What GPA for DC from CCN? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What GPA for DC from CCN?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:03 am

I'm still waiting on one grade, but if I get a B in that last class I have a 3.54 (with potential to be slightly higher, but sticking to a conservative estimate, I'll have a 3.54 or 3.58 with a B+). Looking at another thread here, that looks to be around top quarter with a little room to move up if Crim goeswell. I want to practice regulatory work, so DC's my top choice.

I realize it's a very grade-conscious market, and firms like Wilmer and especially Covington may be beyond me without a 3.6+.

What about the other firms, though? I'm curious how low WilmerHale will dip, but also Skadden, Arnold Porter, Cleary, and Hogan. Are these firms in the same highly-selective category that Covington/Wilmer are?

Edit: My 1L summer job's located in DC and focuses on a regulatory practice not centered anywhere else but DC, and I interned there for a semester in undergrad. I have no other ties.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: What GPA for DC from CCN?

Post by Nebby » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:12 am

Your best bet is Skadden, Cleary, and Hogan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:14 am

CounselorNebby wrote:Your best bet is Skadden, Cleary, and Hogan.
Thank you so much. Will Skadden and Cleary DC typically dip to a 3.54 (assuming the worst-case grading scenario), or are both still very much a "reach," though possible?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:Your best bet is Skadden, Cleary, and Hogan.
Thank you so much. Will Skadden and Cleary DC typically dip to a 3.54 (assuming the worst-case grading scenario), or are both still very much a "reach," though possible?
Based on data I have they will dip that low, but consider them reaches (attainable reaches).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Not OP, but what are some of the other DC firms that have larger SA classes and therefore might be easier to break into from CCN? With a GPA >3.7, what would you be aiming for?

Also, any thoughts on the right proportion to split bids between NYC and DC? I'm thinking right now do 2/3rd NYC and 1/3rd DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but what are some of the other DC firms that have larger SA classes and therefore might be easier to break into from CCN? With a GPA >3.7, what would you be aiming for?

Also, any thoughts on the right proportion to split bids between NYC and DC? I'm thinking right now do 2/3rd NYC and 1/3rd DC.
The real problem with DC is that there isn't really an unselective large class. The less selective firms (which are still pretty selective) have small classes and don't just take any fool with a decent GPA.

3.7 has got to be like top15% right? I'd probably do 2/3 DC and 1/3 large, unselective NYC firms and any firm that just takes anyone with your GPA. I don't know NYC market pretty well, but it seems like firms like Paul Weiss will take anyone with a good GPA. That may not be accurate but there are some firms like that. Use that as your "backup" and then throw the rest to DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:46 pm

I had a terrible 1L GPA: 3.02. With some luck I joined a BigLaw DC office. You definitely will find a nicer firm than mine. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”