Northwestern OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
homestyle28

Gold

Re: Northwestern OCI

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Big Dog wrote:
My mom drove me to a few cb's. But I billed based on what the cab ride would have cost. It's only fair because my mom can be expected to work for free.
Unless the cab fare was less than the mileage costs @ $0.56/mi, not only was your expense claim not "fair", it was expense account fraud, plain and simple. Not a recommended way to start your legal career. I assume that you have not taken ethics yet? If you happen to be in that class now, be sure to raise this idea and wait for the response.
Honestly, what in the fuck is wrong with you?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:42 pm

Big Dog wrote:
My mom drove me to a few cb's. But I billed based on what the cab ride would have cost. It's only fair because my mom can be expected to work for free.
Unless the cab fare was less than the mileage costs @ $0.56/mi, not only was your expense claim not "fair", it was expense account fraud, plain and simple. Not a recommended way to start your legal career. I assume that you have not taken ethics yet? If you happen to be in that class now, be sure to raise this idea and wait for the response.
Amazing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zugzwanger wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out of curiosity, have you guys been sending nalp reimbursements to Chicago firms? Basically, just asking to be reimubursed for cab fare to and from the interview? I mean, I guess it doesn't really matter unless you're planning to work for that firm.
Definitely get reimbursed for cabs. It's normal NALP stuff and HR will take care of it without blinking.
That's a little extreme. In the entire process, they probably blinked at least once IMHO
My mom drove me to a few cb's. But I billed based on what the cab ride would have cost. It's only fair because my mom can be expected to work for free. I got the offer anyway.
Wrong quote, supposed to be the Perkins coie 7.5 week callback.

Hoping for this from Kirkland SF, now. Thanks.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:20 pm

My mom drove me to a few cb's. But I billed based on what the cab ride would have cost. It's only fair because my mom can be expected to work for free. I got the offer anyway.
I CERTIFY THAT ALL OF THE ABOVE EXPENSES WERE RELATED TO MY INTERVIEWING TRIP.
Does anyone seriously believe that NALP (and law firms) considers 'mom time' as a reimbursable expense. If so, why hide behind Anon?

http://www.nalp.org/uploads/2014TravelExpenseForm.pdf

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Big Dog wrote:
I CERTIFY THAT ALL OF THE ABOVE EXPENSES WERE RELATED TO MY INTERVIEWING TRIP.
Does anyone seriously believe that NALP (and law firms) considers 'mom time' as a reimbursable expense. If so, why hide behind Anon?

http://www.nalp.org/uploads/2014TravelExpenseForm.pdf
homestyle28 wrote:Honestly, what in the fuck is wrong with you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:59 pm

Seriously, Big Dog, ya gotta go out and buy a sense of humor. You are so fucking wound-up. It was a simple joke, get over yourself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:32 pm

I really wish I knew what I was doing wrong... just can't seem to manage to get anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I really wish I knew what I was doing wrong... just can't seem to manage to get anything.
Don't know about your specifics, but it helps (psychologically as well) to have a plan. If your GPA/resume wasn't horrendous, you probably lacked that. A good starting point to is mailmail, and in order to do that effectively, you've got ot pick target market(s). At this point, aim for small/medium firms, prioritize them according to their major practice areas that coincide with you career goal (transactional/Lit, family, negligence, insurance, health, securities, etc.)

Spread your net wide and iknow that you can't afford to be choosing at this point. I never found netowrking a help, except for more advice like what I'm writing here.

Finally, pace yourself for a long haul, you'd be surprised how many people get gigs as late as March.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Has anyone gotten an offer from Kaye Scholer or atleast heard post-callback from them?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten an offer from Kaye Scholer or atleast heard post-callback from them?
I along with a friend of mine got dinged within a week of our callbacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:29 pm

I got an email two weeks ago saying I was still under consideration and that they would be getting back to me very shortly. I haven't heard yet still. Is that typical?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an email two weeks ago saying I was still under consideration and that they would be getting back to me very shortly. I haven't heard yet still. Is that typical?
Is this your only prospect? If so, I would call the recruiting office, try to talk to one of the office staff to see whether showing your continuing interest is okay. Hope you took the opportunity to develop a contact there during your CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:21 pm

Finally a break in the clouds, struck out at OCI but received an offer from mass mail today. GL to everyone who's still waiting.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finally a break in the clouds, struck out at OCI but received an offer from mass mail today. GL to everyone who's still waiting.
CONGRATS !!For the rest of you, this is the best reason to keep going. OCI isn't everything, it's only the beginning.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finally a break in the clouds, struck out at OCI but received an offer from mass mail today. GL to everyone who's still waiting.
Congrats! If you're not getting trashed at bar review tonight, and I mean punch-a-police-horse trashed, you're not doing it right. You earned that shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:44 pm

congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
congrats!
+1
Well done sir.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:35 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
Congrats! If you're not getting trashed at bar review tonight, and I mean punch-a-police-horse trashed, you're not doing it right. You earned that shit.
On a related note, I will be an accomplice in yr death. Say haaay

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
CONGRATS !!For the rest of you, this is the best reason to keep going. OCI isn't everything, it's only the beginning.
On this note - I know a number of people last year who got things (lots of them really good things) from mass mailing after oci. keep at it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:03 pm

If you don't mind my asking, what market was the offer from?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:19 pm

25 screeners
Over 200 e-mails
0 offers
Starting to lose faith

Other than continuing to e-mail every office for every large firm in the country, is there anything I can do?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:25 screeners
Over 200 e-mails
0 offers
Starting to lose faith

Other than continuing to e-mail every office for every large firm in the country, is there anything I can do?
GPA? Any other problems you think might affect your OCI? Feel free to PM if you do not want to share with everyone. I already graduated and do not know any 2Ls.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:27 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:32 am

Dejected OP here,

My GPA is 3.6, I have a MA in something related, and I am working on an article with a professor. I am certainly not opposed to mid law, at this point.

What are the kinds of firms I should be applying to? I have been working through the NLJ250, but I didn't think I should be applying to all those firms on that 5+ list, just yet. I haven't noticed any of these e-mails, please go on…

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Dejected OP here,

My GPA is 3.6, I have a MA in something related, and I am working on an article with a professor. I am certainly not opposed to mid law, at this point.

What are the kinds of firms I should be applying to? I have been working through the NLJ250, but I didn't think I should be applying to all those firms on that 5+ list, just yet. I haven't noticed any of these e-mails, please go on…
Have you been checking Symplicity? Some firms that came to OCI and did not get a good yield are re-posting openings on there. What's the protocol on re-applying if they dinged you? Serious question. Honestly, it might be an option since they clearly did not fill up from their first go around (ask career services?). Also, any firm on Symplicity you have not already applied to definitely do so ASAP.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”