WUSTL OCI/EIW 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How do you feel about your LRM grade?

I barely passed and am thrilled since I didn't deserve to
33%
I failed and don't care
3%
Fuck you I CALI'd it
27%
I did really well and I'm ashamed about it
10%
I still don't know what the "M" stands for
27%

Total votes: 30

DoveBodyWash

Gold

WUSTL OCI/EIW 2014

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Remember, we are 100% pre-select

There is only one bidding strategy: Bid all the firms

I know it's a little early to make the thread since screeners aren't announced for a few weeks, but thought we could commiserate and answer each other's questions here.
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

hoos89

Gold

Re: WUSTL OCI/EIW 2014

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Still bid even if you're below the posted cutoff. Because why not: there isn't a meaningful bid limit.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:14 pm

hoos89 wrote:Still bid even if you're below the posted cutoff. Because why not: there isn't a meaningful bid limit.
true true, will amend OP

shockingly_cavalier

New

Post by shockingly_cavalier » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:31 pm

I would love to answer this poll if I had my LRM grade.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:34 pm

shockingly_cavalier wrote:I would love to answer this poll if I had my LRM grade.
yeah i don't have mine either. Praise be to the lawd that our LRM exams are being graded so rigorously. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Michael Bluth

Bronze

Post by Michael Bluth » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:07 pm

In the WUSTL OCI thread a few years ago, someone(s) went anonymous to complain about people with a lot of interviews. I personally know several people with 10+ interviews who eventually struck out at OCI. Don't be anon guy this year.

Getting a legal job is a long process, and EIW is only one possible route.

Good luck to all!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:24 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:In the WUSTL OCI thread a few years ago, someone(s) went anonymous to complain about people with a lot of interviews. I personally know several people with 10+ interviews who eventually struck out at OCI. Don't be anon guy this year.

Getting a legal job is a long process, and EIW is only one possible route.

Good luck to all!
This guy. He is wise.

Also, I think most people in here get this already, but slots aren't really zero-sum. Except possibly at the extreme margins. For the most part, if a firm has any interest in you, they'll make sure they're interviewing you. You, person barely inside the top 1/3, didn't narrowly lose out on a spot with Kirkland just because the a-hole at the top of the class bid on them even though he isn't really interested.

Good luck, err'body.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:I personally know several people with 10+ interviews who eventually struck out at OCI.
What. :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:46 pm

cusenation wrote:
Michael Bluth wrote:I personally know several people with 10+ interviews who eventually struck out at OCI.
I didn't get a CB from OCI with 17 interviews at EIW and about 5-8 more during Fall OCI. Got a few from massmailing/off campus. Moral of the story: don't be too good for Indy/Cleveland/etc. and mass-mail your ass off.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cusenation wrote:
I didn't get a CB from OCI with 17 interviews at EIW and about 5-8 more during Fall OCI. Got a few from massmailing/off campus. Moral of the story: don't be too good for Indy/Cleveland/etc. and mass-mail your ass off.
What's a Cleveland?

johnnyquest

Bronze

Post by johnnyquest » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:59 pm

bulinus wrote: What's a Cleveland?
I believe it's the black dude from "Family Guy"

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:01 pm

None of those smaller markets would consider us without ties anyway tho. It's not that we're too good, it's just fruitless. We can't even reliably place outsiders in our home market let alone markets like Cleveland

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:24 pm

This shouldn't even be a thread. Just bid every firm. Your bid number means very little.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:33 pm

goldeneye wrote:This shouldn't even be a thread. Just bid every firm. Your bid number means very little.
How will I panic without the daily CB updates!?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:04 am

goldeneye wrote:This shouldn't even be a thread. Just bid every firm. Your bid number means very little.

