Jury duty during SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MonsterTRM

New

Jury duty during SA

Post by MonsterTRM » Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 am

I deferred jury duty during the school year, and I got a new assignment right in the middle of my summer associate position. The state won't let me defer again. I'll let the law firm know. Any thoughts of anything else I can do?

Frothingslosh

Bronze

Re: Jury duty during SA

Post by Frothingslosh » Wed May 07, 2014 10:59 am

I'm in the same position. They'll understand just as much as any other employer. I wouldn't imagine it would be much of an issue.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Wed May 07, 2014 12:29 pm

MonsterTRM wrote:I deferred jury duty during the school year, and I got a new assignment right in the middle of my summer associate position. The state won't let me defer again. I'll let the law firm know. Any thoughts of anything else I can do?
Just make sure to say crazy shit during voir dire to not get picked.

tonidee

New

Post by tonidee » Wed May 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Contact the HR person and let them know.

They will tell you to remind the assigning attorneys about your absence so you don't have deadlines when you are gone.

MonsterTRM

New

Post by MonsterTRM » Wed May 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Devlin wrote:
MonsterTRM wrote:I deferred jury duty during the school year, and I got a new assignment right in the middle of my summer associate position. The state won't let me defer again. I'll let the law firm know. Any thoughts of anything else I can do?

Lol, I hope you're kidding. I watched a judge chew out a potential juror who was a lawyer as well for saying crazy shit. The judge called his law firm, and he had to do community service for the duration of the trial. Moral of the story is, if you're an attorney or law student, don't be an ass during voir dire.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Just let the recruiting folks know ASAP and inform any specific attorneys you end up working with. The only way this can be a problem is if you manage it poorly.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Wed May 07, 2014 2:28 pm

I'm also worried about being called up for jury duty during my summer. Haven't gotten word of a specific day to show up yet, so keeping my fingers crossed they pass over me.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Wed May 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Curious, is there no one you can take your case to? You’re a LS with a mountain of tuition debt and cannot afford to lose $600 a day. Perhaps an attorney at your SA firm can pull some strings...maybe?

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Dafaq wrote:Curious, is there no one you can take your case to? You’re a LS with a mountain of tuition debt and cannot afford to lose $600 a day. Perhaps an attorney at your SA firm can pull some strings...maybe?
I really don't think the Firm would dock you your pay as an SA for jury duty. From my experience, firms are reluctant to take away your salary for days-missed even when you have to miss a day. As in, they "reserve the right to" but they also want you to say "yes" when and if they give you that offer.

Perhaps this should be a Q OP asks HR, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed May 07, 2014 2:58 pm

I can't think of a better time to have jury duty. During your SA, you will have little to no real responsibility. If it's a big law firm, the firm will likely care more about your attendance at after-hours social events (which you can still attend after jury duty) than they will about your presence in the office during the day.

Just let the recruiters (and/or the summer associate coordinator) know in advance when you're on-call for jury duty. No one will care.

fxb

New

Post by fxb » Wed May 07, 2014 3:01 pm

Dafaq wrote:Curious, is there no one you can take your case to? You’re a LS with a mountain of tuition debt and cannot afford to lose $600 a day. Perhaps an attorney at your SA firm can pull some strings...maybe?
Last edited by fxb on Thu May 08, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonidee

New

Post by tonidee » Wed May 07, 2014 3:03 pm

For missing the days, you can always offer to stay a few extra days.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:08 pm

If I were an trial lawyer I don't know that I would want a 2L on my jury. Maybe you'll get lucky and one of the attorneys will use a strike/challenge on you (no idea how this works in practice).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Wed May 07, 2014 3:18 pm

tonidee wrote:For missing the days, you can always offer to stay a few extra days.
Actually, not a bad idea. My 10 week SA turned into 12 weeks. As far as docking, that’s likely on a firm-to-firm basis. I know a couple SAs at big law firms who weren’t paid for holidays that fell in the middle of the week and some firms do not offer paid sick days (again, speaking of some large firms). Also, SAs experiences greatly differ, some SAs are staffed on cases and some aren’t. Your SA mileage may vary…

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 07, 2014 4:34 pm

There is no way the firm docks your pay.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed May 07, 2014 9:25 pm

tonidee wrote:For missing the days, you can always offer to stay a few extra days.
This. Many firms will let you if they have work (which they almost always do -- if they don't, that's a bit of a red flag anyway).

