Being a Lawyer for a Worker Center? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Being a Lawyer for a Worker Center?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Hey all--Anyone know anything about worker centers? Places like Restaurant Opportunities Center, Jobs with Justice, etc. I'm struggling to find info on how these places pay, reviews of what it's like to work for one (though this obviously differs from place to place), hiring practices, etc. I know they're part of larger organizations like ENLACE and InterFaith Worker Justice (apart from being supported by labor unions).

Anon b/c I've applied to a few of these places and I don't want to out myself with other info.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Re: Being a Lawyer for a Worker Center?

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:40 pm

I smell Scientology, also communism, black lists, and other things that don't pay well. But, you know, justice in America, and that's noble. Did you go to law school to be noble? Yes? Well you've found your outlet. Ignore the irony that to advocate for those causes as a lawyer you already need to be rich and / or have no debt. Your cause is just, and I say this in seriousness--if I could afford it, I'd be right there with you. The Scientology thing was a joke. Last thought - other applicants might be crazy over qualified and just as committed and from wealthy backgrounds so they don't need the money but will use the experience. So, liberals, amiright?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Anyway...helpful comments are what I'm looking for.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyway...helpful comments are what I'm looking for.
Ok. Practice reading between the lines. It will make you a better lawyer.

Edit: it won't pay well, but it may be fulfilling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 8:23 pm

You can get a window into working at one of these organizations (or at a traditional labor union) by applying for a summer Peggy Browning Fellowship at one. https://www.peggybrowningfund.org/fello ... -positions

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”