Tell firm they are your top choice? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawhopeful10

Silver

Tell firm they are your top choice?

Post by lawhopeful10 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Title basically says it, I was just wondering if it ever makes sense to let your interviewer know their firm is your top choice or does that come off as desperate. Thanks in advance.

Law Sauce

Silver

Re: Tell firm they are your top choice?

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:22 pm

Need more specifics. In the abstract, yes it often does make sense. I do not think it makes you look desperate. But you should have some reasoning to support this that is convincing. I know a number of people who have had success doing this well.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:32 pm

Its certainly a good idea, but of course you have to be sincere and truly have a good reason why they are your top firm. When I expressed to my current firm that it truly was my top choice, they immediately asked me why. Your answer to that is key. If its truly your top choice, then you already know your answer, and im sure its something personal to you. Doesn't make you look desperate at all to express this. The firms don't just want the best recruits for the firm, but also want the recruits to feel like they are picking the best place for themselves, so they would be happy to know that you also feel that the match would be perfect.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:36 pm

kaiser wrote:When I expressed to my current firm that it truly was my top choice, they immediately asked me why. Your answer to that is key.
Yeah, it seems like your ability to answer this question sincerely/convincingly determines whether or not you should bring it up in the first place.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:16 am

Thanks for all the responses. I'm in a secondary market with limited firms doing transactional work but one or two seem to dominate the market for so if I interviewed with them I was thinking of saying I know you guys do most of what I am interested in ect. And you guys are my number one choice for that reason basically.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:57 am

My top choice firm left me hanging with no response for a few weeks after my post-OCI callback (this was a V100 satellite office with a niche practice group I really wanted in) but then extended an offer just a day after I called the recruiting coordinator and told him or her I would prefer working there over the offers I did have (a handful of interchangeable V50 NYC firms). Before I called, I took a lot of time to write out and better articulate the reasons I preferred my target firm, and I think that really paid off in my short conversation with the recruiting coordinator. My impression was that my phone call played a decisive role in getting me the offer, though I cannot say so for sure.

Now, the success of my call may have hinged upon my specific set of circumstances, but I think it can be generalized from to show that it can certainly help to reach out to a firm post-interviews and make a stronger case for yourself. Of course you should ultimately use your best judgment as to what is appropriate in your own circumstances, though.

ChardPennington

Silver

Post by ChardPennington » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:14 am

IMOit only makes sense if you need to battle a perception that they're a safety

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:26 am

The desperate chick is a huge turnoff. Job interviews are like dating. Everyone wants someone out of their league, not the fat chick eye-fucking them all night from across the way - unless they're desperate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:10 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:Title basically says it, I was just wondering if it ever makes sense to let your interviewer know their firm is your top choice or does that come off as desperate. Thanks in advance.
No, I did this. Got my summer job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:20 pm

I did it via email--basically just said that they were #1 and if an offer were to be extended, I would accept. Got the offer and accepted on the spot. Never looked back.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

^ actually answers teh question. I promise.

enibs

Bronze

Post by enibs » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Classic case of overthinking. If they're your top choice, tell them. It can only help.

Florence Night

New

Post by Florence Night » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:43 am

enibs wrote:Classic case of overthinking. If they're your top choice, tell them. It can only help.
I did this, actually going so far as say "if you offer, I"m there," and it worked out well for me. Obviously, don't do it if you're not sincere, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:34 am

Do you email/call the recruiting coordinator or one of the people you interviewed with?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:49 am

Also, is it okay to tell this to the hiring partner(s) while they're interviewing? Such as when they ask why their firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also, is it okay to tell this to the hiring partner(s) while they're interviewing? Such as when they ask why their firm?
Also relevant to my interests.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:15 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:16 am

I did this after a pre-OCI CB with Boies. Did not help. Still bitter years later.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:50 am

Did this during a screener. Will report back with results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:22 am

Also did this. Think it gave the screener a little boost mentally, but don't think it made a big difference. Plus, he really started talking about actual life at the firm (which was interesting). Just happened so don't know if it was effective or not.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 am

Regulus wrote:I did this during 1L with one of the firms I CB interviewed with. It wasn't sincere. I got dinged. :lol:

lol yeah

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 pm

So if we're doing this, do we tell each interviewer (if it comes up naturally) or only one or two or recruiting manager?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”