Columbia EIP 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, pretty much struck out at EIP. 4 CBs + 4 Rejections. I understand the consensus on this site is to mass mail, but I feel like I need some time to reflect and figure out a more targeted approach. I have ties to a secondary market too which is keeping me from panicking.

Is now the time to talk to career services? What if I didn't like the first advisor i was assigned?

Secondly, for you gunners out there-- If I'm interested in clerking, are there any prestigious non-Biglaw summer options to consider?
You should talk to OCS right away, and you should talk to whichever advisors available.

I understand that you want to take the time to formulate a battle plan, but if you want a firm job at all the time to mass mail was much earlier than now. Start now while firms are still interested in hiring.

I don't know what you mean by "more targeted approach." This isn't your time to be picky and figure out which firms are perfect for you. Your applications still won't change minus perhaps a cover letter (if one's required). Send out applications ASAP and worry about narrowing your options down once you have options.

Lastly, if you're interested in clerking, it's going to come down to your grades and your recommenders (and how willing they are to fight on your behalf), and that process is going to seem even more arbitrary than firm hiring. Finding the more prestigious non-firm jobs is also going to be just as hard or harder than getting a firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm on the verge of striking out (6 cbs, 4 dings, and two firms that are slower at getting back) and I found Steve Buchman to be good at getting a plan together post-EIP.

I am doing a more targeted mailing (not the hundreds of apps some people send out) and have gotten one screener so far in a secondary market.

But you have to act NOW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:31 pm

any clifford chance cb rejections? or mayer brown offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:45 pm

6 cbs, two dings, and an astonishing FOUR where there is no final decision. I know that my app is still alive at all four. I've done some substantial mass mailing already, but I'm seriously worried because I feel like everyone else has an offer. OCS told me to look at midlaw and do Fall OCI. Any better advice? Just keep mailing and hope for the best?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:6 cbs, two dings, and an astonishing FOUR where there is no final decision. I know that my app is still alive at all four. I've done some substantial mass mailing already, but I'm seriously worried because I feel like everyone else has an offer. OCS told me to look at midlaw and do Fall OCI. Any better advice? Just keep mailing and hope for the best?
just from this thread alone I think you can see that not everyone has offers. regardless, yes, I think you have to keep mailing. if you haven't heard from one of the firms post-CB for several weeks it may be worth following up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:6 cbs, two dings, and an astonishing FOUR where there is no final decision. I know that my app is still alive at all four. I've done some substantial mass mailing already, but I'm seriously worried because I feel like everyone else has an offer. OCS told me to look at midlaw and do Fall OCI. Any better advice? Just keep mailing and hope for the best?
Also follow up with firms post-cb and reiterate your interest

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Email?
Sure. Don't pepper the four firms with phone calls and emails throughout the day, but a simple email to each stating that you are still very interested in the firm can help (it did for me) and if you have already been waiting 10+ days it can't hurt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Email?
Sure. Don't pepper the four firms with phone calls and emails throughout the day, but a simple email to each stating that you are still very interested in the firm can help (it did for me) and if you have already been waiting 10+ days it can't hurt.
And this should be sent to the recruiter only?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Ok I'm starting to receive dings from my mass mail, yet it is still radio silence from Mayer Brown cb.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok I'm starting to receive dings from my mass mail, yet it is still radio silence from Mayer Brown cb.
When was your CB? Are you the same person who's been asking about Mayer Brown over the last several pages?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ok I'm starting to receive dings from my mass mail, yet it is still radio silence from Mayer Brown cb.
When was your CB? Are you the same person who's been asking about Mayer Brown over the last several pages?
Nah not the same. But I think we had cbs in the same week of 8/18

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:59 pm

^^ Same situation/timing with Orrick...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alicen

Bronze

Post by alicen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:18 am

Is anyone considering/set on going to O'Melveny SV? If so, please pm me!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:19 pm

Anyone going to the PH reception tonight? We can take cabs right?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks!
Last edited by jbagelboy on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:30 am

jbagelboy wrote:Anyone have a PDF copy of the EIP Honors report? It's been taken off simplicity and OCS won't provide. Please PM me if you have it - thank you!
I'll email you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:10 pm

any Mayer Brown movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any Mayer Brown movement?
Ding went out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any Mayer Brown movement?
Ding went out.
CB Ding? and if so, was your cb during the week of 8/18?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:25 pm

shall we list individual results for posterity as the other oci threads have done? or are people still interviewing and pounding pavement?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:shall we list individual results for posterity as the other oci threads have done? or are people still interviewing and pounding pavement?
Start us off!

sideroxylon

Gold

Post by sideroxylon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:shall we list individual results for posterity as the other oci threads have done? or are people still interviewing and pounding pavement?
I don't remember people doing this.
godspeed wrote:No one cares.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:37 pm

I never understood the point. Those posts teach you that you're more likely to strike out if you a) Have low grades, b) Bid non-NYC heavily, c) Are severely aspie. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff.

General overview, although it may be a bit early to tell: We did very well. Wouldn't surprise me if the offer percentage was over 90% of participants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:17 am

Does anyone have a list of firms that interviewed 3Ls at EIP?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”