IP Work Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

IP Work

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Anyone managed to break into soft IP work (ie. copyright/trademark) without having a technical background/degree?

Diamond

Re: IP Work

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone managed to break into soft IP work (ie. copyright/trademark) without having a technical background/degree?
I'm not totally sure a lot of people specialize in it. I can't imagine the work is steady. It's stuff that general litigators can handle.

I could be wrong. And some firms do specialize.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:31 pm

I work at a large national firm and specialize in TM/Copyright. I do TTAB litigation work and do not handle traditional litigation work, but the majority of my day is focused on prosecution of trademarks/copyrights, due dilligence for corporate transactions, and licensing agreements.

There is no reason i can think of to take a tech background over a non-technical degree (and I do not have a tech degree), other than if you operate in the software industries it can come in helpful for software copyright applications. Actually, no one in my office has a technical degree (can't speak to other offices).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work at a large national firm and specialize in TM/Copyright. I do TTAB litigation work and do not handle traditional litigation work, but the majority of my day is focused on prosecution of trademarks/copyrights, due dilligence for corporate transactions, and licensing agreements.

There is no reason i can think of to take a tech background over a non-technical degree (and I do not have a tech degree), other than if you operate in the software industries it can come in helpful for software copyright applications. Actually, no one in my office has a technical degree (can't speak to other offices).
Any suggestions for how to break into this type of work?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:46 pm

I work at a mid-sized national firm and do soft IP, i.e. some licensing and litigation. I've brought a lot of the work in myself and I've had a case or two assigned to me by partners because I have the background in it from my own clients. My advice, be friendly with people that have small start ups or are very creative.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I work at a large national firm and specialize in TM/Copyright. I do TTAB litigation work and do not handle traditional litigation work, but the majority of my day is focused on prosecution of trademarks/copyrights, due dilligence for corporate transactions, and licensing agreements.

Any suggestions for how to break into this type of work?
If you don't summer somewhere and have the ability to get in that way, I would try to focus on classes your school may offer in the IP realm and play that up if/when positions open up. At least that way it shows you have an interest in the area. There's no magic to soft IP, versus any other practice area in this regard, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:06 pm

OP here. I'm graduated/already practicing but my firm doesn't do any IP work and I have limited law school experience in it. Just wondering how I might approach trying to learn that area/get my foot in the door.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”