Possible for L. Rev. Publications to Hurt BigLaw Prospects? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Possible for L. Rev. Publications to Hurt BigLaw Prospects?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 16, 2014 4:56 pm

I was hoping to get some advice on whether publishing law review articles might, in some instances, actually hurt one’s candidacy for a BigLaw job. Let’s say a T30 law grad with no law firm experience clerks for Dist. Ct. --> COA and, while clerking, publishes several law review articles that deal with abstract conlaw issues. Will these types of impractical publications lead large law firms to ding this candidate as a head-in-the-clouds lawprof wannabe, or are the publications still a net positive? Neutral? Assume these publications are in the flagship journals of Tier 2 schools. Is this a situation where maybe 1 or 2 wouldn’t hurt, but 3 or 4 would attract negative attention?

If more info is needed to give an informed answer, I’ll do my best to provide it. But hopefully this is enough to get the ball rolling.

Devlin

Silver

Re: Possible for L. Rev. Publications to Hurt BigLaw Prospects?

Post by Devlin » Fri May 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was hoping to get some advice on whether publishing law review articles might, in some instances, actually hurt one’s candidacy for a BigLaw job. Let’s say a T30 law grad with no law firm experience clerks for Dist. Ct. --> COA and, while clerking, publishes several law review articles that deal with abstract conlaw issues. Will these types of impractical publications lead large law firms to ding this candidate as a head-in-the-clouds lawprof wannabe, or are the publications still a net positive? Neutral? Assume these publications are in the flagship journals of Tier 2 schools. Is this a situation where maybe 1 or 2 wouldn’t hurt, but 3 or 4 would attract negative attention?

If more info is needed to give an informed answer, I’ll do my best to provide it. But hopefully this is enough to get the ball rolling.
Simply, no.

The only situation I could imagine a law review publication hurting you is if, for instance, you practice in Texas and write a piece called "Why Fracking is Bad" or something that goes completely counter to the industry you are trying to work in.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Sat May 17, 2014 5:07 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Wed May 28, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Sat May 17, 2014 8:36 am

JusticeJackson wrote:Why do you even need to put it on your resume? In law school, before I had any idea what I wanted to do with my degree, I published a note on some obscure patent bullshit. As soon as I realized I had no interest in patents, that was gone.
Patents might be a little different if you're trying not to get shoe-horned. In general firms will assume good things about having publications (smart, write well, gunner tendencies, etc).

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat May 17, 2014 10:14 am

lol only neurotic law students would think of this question. the shoes you wear to your interview are more likely to affect your big law prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Sat May 17, 2014 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was hoping to get some advice on whether publishing law review articles might, in some instances, actually hurt one’s candidacy for a BigLaw job. Let’s say a T30 law grad with no law firm experience clerks for Dist. Ct. --> COA and, while clerking, publishes several law review articles that deal with abstract conlaw issues. Will these types of impractical publications lead large law firms to ding this candidate as a head-in-the-clouds lawprof wannabe, or are the publications still a net positive? Neutral? Assume these publications are in the flagship journals of Tier 2 schools. Is this a situation where maybe 1 or 2 wouldn’t hurt, but 3 or 4 would attract negative attention?

Publish as much as you can but only list one or two on your résumé. Yes there is a chance a few firms may find you too academicy. And the firms that like to see a publication aren't going to give you extra points for having four pubs over two.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Sat May 17, 2014 11:35 am

Why don't you just write about the area(s) you want to practice in?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”