Signing up for classes with OCI in mind Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Signing up for classes with OCI in mind

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 05, 2014 11:41 am

If i'm leaning more towards corporate and would like to take corporate classes for 2L/3L, how do I approach this for OCI?
What do I tell litigation-only or similar firms that I want litigation when my classes show the opposite?

Should I take more general classes during 3L and save the corporate classes for 3L?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Signing up for classes with OCI in mind

Post by bk1 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:51 am

They aren't really going to care about the classes you have signed up for but not yet taken. Especially if you can articulate why you want to do litigation or vice versa.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon May 05, 2014 11:55 am

what classes even really are trans oriented

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:If i'm leaning more towards corporate and would like to take corporate classes for 2L/3L, how do I approach this for OCI?
What do I tell litigation-only or similar firms that I want litigation when my classes show the opposite?

Should I take more general classes during 3L and save the corporate classes for 3L?
Does your school really have a bunch of "corporate" classes. Shit like sec reg and BA aren't "Corporate" they are litigation, if you must categorize.

Shit like project finance, business planning, secured transactions, etc, etc, are actually somewhat corporate.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon May 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If i'm leaning more towards corporate and would like to take corporate classes for 2L/3L, how do I approach this for OCI?

Does your school really have a bunch of "corporate" classes. Shit like sec reg and BA aren't "Corporate" they are litigation, if you must categorize.

Shit like project finance, business planning, secured transactions, etc, etc, are actually somewhat corporate.
even sec trannies you could spin as lit

i'm still not even sure what i was supposed to learn in proj fin so i can't speak to that

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:01 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

even sec trannies you could spin as lit

i'm still not even sure what i was supposed to learn in proj fin so i can't speak to that
The only thing I learned was that deals aren't really law.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon May 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Don't even take this into account--no one is going to hire/not hire you based on classes that you are enrolled in. For all they know you will fail the class anyway.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Don't even take this into account--no one is going to hire/not hire you based on classes that you are enrolled in. For all they know you will fail the class anyway.
I think the idea is that it shows interest. Having Trial Ad, Civ Pro II, Evidence, and FedJur on your transcript might be sort of suspicious if you walk in saying you are transactional or die.

But really nobody cares enough to look.

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Mon May 05, 2014 12:29 pm

I had people asking me what classes I was going to take in the fall.
Luckily they were aligned with what I was saying I wanted to practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon May 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Unagi wrote:I had people asking me what classes I was going to take in the fall.
Luckily they were aligned with what I was saying I wanted to practice.
Yeah, I mean don't be retarded. If you say you want Corporate/M&A and you're registered for Family law, art law, Criminal Procedure, Immigration law, and Criminal defense clinic then that will obviously hurt you.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon May 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Tax could help.

echooo23

Bronze

Post by echooo23 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:50 pm

In 1 out of 25+ screeners, I was asked once. It didn't seem to matter no matter what I said. During CBs, I did have 2 or 3 interviews ask, but I mostly just to make conversation. It didn't seem to matter what I said, either.

I didn't choose classes with a mind toward OCI for showing interest. I chose classes with a mind toward a light workload so that I could concentrate on the job hunt. Thankfully, I got that out of the way fairly early in the semester, but I know some people who didn't which, when combined with a heavy workload, was pretty shitty.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:54 pm

No one cares. Law school is litigation based, but everyone knows not every lawyer becomes a litigator. All that matters is As

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Well I guess my question sort of stems from my ignorance of the type of work litigators do and how some classes are relevant.

For example, how would you spin tax, corporate tax/finance, or M&A in a litigation interview?

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue May 06, 2014 12:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Agreed, although I would probably put sec reg in the "somewhat corporate" category. I've occasionally relied on my recollection of various rules from that class during the past 20 months.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue May 06, 2014 8:45 am

Probably the safest thing is to sign up for bar classes. They send a totally neutral message.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Tue May 06, 2014 10:00 am

I would sign up for a few because if that's the area of law you want to practice, why not take the classes?

Also, I think it does help out during OCI because it portrays your genuine interest in the area. For instance, I had a screener with a tax boutique, and looked like a fool when I had to tell them that I was not signed up for tax (no CB). Also, one of the gigs I got for my summer is a boutique that I have taken classes in that field, and that certainly helped.

At big firms, it may not make as much as a difference than a boutique, but I still think it helps to show a passion and give you something to connect with. I went in to OCI with the "I'm not sure what I want to do" approach, and the fear for that is you will just get lost in the shuffle. Showing your interest in the type of law you want to practice by taking some relevant classes is just more ammo you have to make yourself stand out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:23 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Agreed, although I would probably put sec reg in the "somewhat corporate" category. I've occasionally relied on my recollection of various rules from that class during the past 20 months.
In that respect there are lot of transactional related courses. IP, real estate, employment, tax, BA, bankruptcy, etc. etc.

Really the whole idea that your classes will out you is fairly ridiculous. Just staying away from the classes I originally mentioned, and there is zero risk.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue May 06, 2014 10:33 am

Just sign up for the big doctrinal classes like tax, evidence, admin, corporations. These will offend exactly no one. You can always drop them once OCI ends. Once someone brings up what classes you're taking, and they will because it's an easy conversation starter, tell them you're also waitlisted for a class that is particularly relevant to whatever it is you've feigned interest in over the previous 20 minutes. Easy enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”