Top Firm Associate to Consulting? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top Firm Associate to Consulting?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 06, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a corporate associate at a top regional firm focusing on a specific industry (think energy/tech etc.). I've been fortunate enough to work on some high-profile deals during my time here and I have pretty extensive tech/energy etc. experience (on the business side) prior to going to law school as well. I've become more and more interested in consulting recently and the regional offices of MBB seem like they focus heavily on that particular industry.

Does anyone know of anybody that has made that kind of switch and how they did it? I've heard of people recruiting for consulting out of law school, but there doesn't seem to much info about experience professionals. If it makes any difference, I went to a top undergrad and an YHS law school.

Thanks for any help!

Anonymous User

Re: Top Firm Associate to Consulting?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 06, 2014 8:37 pm

My interviewer at McKinsey was a former V20 associate. No idea how he made the switch though... and I did not end up getting the job, so cannot ask him now. But it is possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 06, 2014 9:22 pm

This is absolutely possible. First, check your LinkedIn to see if you know anyone at any of those firms. They highly value referred candidates. Barring that, apply directly. They're resume whores, so if your ugrad is as you say, you should get called in.

Don't apply until you've spent substantial time practicing case interviews. They don't really adjust their interviewing style, so you need to adjust to theirs. Vault has some good practice guides, and if you troll around the top business schools' websites, you should find addl resources. Good luck.

choculamaviva

New

Post by choculamaviva » Sun May 11, 2014 7:29 pm

I work at an MBB. PM if you want to discuss further.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 14, 2014 1:34 am

I worked in consulting before coming to law school and several of my managers had JD (some JD/MBA) and had worked big law before coming back into strategy.

Positioning yourself in a particular industry is good. I don't think if you just mail in your resume randomly you'll get an interview just because of where you went to college. Network and find alums or friends either in industry or management.

You may also want to broaden your scope a little bit. McKinsey and BCG do top notch work but depending on your market and industry, firms might be better/at least as fulfilling. For example, in SF, Accenture and Analysis Group are huge. So is Cornerstone if you are looking at more legal-heavy firms (which could be a good starting place for you?). Deloitte might also be a good firm to look at, their recruiting is a little more flexible and they are everywhere.

Also consider how you'll be entering. You'll take a bit of a pay cut. Why do you want to do strategy/supply chain/ect. as opposed to law? The work is pretty different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”