What matters the most for a ip lawyer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jrwhitedog

New

What matters the most for a ip lawyer?

Post by jrwhitedog » Sat May 31, 2014 6:36 pm

Which of the followings matters the most for a IP lawyer, pre-law working experience, IT certifications,the major of your bachelor degree or the patent bar? Thanks.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Re: What matters the most for a ip lawyer?

Post by eriedoctrine » Sat May 31, 2014 6:42 pm

patent bar, major of your bachelor degree, pre-law working experience, IT certifications

jrwhitedog

New

Post by jrwhitedog » Sat May 31, 2014 7:37 pm

eriedoctrine wrote:patent bar, major of your bachelor degree, pre-law working experience, IT certifications
I assume the sequence is from the most to the least?

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Sat May 31, 2014 8:49 pm

major of your bachelor degree > patent bar > pre-law working experience, IT certifications

jrwhitedog

New

Post by jrwhitedog » Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Jchance wrote:major of your bachelor degree > patent bar > pre-law working experience, IT certifications
Thank you, does master degree help?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Sat May 31, 2014 9:29 pm

jrwhitedog wrote:
Jchance wrote:major of your bachelor degree > patent bar > pre-law working experience, IT certifications
Thank you, does master degree help?
In some areas, MS or even PhD are more or less required. Patent litigation is less sensitive on this than prosecution. Certain BS degrees like engineering or CS are just as valuable as certain MS or PhDs, like biology.

alkaseltzer

New

Post by alkaseltzer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:18 pm

PhD/MS EE/CS > BS EE/CS > PhD Bio/Chem ParmD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> patent bar ~ pre-law experience >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all other crap

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:47 pm

On a related note, how much do schools (within the T-14) matter for ip law? For instance, how much more likely is an ip lawyer to get a biglaw job out of say columbia versus georgetown.

user warned for posting in Legal Employment as a 0L

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:12 pm

This has me curious. I was asked by someone considering law school the usefulness of a Bio BA/BS for patent work. I heard on here it's not as helpful as EE. Any reason for this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:19 pm

6lehderjets wrote:This has me curious. I was asked by someone considering law school the usefulness of a Bio BA/BS for patent work. I heard on here it's not as helpful as EE. Any reason for this?
Supply and demand. Bio is a lot easier to do than EE, and EE majors get legit jobs out of school more often that makes it less likely that they will go to LS.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:21 pm

6lehderjets wrote:This has me curious. I was asked by someone considering law school the usefulness of a Bio BA/BS for patent work. I heard on here it's not as helpful as EE. Any reason for this?
From my experience (BS in Biology, passed patent bar before LS, have post-bar employment in M&A), the reasons seem to be twofold. First of all, in the industry, the scientists with whom biology type patent attorneys will work almost invariably have their own PhDs. Whether or not it is warranted, the culture in bio-fields calls for patent attorneys with equal eduction to the clients'. Despite the fact that someone with a BS or Masters in biology could probably understand the science sufficiently to do patent pros in biology, the scientist clients simply want those letter credentials after their attorneys names. The second reason is the overwhelming saturation of the market with biology PhDs. There are lots of Bio PhDs who go on to get legal degrees and so firms have access to those with the credentials their clients in bio-fields wish to work with.

If you only have a bio under-grad, I would suggest either focusing on patent prosecution, or looking into alternate legal specialties. I had an opportunity to prosecute after graduation with one firm, but chose M&A instead for many reasons, one of which was that the work on which I would have been staffed for patent work was not sufficiently interesting or challenging IMO (e.g. it was not bio-related but was more run of the mill, generic type prosecution). I am very happy with my decision to pursue M&A and my firm liked that I also have the USPTO credential, as IP rights and complexities often play in M&A work.

