Lounge Lawyers Rate your Summer Associate Screw Ups Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Lounge Lawyers Rate your Summer Associate Screw Ups

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:02 am

Typos in almost every assignment submitted. Generally really positive reviews, but multiple comments about typos from assigning attorneys and mentor.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Typos in almost every assignment submitted. Generally really positive reviews, but multiple comments about typos from assigning attorneys and mentor.
Why

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 am

Because I suck at proof reading.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Because I suck at proof reading.
Are you proofreading on the computer? Don't to that. Printing makes a huge difference.

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Typos in almost every assignment submitted. Generally really positive reviews, but multiple comments about typos from assigning attorneys and mentor.
This is not good. Read everything you turn in 5 times over. Typos at this level are inexcusable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:33 am

Why don't you use spell-check? Then you know you're not missing anything. If your typos are related to mistyping something, then copy and paste. This is easy stuff to fix.

This is not no-offer territory, especially in light of your other reviews. You should fix this pretty quickly (before you get back to the firm) because it's an easy fix. You don't want working with you to be tiresome to other attorneys who think they need to go over your work product with a fine-tooth comb every time they get something from you.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:15 am

Typos make you look like you don't care about your work product. They are serious and you should take this criticism seriously.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Can't you ask another summer to proof your work?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm

People in big law are huge hypocrites about typos. They expect you to be immaculate, but when they fuck it's NBD. But that is the deal.

You almost certainly have a proofreading service. Use it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Can't find work issued phone. Several hundred dollar penalty. Might be at home. But if not?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can't find work issued phone. Several hundred dollar penalty. Might be at home. But if not?
Offer. I doubt they'll even bill you for it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can't find work issued phone. Several hundred dollar penalty. Might be at home. But if not?
Agree with DF that you're fine. However, once you return home tonight and confirm that you lost it, I would tell the firm right away.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:27 pm

ditch digger wrote: In my opinion, I think that 4 hours is not nearly enough time to write a decent appellate brief. I'll leave that for you folks to decide.
Depends on the complexity of the issue, and whether there's another similar case in your firm's brief bank. And on whether you had access to the case file beforehand.

Without reading the casefile, 4 hours is irresponsible to the point of malpractice. But if you had access to the casefile and knew you would be writing something about that case, and you had a pre-written brief available on a similar topic, I could see 4 hours being a reasonable request (at least from the partner's perspective--which is all that matters).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 pm

5th-y associate calls you into the office to say that your outfits are generally fine for business formal, but sometimes a shade too casual. Insists that there have not been any complaints, just wanted to give you a heads up. Offer or no offer?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:5th-y associate calls you into the office to say that your outfits are generally fine for business formal, but sometimes a shade too casual. Insists that there have not been any complaints, just wanted to give you a heads up. Offer or no offer?
Offer. Also, if you're a female then the associate wants to sleep with you.

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:5th-y associate calls you into the office to say that your outfits are generally fine for business formal, but sometimes a shade too casual. Insists that there have not been any complaints, just wanted to give you a heads up. Offer or no offer?
Offer. Seems like a cool dude (or lady) just looking out for you.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 am

nsideirish wrote:
Offer, but someone suggested she make the call. It's a good sign because they probably found a tactful person to explain this to you. This is so easy to fix it shouldn't be an issue.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:46 am

NYSprague wrote:
nsideirish wrote:
Offer, but someone suggested she make the call. It's a good sign because they probably found a tactful person to explain this to you. This is so easy to fix it shouldn't be an issue.
(fucking self in ass w/ occam's razor)

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:58 am

El Pollito wrote:
NYSprague wrote:
nsideirish wrote:
(fucking self in ass w/ occam's razor)
Yeah, could be wrong. Just think the senior would have mentioned it earlier if it was solely her own thought. It's no big deal though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 am

Research assignment. Did not find anything very useful after 10 hours of digging. Associate does not respond to my emails regarding this assignment. No offer?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Research assignment. Did not find anything very useful after 10 hours of digging. Associate does not respond to my emails regarding this assignment. No offer?
Offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11 pm

Here's something a summer at my firm did.

Summer received a critical writing assignment that a first-year could have completed in ~5 hours, and missed the deadline . . . by four days. The summer was asked day after day to finish the assignment immediately, and every time the summer said "I'll have it done by COB." When it was finally done, the first-year had to spend several hours revising it anyway. Apparently the summer has had trouble hitting deadlines on other assignments since then as well. Otherwise, great personality, decent work product.

The practice group is trying to decide whether or not to extend an offer and is actively soliciting advice from associates who have worked with this summer. What would you guys say?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's something a summer at my firm did.

Summer received a critical writing assignment that a first-year could have completed in ~5 hours, and missed the deadline . . . by four days. The summer was asked day after day to finish the assignment immediately, and every time the summer said "I'll have it done by COB." When it was finally done, the first-year had to spend several hours revising it anyway. Apparently the summer has had trouble hitting deadlines on other assignments since then as well. Otherwise, great personality, decent work product.

The practice group is trying to decide whether or not to extend an offer and is actively soliciting advice from associates who have worked with this summer. What would you guys say?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Not currently biglaw, but weighing in anyway: Nope.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Blowing deadlines are the worst thing you can do as a summer that will legit get you no-offered

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”