Stupid Question Re: Firm Issued Blackberry Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
iheartmonkey

New

Stupid Question Re: Firm Issued Blackberry

Post by iheartmonkey » Tue May 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Sorry for this inane question. I have the option of using my personal iPhone or receiving a firm issued a blackberry for the summer to receive work related emails. I would prefer to use just one device so I'm leaning towards just using my iPhone but I'm wondering is there a benefit in using the blackberry that I haven't thought of... So, is there?

Diamond

Re: Stupid Question Re: Firm Issued Blackberry

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:27 pm

I got dirty looks for choosing IPhone. They want to have a backup phone to reach you. My partner has his email on both.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Tue May 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I got dirty looks for choosing IPhone. They want to have a backup phone to reach you. My partner has his email on both.
On the other hand, if you don't combine they'll think you're a sexual deviant.

iheartmonkey

New

Post by iheartmonkey » Tue May 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I got dirty looks for choosing IPhone. They want to have a backup phone to reach you. My partner has his email on both.
Backup phone. Genius. Thanks for weighing in!

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Tue May 06, 2014 4:00 pm

From whom did you receive dirty looks?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue May 06, 2014 4:02 pm

i combine and so does almost everyone who started with me. carrying/charging two devices is beyond annoying.

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Tue May 06, 2014 4:09 pm

IAFG wrote:i combine and so does almost everyone who started with me. carrying/charging two devices is beyond annoying.
Yea. I find it hard to believe that anyone would care enough to give dirty looks. Maybe the guy above me was trolling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 06, 2014 4:13 pm

I went with the blackberry last summer and hated it. Blackberries are old (nearly obsolete at this point) and very difficult to type on, and cannot do anything other than email and basic calendar. I hated having to carry around a second device, and since it wouldn't fit in my pocket along with my personal cell phone I had to keep it on my belt clip and look like a dork. That's fine when your in the office, but not when you want to go out after work.

On the other hand, some people like the idea of keeping their personal / work lives separate, which is easier to do with 2 devices.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Personal preference, but just give in now, your life is over and has merged with your job. Besides, two phones are for philanderers only.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue May 06, 2014 5:18 pm

I've got two devices. It's nice to not have to worry about emails being sent from the wrong account, browsing certain NSFW sites/apps, etc. As a summer, I don't see why you'd want to have the firm email sent to your personal phone. For one, you're not expected to answer emails after business hours so you can just leave the blackberry at your desk. I just don't like the idea of every text, call, pic, and app usage being logged in some firm hard drive.

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Worked in IB for 2 years and did both. Kinda a pain taking 2 phones out at night or with friend, but then again it it nice to have a backup.

horseradish

New

Post by horseradish » Tue May 06, 2014 5:52 pm

de5igual wrote:I've got two devices. It's nice to not have to worry about emails being sent from the wrong account, browsing certain NSFW sites/apps, etc. As a summer, I don't see why you'd want to have the firm email sent to your personal phone. For one, you're not expected to answer emails after business hours so you can just leave the blackberry at your desk. I just don't like the idea of every text, call, pic, and app usage being logged in some firm hard drive.
While you likely won't receive many emails after business hours that require you to respond, it is most certainly not advisable to leave your blackberry at your desk. There are people at the firm who will expect a response regardless of the fact that you are an SA. On the off-chance you get an email from one of them, its probably better to not piss them off.

Generally, firms vary in their expectations of summer associates. While the summer is generally light on work, i know many people, including myself, who had a late night here or there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

middlemarch

New

Post by middlemarch » Tue May 06, 2014 6:04 pm

I used two devices, my iPhone and a firm-issued Blackberry, for my 1L summer (wasn't given the option) and merged on my iPhone for my 2L summer.

As a guy, merging was a major plus for me for the simple reason that carrying two devices is a huge pain during the summer when I don't carry around a bag, and I don't have any coat pockets. I definitely felt the need to bring my work phone that first summer even after business hours (that is, after all, why it's given to you) and on some occasions had to write quick e-mails while away from my computer. There are some/many partners who will at least value your fast responses to their emails; you might not have to complete a project as soon as it's given to you, but it's nice to be able to reply promptly to confirm you're on it.

Another benefit is that the firm will typically pay for all or part of your phone/data plan if you merge devices. And since it's not the firm paying for a phone, but instead the firm reimbursing you, I never felt that I had to censor my phone/social media usage--the way it worked for me was there would simply be another folder in my e-mail app that exclusively received work e-mails.

lizaregina

New

Post by lizaregina » Tue May 06, 2014 7:59 pm

I am going to be using one phone as well but the only drawback is that if your work email gets subpoenaed they can take your whole phone to make sure that there wasn't a work/personal crossover. The chances of that happening are small but just throwing that out there.

I only know about this because it happened at my dad's firm and then checked with my firm to verify if it was accurate info.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue May 06, 2014 9:34 pm

iheartmonkey wrote:Sorry for this inane question. I have the option of using my personal iPhone or receiving a firm issued a blackberry for the summer to receive work related emails. I would prefer to use just one device so I'm leaning towards just using my iPhone but I'm wondering is there a benefit in using the blackberry that I haven't thought of... So, is there?
I'm gonna tell you right now that most firms give summers BB-type devices to make the summers feel like they are real employees and important, but you will rarely have urgent work as a summer, so you'll rarely need to be tied to your firm-issued device. It's done for show. That said, the responses below pretty much sum it up--annoying to carry/charge two devices, some people like to keep their personal stuff personal.

thirtyandseven

New

Post by thirtyandseven » Wed May 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Can't you just take the BB to make them happy, and then just leave it permanently charging at your desk and have it forward all calls/emails to your personal iPhone/android?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:00 pm

thirtyandseven wrote:Can't you just take the BB to make them happy, and then just leave it permanently charging at your desk and have it forward all calls/emails to your personal iPhone/android?
Why would taking the BB make them happy?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 pm

bk1 wrote:
thirtyandseven wrote:Can't you just take the BB to make them happy, and then just leave it permanently charging at your desk and have it forward all calls/emails to your personal iPhone/android?
Why would taking the BB make them happy?
DF inexplicably implied they want us to take BBs. They don't.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:03 pm

IAFG wrote:DF inexplicably implied they want us to take BBs. They don't.
Oh I forgot he said that. Thought thirtyandseven was responding to a more recent post.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Thu May 08, 2014 10:39 am

Even if this had any benefit, it wouldn't necessarily fly with the firm. They might have some concern over how secure your personal phone/email client is. If you get firm email on your iphone/android, you have to hand over your phone and have the firm install some security stuff on it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu May 08, 2014 12:41 pm

aces wrote:
Even if this had any benefit, it wouldn't necessarily fly with the firm. They might have some concern over how secure your personal phone/email client is. If you get firm email on your iphone/android, you have to hand over your phone and have the firm install some security stuff on it.
Yeah the only wrong answer here is "forward all your work emails to your gmail account."

thirtyandseven

New

Post by thirtyandseven » Thu May 08, 2014 2:52 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
aces wrote:
Yeah the only wrong answer here is "forward all your work emails to your gmail account."
haha yea, actually, I retract my prior suggestion. Although I was thinking more along the lines of forwarding calls and logging into your work email on the personal phone, but that still leaves the security concerns that aces raised.

ETA: If the only reason they would want you to take a BB (in the unlikely event they even do want that--see IAFG above) is as a backup in case your personal device gets stolen/flushed down the toilet/etc., they might not mind setting up security on your personal phone too, because you'll still have the BB at your desk if anything happens to the personal device.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”