How do people pay for their bar trip? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Re: How do people pay for their bar trip?

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:15 am

zweitbester wrote:Truly a wonder that the bar trip is still a staple in the world of $200k student loans.
A cool trip or pay back like 1.5% of my loans?!?! Easy choice my friend.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed May 14, 2014 11:20 am

Desert Fox wrote:
zweitbester wrote:Truly a wonder that the bar trip is still a staple in the world of $200k student loans.
I think both are possible if you game credit card points very early on and have like 200,000 accrued by the time you graduate. But I'm more lamenting how expensive law school has become and how much bullshit it is than that law students shouldn't be taking bar trips.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:22 am

zweitbester wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I think both are possible if you game credit card points very early on and have like 200,000 accrued by the time you graduate. But I'm more lamenting how expensive law school has become and how much bullshit it is than that law students shouldn't be taking bar trips.
Was it you who said you got Salle Mae to take a credit card?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed May 14, 2014 11:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Was it you who said you got Salle Mae to take a credit card?
Yup. I mean... I didn't get them to do it. They just offered it to me. It caught me off guard while I was watching TV and I had to ask them to repeat themselves.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Wed May 14, 2014 11:38 am

You could take a road trip. It would be relatively easy to keep costs down if you don't stay at expensive hotels and split the gas and tolls with a few friends. You could also try Groupon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed May 14, 2014 2:25 pm

I can't believe that class gifts are still a thing, too.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed May 14, 2014 2:26 pm

beachbum wrote:
This one shocked the piss out of me. No no absolutely not fuck off.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:31 pm

IAFG wrote:
beachbum wrote:
This one shocked the piss out of me. No no absolutely not fuck off.
Since you just paid us 150k financed through 7-8% loans, we'd appreciate it if you could chip in an extra $5. Thanks.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed May 14, 2014 2:36 pm

My loans are less annoying when I think of them as a gift to the school that I financed in advance.

Feel free to engrave my name on a library table.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Wed May 14, 2014 2:37 pm

zweitbester wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Was it you who said you got Salle Mae to take a credit card?
Yup. I mean... I didn't get them to do it. They just offered it to me. It caught me off guard while I was watching TV and I had to ask them to repeat themselves.
WHAT? Is this true?! As in you can pay every month with a credit card on auto-pay (and still get the .25 interest reduction or whatever)? If so, how? I have never seen the option on any student loan service.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed May 14, 2014 2:40 pm

bk1 wrote:Since you just paid us 150k financed through 7-8% loans, we'd appreciate it if you could chip in an extra $5. Thanks.
Duke really tried to guilt us into it, too. Like it was somehow our duty to donate to the school and to thus show our appreciation for the hard, thankless work put in by our professors and administrators - all in the name of providing us, the ungrateful students, with a superior education.

We ended up as the least giving class in five years.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:54 pm

beachbum wrote:Duke really tried to guilt us into it, too. Like it was somehow our duty to donate to the school and to thus show our appreciation for the hard, thankless work put in by our professors and administrators - all in the name of providing us, the ungrateful students, with a superior education.

NU was the same in trying to guilt us. They can go fuck themselves.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:11 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:
MSPeast wrote:$2 megabus tickets.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed May 14, 2014 5:19 pm

MSPeast wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:
Okay and then what? Visiting grandma?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed May 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can I afford a bar trip?
Obviously not. And I do not think it is a good idea to borrow money for a vacation.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed May 14, 2014 6:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
beachbum wrote:Duke really tried to guilt us into it, too. Like it was somehow our duty to donate to the school and to thus show our appreciation for the hard, thankless work put in by our professors and administrators - all in the name of providing us, the ungrateful students, with a superior education.

NU, you already have all my money.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Wed May 14, 2014 6:43 pm

IAFG wrote:
bk1 wrote:

NU, you already have all my money.
do i get the chance to actually look someone from admin in the eyes and laugh when they ask? that would help make the 165k worth it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:47 pm

IAFG wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:
Okay and then what? Visiting grandma?
Spending all the money I saved in Boystown. 8)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:17 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:do i get the chance to actually look someone from admin in the eyes and laugh when they ask? that would help make the 165k worth it
The worst part is that it comes in the form of repetitive emails from a student on the grad committee. It's like, holy shit you're a student you should fucking know better than to pass along this garbage.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed May 14, 2014 11:25 pm

bk1 wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:do i get the chance to actually look someone from admin in the eyes and laugh when they ask? that would help make the 165k worth it
The worst part is that it comes in the form of repetitive emails from a student on the grad committee. It's like, holy shit you're a student you should fucking know better than to pass along this garbage.
Jesus Christ, I can't believe this still goes on. I will laugh in the face of anyone who asks me to give another penny to an institution that throws out $5,000's worth of four star catered food on a daily basis. As much as I enjoy eating the leftovers.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu May 15, 2014 12:16 am

bk1 wrote:The worst part is that it comes in the form of repetitive emails from a student on the grad committee. It's like, holy shit you're a student you should fucking know better than to pass along this garbage.
This. On some twisted level, I understand how professors and administrators can ask for class gifts. They're so far removed from legal practice (and, more importantly, the legal market) that the reality facing their students - and their role in shaping that reality - probably doesn't even cross their minds. But students? Holy shit dude. You think you know someone until the day they start asking you to donate money to these people.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 15, 2014 12:58 am

beachbum wrote:
bk1 wrote:The worst part is that it comes in the form of repetitive emails from a student on the grad committee. It's like, holy shit you're a student you should fucking know better than to pass along this garbage.
This. On some twisted level, I understand how professors and administrators can ask for class gifts. They're so far removed from legal practice (and, more importantly, the legal market) that the reality facing their students - and their role in shaping that reality - probably doesn't even cross their minds. But students? Holy shit dude. You think you know someone until the day they start asking you to donate money to these people.
My friends are from the section that had the highest participation and I give them shit about it all the time. I didn't go to graduation but I am told I would have "blacked out" if I heard the class speaker's (aka Class Gift Campaign Chair's) speech about awesome everything at Duke Law is.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu May 15, 2014 11:28 am

There are tons of rich kids in law school who totally have money for that kind of thing though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”