear when I talk to big law bros. Apparently, rents across the river really aren't bad relatively.

I wouldn't recommend Westchester as a first year because outside of New Ro and White Plains the apartment selection is thin (if memory serves). Based on belief and information, for a midtown Long Island MIGHT be alright if you're a) OK with the middle of nowhere, b) have a cheap (read: $600) apartment near an LIRR station from which trains reach Manhattan in under 60 minutes.

Open to correction by those working law jerbs in Manhattan.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Someone told me that a lot of the posting on Craigslist are fake. Maybe that is more so the broker ones than the ones by owners. Supposedly the brokers are just trying to lure you in. If you are there for a while you can probably just walk around and see if there are any for rent signs. Also ask doormen if they know of any openings. For bigger apartment buildings, it seems common that they have a leasing office that you deal with directly and you do not have to go through a broker.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”