Can I put this on my resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can I put this on my resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:42 pm

I accepted a judicial externship with a big judge in a major district court. I don't start until early September, but can I put this on my resume now and indicate the future start date? It would just go under my school activities, not in my "employment" section. I only ask because my grades are aggressively meh.

ymmv

Diamond

Re: Can I put this on my resume?

Post by ymmv » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a judicial externship with a big judge in a major district court. I don't start until early September, but can I put this on my resume now and indicate the future start date? It would just go under my school activities, not in my "employment" section. I only ask because my grades are aggressively meh.
There's no reason you can't put it under Employment and indicate the future start date. It's not like judicial externship offers get rescinded barring the judge's untimely death or something.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:58 pm

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:01 pm

sublime wrote:Semi related - Clinic acceptance in Spring of 2015? Can it go on?
Are we talking something notable like a Supreme Court clinic?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:31 pm

sublime wrote:
ymmv wrote:
sublime wrote:Semi related - Clinic acceptance in Spring of 2015? Can it go on?
Are we talking something notable like a Supreme Court clinic?

Federal Appellate Court (a circuit court) so, maybe?
Probably can't hurt to put it under Activities.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:19 pm

I put clinic stuff under legal experience (because we were student attorneys in my clinic) (since most of my stuff was volunteer, I called it legal experience rather than employment). For some reason the clinic for spring 2015 seems a little too far out in a way that this fall doesn't, but I can't articulate why (maybe because it's a course and it's easy to change/drop courses until you're actually registered). Also, when you say "accepted," what kind of process does that entail? If it's competitive, it's probably worth including with a brief note about the process.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I put clinic stuff under legal experience (because we were student attorneys in my clinic) (since most of my stuff was volunteer, I called it legal experience rather than employment). For some reason the clinic for spring 2015 seems a little too far out in a way that this fall doesn't, but I can't articulate why (maybe because it's a course and it's easy to change/drop courses until you're actually registered). Also, when you say "accepted," what kind of process does that entail? If it's competitive, it's probably worth including with a brief note about the process.
I second this sentiment. Students may list upcoming employment for the next semester, but listing employment two semesters seems too attenuated - things can change in that time. This isn't by any means a rule, just a feeling - if I saw someone listing a job they planned to start a year from now, I'd think it odd.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:13 pm

"Legal Experience:

President of the United States of America (expected) 2033"

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:24 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:"Legal Experience:

President of the United States of America (expected) 2033"
So TTT. True gunners know President of the People's Republic of China 2033 is TCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”