Why does ATL post about Staff layoffs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Why does ATL post about Staff layoffs

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Who the fuck cares. Are they worried there is a lack of lazy old ladies stinking up the coffee room with their shitty diet of the week food?

/may have done this thread before

westphillybandr

Bronze

Re: Why does ATL post about Staff layoffs

Post by westphillybandr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Who the fuck cares. Are they worried there is a lack of lazy old ladies stinking up the coffee room with their shitty diet of the week food?

Page views = Ad money.

If the bloggers include "layoffs at major law firm" as the caption ---they know lawyers will click on the article, not realizing until it is too late that the article is about staff and not attorneys.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 pm

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:57 pm

westphillybandr wrote:Page views = Ad money.

If the bloggers include "layoffs at major law firm" as the caption ---they know lawyers will click on the article, not realizing until it is too late that the article is about staff and not attorneys.
Good point.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:59 pm

First they came for the staff

And I said nothing

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:01 pm

westphillybandr wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Who the fuck cares. Are they worried there is a lack of lazy old ladies stinking up the coffee room with their shitty diet of the week food?

Page views = Ad money.

I do this each time.

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:03 pm

bk1 wrote:Image
Tech has undoubtedly reduced the need for support staff. Cutting needless costs doesn't necessarily mean the firm is hurting.

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:10 pm

Tech advances don't occur so rapidly that they justify chopping a bunch of people all at once.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:10 pm

westphillybandr wrote:
Tech has undoubtedly reduced the need for support staff. Cutting needless costs doesn't necessarily mean the firm is hurting.
In the grand scheme of things, sure. Has technology evolved so much in the past year that firms suddenly don't need staff they're laying off today, though?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:14 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:Tech advances don't occur so rapidly that they justify chopping a bunch of people all at once.

BUT firms review staffing needs periodically. Its not as though a firm will review their staffing needs as soon as new tech. makes a certain job function obsolete.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:
In the grand scheme of things, sure. Has technology evolved so much in the past year that firms suddenly don't need staff they're laying off today, though?
I bet you could fire 50% of them and get more work done because they'd be afraid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:18 pm

westphillybandr wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:Tech advances don't occur so rapidly that they justify chopping a bunch of people all at once.

BUT firms review staffing needs periodically. Its not as though a firm will review their staffing needs as soon as new tech. makes a certain job function obsolete.
EDIT: I for sure think that firms undoubtedly cut staff when they are in trouble. I just don't think it is as dramatic as the canary in a coal mine analogy.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:39 am

It's purely to get page views. Everyone wants to make sure it is not the firm they are supposed to go work at and they tease it as attorneys, but then you read it and it is staff.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:07 am

rad lulz wrote:First they came for the staff

And I said nothing
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:47 am

Is this standard for biglaw? Because I seriously think we work in the same office.

Edit: And do people actually read ATL?
Last edited by Abbie Doobie on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

dead head

Bronze

Post by dead head » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:50 am

Why does Desert Fox post about ATL and staff layoffs in the employment forum? Who the fuck cares?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:14 am

The tech advances happened over the last couple of decades. The post-recession economy just gave firms an excuse to do the cutting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:32 am

dead head wrote:

Why does Desert Fox post about ATL and staff layoffs in the employment forum? Who the fuck cares?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:16 am

zweitbester wrote:
dead head wrote:

I felt the people had to know. HAD TO KNOW

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”