Recruiting firms: SearchPoint NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gatesome

Bronze

Recruiting firms: SearchPoint NY

Post by gatesome » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:51 pm

Has anyone heard of SearchPoint NY? I was recently contacted by them regarding a potential position, but I am a little sketched out. Google has a "this site may be hacked" warning when you search "searchpointny."

Their call seemed unsolicited, but they clearly have a copy of my resume. I arranged a preliminary skype interview, but I'm not sure how legit this organization is and I'm very wary of scams. At the very least, I will definitely not provide them with any very personal info like bank info or SSN.

Pros:

Website has existed since at least 2007.
Archived versions of the site show no significant changes that would indicate is has been hacked. http://web.archive.org/web/*/searchpointny.com
They have been incorportaed in NY since 2005: link

Cons:

Google warns their site may have been hacked.
They said they often acquire resumes via Craigslist, and their call to me seemed unsolicited.
They wouldn't say what law firm they were recruiting for, or any they've worked with in the past (though I understand this).
The phone number on their website appears to be a personal number. When I called and asked about SearchPoint, they immediately hung up. (However, the number that called me is identical up to the last two digits, and the person I spoke with seemed authentic and was able to answer pointed questions about their business).
Claims to recruit for a "top 20 firm," but in my experience these firms tend to recruit directly.
They don't seem to recruit through universities.

So do you think this is legit? Worth pursuing? I suppose I don't have much to lose so long as I don't reveal critical privae information. Let me know what you think.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Re: Recruiting firms: SearchPoint NY

Post by JusticeJackson » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Wed May 28, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 pm

Not worth the risk.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:59 pm

No recruiter with even one con is worth it. Avoid avoid avoid. Most recruiters with no cons aren't even worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”