1L school year employment Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L school year employment

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 30, 2014 8:26 am

I'm an upcoming 1L and I heard from a few people (including someone who had been to law school) this week that there were restrictions on being employed while a 1L at an ABA law school. Am wondering if there are any such restrictions, and if so how that would affect the following:

1) I've been asked by my current firm to remain as a part-time/indepedent contractor subject matter expert (non-testifying) for various ongoing investigation/litigation work. Could I do that as either a W-2 or independent contractor (1099) employee?

2) I have my own corporation (files under S status) which due to IRS regulations requires me to pay myself a "fair salary" - is paying myself a violation of school/ABA restrictions against employment, if any exist?

When I first heard about those type of restrictions I didn't give it much thought, as it seemed ridiculous for a school to determine what I can or can't do with my free time, and I know there are part-time/night programs where people definitely work. I just wanted to check whether there were any restrictions I should know about and how that would affect my ability to engage in either of the above-mentioned activities.

DELG

Gold

Re: 1L school year employment

Post by DELG » Fri May 30, 2014 8:36 am

I have never heard of a school actually investigating the number of hours worked, probably because they know most 1Ls are smart enough not to overextend themselves. So, clearing it with your school is probably your last concern.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: 1L school year employment

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 30, 2014 11:15 am

Sorry, 0Ls are not allowed to post in the legal employment forum. I'm going to lock this rather than move it because the Ask a Law Student/Graduate forum does not have anonymous posting - feel free to repost.

Return to “Legal Employment”