Maybe this was just my experience, but it seemed to me that going after prosecution with a BS in Biology was an up hill battle and probably not one you want to put yourself in a position to fight in the current market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:30 pm

This has me curious. I was asked by someone considering law school the usefulness of a Bio BA/BS for patent work. I heard on here it's not as helpful as EE. Any reason for this?
Second the supply demand argument. Do you know how many jobs are out there for EE/CS people in Silicon Valley? Do you know how much they pay? A LOT. Firms will do anything to get there hands on a solid EE/CS engineering type recruit that is willing to go to law school and become a patent lawyer. The curriculum/content for EE/CS is much much harder than Bio. Trust me, I had my experiences in both.

ITrollPatentTrolls

New

Post by ITrollPatentTrolls » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:01 pm

jrwhitedog wrote:Which of the followings matters the most for a IP lawyer, pre-law working experience, IT certifications,the major of your bachelor degree or the patent bar? Thanks.
To clarify, are you asking about patent prosecution, patent litigation, or soft IP (trademarks, copyright, trade secrets, etc). Needless to say, the answer depends upon whether you're asking about litigation or prosecution.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:30 pm

ITrollPatentTrolls wrote:
jrwhitedog wrote:Which of the followings matters the most for a IP lawyer, pre-law working experience, IT certifications,the major of your bachelor degree or the patent bar? Thanks.
To clarify, are you asking about patent prosecution, patent litigation, or soft IP (trademarks?, copyright, trade secrets, etc). Needless to say, the answer depends upon whether you're asking about litigation or prosecution.
Mind answering for both litigation and prosecution? Not sure what I want to go into yet.

user has been banned for posting in Legal Employment as a 0L

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:32 pm

Patent lit

Major > Experience >> patent bar > whether you like blue or green better > IT certs

Pros

Patent Bar ELIGIBILITY > Major > experience > patent bar >> whether you like blue or green better > IT certs

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Patent lit

Major > Experience >> patent bar > whether you like blue or green better > IT certs

Pros

Patent Bar ELIGIBILITY > Major > experience > patent bar >> whether you like blue or green better > IT certs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinctio ... _languages

jrwhitedog

New

Post by jrwhitedog » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:56 pm

To clarify, are you asking about patent prosecution, patent litigation, or soft IP (trademarks, copyright, trade secrets, etc). Needless to say, the answer depends upon whether you're asking about litigation or prosecution.
Which category has the most fun if there is any :D ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:11 pm

jrwhitedog wrote:
pros has more fun but lit gets all the ladies

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Pros

Agree with this. Note that, for patent lit, law school and law school grades are more important than everything the OP identified. That's less true for Pros.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:46 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Pros

Agree with this. Note that, for patent lit, law school and law school grades are more important than everything the OP identified. That's less true for Pros.
This. If your grades are high enough from a reputable school, you can have your BA in History and do patent lit. That said, your major is a big factor outside of having top grades...

PB eligibility has been overstated thus far for purposes of patent lit, licensing, or transactions, with the caveat of me being experienced solely in the CS/EE side of things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:08 pm

For an EE, it's really a semiconductor degree specialization or semiconductor industry experience that is valued the most. Most of the other fields tend to be easier to learn or are not as patent-heavy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:27 pm

For an EE, it's really a semiconductor degree specialization or semiconductor industry experience that is valued the most. Most of the other fields tend to be easier to learn or are not as patent-heavy.
I've been in patent law for almost 10 years now, and I see more and more algorithm type software patent battles. Think CS algorithms, like machine learning and telecommunications algorithms. These bring big bucks to the companies now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I've been in patent law for almost 10 years now, and I see more and more algorithm type software patent battles. Think CS algorithms, like machine learning and telecommunications algorithms. These bring big bucks to the companies now.
Agreed, but those are in the "easier to learn" camp. The work is much less technical and it's easier to get without any reference to technical expertise.

jrwhitedog

New

Post by jrwhitedog » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:04 pm

glitched wrote:
jrwhitedog wrote:
pros has more fun but lit gets all the ladies
:shock: Would you elaborate on the second part?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”