OCI and summer networking Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI and summer networking

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm working in the NYC area in the GC's office of a major company but my school has a NYC off campus OCI the day before my last day on the job. I'm assuming, though i can't say for sure, that this SA position is one where I won't have 2L or post-3L job prospects, though possibly after a few years at a firm I could - as many of their in-house people have done as of recently.

Is it better that I mention to my summer employer I plan on attending the OCI event and won't be there for that day. Also, i'd like to do some networking in the city since it's not my home market; how do i bring up to my employer that i would like to take extra time for these events like during lunch, etc.

Should this all be discussed now with the HR, or once I'm there and in person.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Re: OCI and summer networking

Post by BuckinghamB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:03 pm

I would definitely tell them about OCI sooner rather than later. Is this internship paid? I'm guessing it would be okay to take some afternoons throughout the summer to network as long as it's off the clock. If it's unpaid, I think you're even more justified in taking time off to network. My 1L summer employer was totally fine with me going to long-ish lunches with firm attorneys, but it was also unpaid and I worked with super chill midwestern bros. I would just ask your employer.

Anonymous User

Re: OCI and summer networking

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:02 pm

paid market rate over the summer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”