MonsterTRM

New

Post by MonsterTRM » Wed May 07, 2014 9:44 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
This. Many firms will let you if they have work (which they almost always do -- if they don't, that's a bit of a red flag anyway).
I think this is what I'll do. I have a final tomorrow, so after that, I'll write the recruiter and let them know. This thread has been very helpful, thank you all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed May 07, 2014 10:05 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
This statement is false for both firms I summered at while in law school. (These were both V20 firms.) One of the firms didn't have all that much work for the summers to do, but that wasn't a sign that the firm was slow—quite the opposite. Everyone was so slammed that they didn't have time to make work for the summers. You might do some substantive work here and there as a SA—it's possible to add value once in awhile—but overall you're just a time suck for the associates and partners. It's part of the cost of recruiting for the firm.

At both of the firms I summered at, there's no way they would have bothered to dock your pay if you missed a few days because of jury duty. (Or if you missed a few days because your grandmother died or because you had to attend your sister's wedding or whatever.) The SA thing is basically a recruiting party for the firms; they want you to have a good time and they want you to say nice things about the firm to your classmates when you return to law school. Yes, they also want to see a couple of written assignments from you—they want to make sure you're not illiterate. But they can figure that out after a couple of weeks. If, because of jury duty, you end up working nine weeks instead of ten, I seriously doubt anyone at the firm will care (or even notice). Just let them know in advance when you have jury duty.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed May 07, 2014 10:21 pm

the odds of you ending up doing more than a day as a juror are pretty slim
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChardPennington

Silver

Post by ChardPennington » Wed May 07, 2014 11:51 pm

To be honest I think appearing to weasel out of jury duty would be more likely to land you in hot water than just doing your jury service. Recall that as a summer literally nothing you do is critical to the firm.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Thu May 08, 2014 12:41 am

MonsterTRM wrote:
Devlin wrote:

Lol, I hope you're kidding. I watched a judge chew out a potential juror who was a lawyer as well for saying crazy shit. The judge called his law firm, and he had to do community service for the duration of the trial. Moral of the story is, if you're an attorney or law student, don't be an ass during voir dire.
You can be more subtle about it. Crazy shit does not equal being an ass. Very fine threshold OP needs to cross.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Thu May 08, 2014 12:50 am

You should appear very enthusiastic about being called for the case. You can say oh torts was my favorite subject and I'd love to be a part of a real lawsuit. Or if it is criminal you can talk about how you have friends that are police officers, and you are in awe of what they do to keep you safe. Appearing to have an interest in the case or some kind of strong position about law enforcement are the quickest ways to be dismissed. Remember serving on this jury would be the highlight of your life and police officers are your heroes

POTUS2044

New

Post by POTUS2044 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:19 am

jdmonkey wrote:You should appear very enthusiastic about being called for the case. You can say oh torts was my favorite subject and I'd love to be a part of a real lawsuit. Or if it is criminal you can talk about how you have friends that are police officers, and you are in awe of what they do to keep you safe. Appearing to have an interest in the case or some kind of strong position about law enforcement are the quickest ways to be dismissed. Remember serving on this jury would be the highlight of your life and police officers are your heroes
alternatively, how much you loved learning about jury nullification

but, IME you will not get to that for at least a couple days.

you will very likely have an opportunity to disqualify yourself well before they get to official voir dire.

fxb

New

Post by fxb » Thu May 08, 2014 10:15 am

jdmonkey wrote:You should appear very enthusiastic about being called for the case. You can say oh torts was my favorite subject and I'd love to be a part of a real lawsuit. Or if it is criminal you can talk about how you have friends that are police officers, and you are in awe of what they do to keep you safe. Appearing to have an interest in the case or some kind of strong position about law enforcement are the quickest ways to be dismissed. Remember serving on this jury would be the highlight of your life and police officers are your heroes
That would do the trick but there's no need to be so dramatic about it. They'll ask some question (including whether you are a lawyer, whether you have family members in law enforcement, etc.), you go up and chat about it at the bench, and no matter what you say, even if it's just, "my uncle was a police officer," or, "my girlfriend's house was burglarized once," they will ask you whether it will affect your ability to be impartial. Say, "yes, I'm afraid it would." There's really nothing they can do at that point. You won't get seated.
Last edited by fxb on Thu May 08, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu May 08, 2014 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
That would do the trick but there's no need to be so dramatic about it. They'll ask some question (including whether you are a lawyer, whether you have family members in law enforcement, etc.), you go up and chat about it at the bench, and no matter what you say, even if it's just, "my uncle was a police officer," or, "my girlfriend's house was burglarized once," they will ask you whether it will affect your ability to be impartial. Say, "yes, I'm afraid it would." There's really nothing they can do at that point. You won't get seated.
Great use of anon. Hey mods--can we out those who are giving advice about how to avoid jury duty? Or at least relegate the topic to the dregs of the lounge? It's pretty embarrassing that a group of lawyers and prospective lawyers is talking about how to lie to officers of the court in order to avoid jury service.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”