delete Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Can grades/prestigious 1L SA substitute for law review?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For a clerkship? Maybe not.

For a private sector job? Of course it would be provided you land an offer.
Yes but that isn't because of the SA itself.
Yes it is. The additional experience you get from a 1L SA can definitely make you more appealing to firms. Firm experience on your resume period is something that can be beneficial. I've had numerous recruiting directors/managers tell me as much during interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yes it is. The additional experience you get from a 1L SA can definitely make you more appealing to firms. Firm experience on your resume period is something that can be beneficial. I've had numerous recruiting directors/managers tell me as much during interviews.
Fair enough but the experience of myself and others I know, I didn't see any difference at OCI between the people who had 1L SAs and those who didn't.

daryldixon

Bronze

Post by daryldixon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:05 am

Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:10 am

I think that working in biglaw for a few months if you've never done that sort of work before as a paralegal or whatever might be helpful for 2L OCI. In several of my interviews for 1L SAs this year, I had trouble articulating why I wanted to be in a specific practice group (I eventually got post-callback dings for several of such firms). For example, I'm pretty sure that I would enjoy M&A, but I've never actually worked on the legal aspect of such deals before, so it was difficult to convince some of my interviewers why I wanted to do that sort of work and, more importantly, why I would be good at it based on my previous work experience. I was lucky enough to eventually land a biglaw 1L SA for this summer, and although I don't expect that to give me any sort of boost by itself, I feel like it will give me a boost during 2L OCI interviews because it will allow me to talk from experience rather than just speculating why I think I would be a good fit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”