Survey: Of those who just graduated, how many regret it? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Do you regret your decision to go to law school

Yes, I regret going - though I landed an awesome job (i.e., your 'best case scenario' job, your goal)
13%
Yes, I regret going - though I landed an okay job (i.e., not exactly what you dreamed of, but it will do)
5%
Yes, I regret going - and I landed a shitty job
1%
Yes, I regret going - and I don't have a job
6%
No, I'm glad I went - and I landed an awesome job
51%
No, I'm glad I went - and I landed an okay job
12%
No, I'm glad I went - and I landed a shitty job
No votes
No, I'm glad I went - and I don't have a job
12%

Total votes: 100

portaprokoss

Bronze

Survey: Of those who just graduated, how many regret it?

Post by portaprokoss » Sun May 18, 2014 9:30 am

This year's graduates, who regrets going to law school?
Last edited by portaprokoss on Sun May 18, 2014 11:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

DELG

Gold

Re: Survey: Of those who just graduated, how many regret it?

Post by DELG » Sun May 18, 2014 9:33 am

Pretty early for this. Almost no one has made their first loan payment yet or spent one day at that dream job.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sun May 18, 2014 9:34 am

DELG wrote:Pretty early for this. Almost no one has made their first loan payment yet or spent one day at that dream job.
Perhaps a year from now I'll make a second survey for Class of 2014 associates. Comparison will be interesting (read hilarious).

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun May 18, 2014 11:08 am

Define awesome job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 18, 2014 11:11 am

spleenworship wrote:Define awesome job.
I left it vague purposefully . May be big law for some, may be boutique or clerking for others. I don't know. I guess the sort of job you envisioned as a 1L when you thought 'I need to do well so I can have a chance to X.'
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 18, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun May 18, 2014 11:14 am

K. Voted.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sun May 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Those who are glad they went but don't have a job. Why? Feel free to anonymize.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Glad I went, have a job lined up.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:55 pm

lawyers and law students are pieces of shit. of course the only people who regret going to law school have jobs and none of the people who don't have jobs regret going. lawyers and law students are 100% incapable of admitting mistakes that might reflect poorly on their own intellect/work ethic when they haven't ended up in as good of a situation as their peers. another example of this is the fact that law students who get bad grades NEVER talk about it, either on here or IRL. everyone has to pretend they're smart/capable/successful.

some of you are just dumber/lazier than others and, therefore, weren't able to succeed. it's okay to feel regret for trying to do something that you straight up failed at. it's okay to admit that you probably should have just become a UPS delivery guy from the get go. try admitting your inadequacy and fuckups a bit more, since this is an online forum and nobody gives a fuck who you are for the most part, and your mental illnesses might subside a bit

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:wut.
i hate lawyers

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Sun May 18, 2014 5:53 pm

^ So much this.

Also your name immediately makes me think you're a d-bag. I'd probably hate you too.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sun May 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:lawyers and law students are pieces of shit. of course the only people who regret going to law school have jobs and none of the people who don't have jobs regret going. lawyers and law students are 100% incapable of admitting mistakes that might reflect poorly on their own intellect/work ethic when they haven't ended up in as good of a situation as their peers. another example of this is the fact that law students who get bad grades NEVER talk about it, either on here or IRL. everyone has to pretend they're smart/capable/successful.

some of you are just dumber/lazier than others and, therefore, weren't able to succeed. it's okay to feel regret for trying to do something that you straight up failed at. it's okay to admit that you probably should have just become a UPS delivery guy from the get go. try admitting your inadequacy and fuckups a bit more, since this is an online forum and nobody gives a fuck who you are for the most part, and your mental illnesses might subside a bit
Wait. How is having a job and saying you regret your decision not to go to law school not admitting a mistake? Shit. Anybody saying they regret it are admitting their mistake. But for clarity's sake: choosing to go to the law school was one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chizzy

Silver

Post by chizzy » Sun May 18, 2014 6:39 pm

This worries me. Why is it that a lot of people don't like law school? I'm a 0l but most of the things I'm reading discourage me.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Because law school is full of law students?

Also, 0Ls aren't allowed to post in this forum, sorry.

chizzy

Silver

Post by chizzy » Sun May 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Deleted
Last edited by chizzy on Sun May 18, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chizzy

Silver

Post by chizzy » Sun May 18, 2014 6:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Because law school is full of law students?

Also, 0Ls aren't allowed to post in this forum, sorry.
Ah sorry about that. Didn't see the thread classification

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:29 pm

portaprokoss wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:lawyers and law students are pieces of shit. of course the only people who regret going to law school have jobs and none of the people who don't have jobs regret going. lawyers and law students are 100% incapable of admitting mistakes that might reflect poorly on their own intellect/work ethic when they haven't ended up in as good of a situation as their peers. another example of this is the fact that law students who get bad grades NEVER talk about it, either on here or IRL. everyone has to pretend they're smart/capable/successful.

Wait. How is having a job and saying you regret your decision not to go to law school not admitting a mistake? Shit. Anybody saying they regret it are admitting their mistake. But for clarity's sake: choosing to go to the law school was one of the biggest mistakes of my life.
My point is that the only lawyers/law students who admit making a mistake are people who have an objectively awesome situation compared to those who are jobless. You don't find this odd? To me, it's evidence of some kind of omnipresent mental illness in the legal community.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sun May 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:My point is that the only lawyers/law students who admit making a mistake are people who have an objectively awesome situation compared to those who are jobless. You don't find that even the least bit odd? To me, it's evidence of some kind of omnipresent mental illness in the legal community.
Your conclusion happens to be right but your reasoning is wrong.

Yes, lawyers (relative to other similar professionals as well as the general population) are disproportionately stressed, physically unhealthy, mentally ill, suicidal, and substance abusers. So no, their situation isn't objectively awesome. In fact if you consider the objective evidence for the unique misery of lawyers, quitting law or never entering in the first place is the 'objectively awesome' path.

Given that the profession is objectively miserable (in a survey of Michigan alums taken pre-crash ~78% were 'dissatisfied or worse' with their career), perhaps a better explanation is that some have admitted their mistake, some don't yet realize their mistake, and some are in denial. That seems more in accordance with the prideful nature of lawyers than omnipresent mental illness.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Sun May 18, 2014 10:46 pm

Last edited by portaprokoss on Mon May 19, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:39 pm

Why bother with this poll?

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Mon May 19, 2014 12:07 am

I'm going to take an identical one of the class of 2014 a year from now and compare the results in order to see how starting actual work impacts one's impression.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Mon May 19, 2014 12:30 am

portaprokoss wrote:I'm going to take an identical one of the class of 2014 a year from now and compare the results in order to see how starting actual work impacts one's impression.
Why not a 2013 one right now?

I'd be mildly interested.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Mon May 19, 2014 2:28 am

I don't have anything to compare it with since I didn't survey the class of 2013 a year ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”