To clarify for anyone who didn't know: because all firms are preselect, the rank you put on a firm when you bid has close to 0 significance. Firms DO NOT see how you ranked them. The only conceivable way it can matter is if CSO is given authority to determine who gets to fill a last minute opening (not sure how often/ever this happens) in which case they may choose someone who ranked a firm highly.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:13 am

hoos89 wrote:

To clarify for anyone who didn't know: because all firms are preselect, the rank you put on a firm when you bid has close to 0 significance. Firms DO NOT see how you ranked them. The only conceivable way it can matter is if CSO is given authority to determine who gets to fill a last minute opening (not sure how often/ever this happens) in which case they may choose someone who ranked a firm highly.
Right. And résumé collect firms should receive low bidding numbers because it does not matter to get an interview.

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:10 pm

What's the scoop on the Off-Campus interview programs? It looks like some of them are laughably small (4-5 firms). Obviously NYC is a must-do for anyone who wants a biglaw job. If you don't have ties to an area does it make sense to go to the walk arounds (ie. Texas. Who actually is from Texas?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:17 pm

WheatThins wrote:What's the scoop on the Off-Campus interview programs? It looks like some of them are laughably small (4-5 firms). Obviously NYC is a must-do for anyone who wants a biglaw job. If you don't have ties to an area does it make sense to go to the walk arounds (ie. Texas. Who actually is from Texas?)
Our New England and Chicago days are pathetic. But if you're attending those days, you should definitely mass mail more firms in the city and let them know that you'll be in town at the date of our off-campus day. Could probably scoop up more interviews that way.

I think it might make sense to do the D.C. walk around since you could always say that you're attracted to DC because of the work that they do there (lots of lobby/regulatory stuff) even though you don't have ties. But it'll be harder to make an argument for a place like Atlanta...I think Texas could still be worth it if you get a screener and don't mind flying out there for it.

Probably best to do the "is it worth my time?" analysis after we bid on everything and get the screener invitations.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:40 pm

Before you bid on every program just because you can, I think you should consider, at a minimum, whether you would attend even if you got every single interview.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:44 pm

hoos89 wrote:Before you bid on every program just because you can, I think you should consider, at a minimum, whether you would attend even if you got every single interview.
I dunno about everyone else but i'm not planning on being too picky after looking at participants list and their cut-offs...Maybe if cost is a real issue, but i can't imagine there are many cases where "I'd rather risk striking out completely than work in X city or Y firm" is wise.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Here for the show

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:08 pm

cusenation wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Before you bid on every program just because you can, I think you should consider, at a minimum, whether you would attend even if you got every single interview.
I dunno about everyone else but i'm not planning on being too picky after looking at participants list and their cut-offs...Maybe if cost is a real issue, but i can't imagine there are many cases where "I'd rather risk striking out completely than work in X city or Y firm" is wise.
Yup. This is the perspective everyone should have. Thinking you wouldn't attend even if you got every interview is not advised whatsoever.

Ask friends, family, whatever to get to every interview you get. All you need is one.

Also, in your cover letters and emails to firms not participating, absolutely say you're in town and would appreciate the opportunity to interview. There's no cost to them so do it for sure.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:44 pm

If money is no issue to you, then sure, but I have trouble justifying a round trip plane ticket and hotel stay for two interviews. Also, be aware that at some of the programs you're might not have sufficient free time to interview with a firm that isn't attending unless you stay in the city for an extra business day.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:10 pm

hoos89 wrote:If money is no issue to you, then sure, but I have trouble justifying a round trip plane ticket and hotel stay for two interviews. Also, be aware that at some of the programs you're might not have sufficient free time to interview with a firm that isn't attending unless you stay in the city for an extra business day.
That's why I said ask friends and family and whomever. 2 interviews is important enough that you should do whatever you can to get there.

Every interview is worth it. Selectively choosing is how you can end up not getting anything and then regretting you didn't interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:32 pm

No WUSTL but part of the Midwest-Cali consortium. My CSO couldn't give me any advice on the Bay Area walk around, do any of y'all have any info?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”