Brown Rudnick rescinds 10/23 offers rights before graduation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: Brown Rudnick rescinds 10/23 offers rights before graduation

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:I wouldn't go so far as saying "It doesn't matter." I think Latham did take a hit (and may still be taking a hit). If people have multiple offers from similar firms, Latham's past treatment of its associates may be a tiebreaker for them.
Yeah, I agree. I cancelled my Latham interview as soon as I got my first offer (V30) specifically because of how they screwed people over during the recession. I continued with others and ended up with another V10. I would only have gone to Latham if it was the only offer I got.

But then again, i would imagine that anyone who gets an offer at Latham can get another offer in the V50 or whatever and they clearly keep hiring full classes of credentialed people. So it's not killing them but I do think it makes a difference on the margins.
+1. I went through OCI this year, and I remember people talking about getting "Lathamed." It's still mentioned prominently on Latham's Wikipedia page. I'm sure they have no trouble filling their class, but I bet it affects their yield -- and will for years to come.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:44 am

I heard about someone who got really screwed by this from a friend. Supposedly, the law student who had his/her offer rescinded could have scored a federal clerkship but chose not to because they wanted them to start after graduation.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:I heard about someone who got really screwed by this from a friend. Supposedly, the law student who had his/her offer rescinded could have scored a federal clerkship but chose not to because they wanted them to start after graduation.
This does not surprise me. Firms decisions on who to keep and who to cut is arbitrary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:44 pm

cdelgado wrote:I am waiting on K&L Gates to do the same. Already delaying incoming associates until January and revenue/ppp has been in decline for a few years.
Not to change the topic, but has anyone heard anything more about K&L? Anon because a couple good friends of mine are slated to work there this summer, and people know who I am IRL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard about someone who got really screwed by this from a friend. Supposedly, the law student who had his/her offer rescinded could have scored a federal clerkship but chose not to because they wanted them to start after graduation.
GOd dammit. This stupid cutthroat profession. Kid could have been completely fine and now will likely be reeling for months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Dafaq wrote:
Has anyone here been a part of the deciding process?
The firm I SA'd at had a small number of partners' friends' kids/relatives, etc. getting SA gigs. They were far from the most impressive summers, but I'm sure they'd all be safe should any incoming associates need to be cut.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cdelgado wrote:I am waiting on K&L Gates to do the same. Already delaying incoming associates until January and revenue/ppp has been in decline for a few years.
Not to change the topic, but has anyone heard anything more about K&L? Anon because a couple good friends of mine are slated to work there this summer, and people know who I am IRL.
I know some people going there. The only time I ever hear it's in trouble is on TLS (I suppose the same could be said for every other firm in trouble though.....)

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Dafaq wrote:
The firm I SA'd at had a small number of partners' friends' kids/relatives, etc. getting SA gigs. They were far from the most impressive summers, but I'm sure they'd all be safe should any incoming associates need to be cut.
I've never been on the hiring committee because that is partners. I ve never seen this situation, but I have seen summers be no offered. The general process: executive committee decides they need to cut people, hiring committee meets- senior partners not on the committee have given input as to who they like (no one gets an offer if a senior partner dislikes them) - those people are kept, but maybe each senior partner gets one associate, it's more about power base than the best workers. The committee looks at practice areas that are not busy and cuts those associates. Other than that, it comes down to who (if anyone) is willing to go to bat for you. This is random and can depend on who you worked with, what projects you worked on, how you interacted at social events but even more random stuff can influence these decisions. Even if you are the greatest associate ever, if there is no work, they aren't going to keep you.

The firm isn't invested in the students future and most likely views most the incoming class about the same. I doubt the process involves in anyway ranking the associates and keeping the top 10. It will be political and practice area based. I don't know if any diversity needs are considered at this point, just depends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:57 am

Dafaq wrote:After reading the nightmare Rudnick story (and others like it), it makes me wonder how firms decide who stays and who goes. At some point the firms must have liked all the SAs they offered.

But now it’s chop time. For sake of argument let’s say they have two superstars and two who are marginal… those are easy calls, but what about the others? A coin flip or do partners fight for their favorites? Partners probably have equal votes, but perhaps some partners are more equal than others.

There was someone in my class who got cut from Brown Rudnick. Someone was telling me that the decision of who to cut might have possibly been based on school. A school like BC/BU would get cut before Harvard, otherwise Brown Rudnick could never recruit at Harvard again. I have no idea if this is what actually happened at Brown Rudnick, so don't automatically believe me, but it's been in the rumor mill. But the post above me also makes good points about how firms make decisions of who to cut.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Dafaq wrote:After reading the nightmare Rudnick story (and others like it), it makes me wonder how firms decide who stays and who goes. At some point the firms must have liked all the SAs they offered.

But now it’s chop time. For sake of argument let’s say they have two superstars and two who are marginal… those are easy calls, but what about the others? A coin flip or do partners fight for their favorites? Partners probably have equal votes, but perhaps some partners are more equal than others.

There was someone in my class who got cut from Brown Rudnick. Someone was telling me that the decision of who to cut might have possibly been based on school. A school like BC/BU would get cut before Harvard, otherwise Brown Rudnick could never recruit at Harvard again. I have no idea if this is what actually happened at Brown Rudnick, so don't automatically believe me, but it's been in the rumor mill. But the post above me also makes good points about how firms make decisions of who to cut.
Someone who summered there told me that the firm cold offered several people right at the end of the summer. Since the firm pretty much axed the people it didn't like from the get go, that explanation makes sense.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:02 am

There is another thread here about summers at a different firm where it seems the senior partners and department heads don't have as much input in hiring. So don't assume all firms are like mine where if the head of corporate doesn't like you, you maybe can't be saved but if they do like you and want you, just a call is enough(unless you've screwed up elsewhere which seems unlikely).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:22 pm

In happier news, someone I know who was one of the affected at Brown Rudnick already got another big law associate offer at another firm. Apparently, people were so outraged for this person, they came together and helped this person land a gig. Still doesn't excuse what Rudnick did to people, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In happier news, someone I know who was one of the affected at Brown Rudnick already got another big law associate offer at another firm. Apparently, people were so outraged for this person, they came together and helped this person land a gig. Still doesn't excuse what Rudnick did to people, though.
That is awesome to hear, good for them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”