Have interview immediately before bar deadline Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Have interview immediately before bar deadline

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 05, 2014 12:53 pm

I registered to take the bar in one state (and paid for it) and I have an interview in a different state coming up. The deadline to register for the bar in the second state is going to happen before I get any sort of answer from this interview. Registering for the second state's bar is expensive and non-refundable, and if I don't get an offer from this firm, I am unlikely to end up in the second state.
What should I do? Should I burn a thousand bucks registering for a bar that might be useful but might not be? Or should I take the other state's bar in July and tell this employer that I will have to take the bar later? Is there anything else I can do? I can't find any information about late registration. Do some states offer late registration with a penalty?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Have interview immediately before bar deadline

Post by bk1 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:00 pm

Yes some states have extended registration deadlines that cost more. What's your financial situation? How badly do you want this job? What do you think your likelihood of getting this job is?

I generally think people should err on the side of caution and put themselves in the best possible situation re job interviews. But $1000 is not pocket change and depending on your financial situation could be quite a risk to take.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”