Visiting Semesters at State Flagship from T14 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Visiting Semesters at State Flagship from T14

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:46 am

Long distance relationshipped my friends, family, and fiance in my hometown to attend a T14. I'm homesick as all get out. It's lonely as fuck up here and I miss everybody. It really sucks. It's affected my work pretty badly. Well below median last semester. I plan on taking the T14 degree back to work in my hometown. I didn't take the scholly to the flagship in the first place because I thought I wanted to ride OCI to NY or DC. That's not the goal anymore. There are a few biglaw offices and a bunch of midlaw firms in my hometown. I'll be working at one of those midlaw firms 1L summer. SO is always networking on my behalf like a boss.

I'm starting to seriously consider using both of my visiting semesters to visit at the state flagship LS that's there. I'd use one during 2L fall and one during 3L fall. That'd make it much nicer. I'd be away for only 4 months every year for the next two years and still graduate with the T14 degree (which firms in town seem to just love despite the grades). I like the school and my LS friends, but fuck this loneliness. Two more years of this sounds miserable. But FYI I have a garbage UG degree and only food-service/low-level-clerical WE, so LS is actually my best shot at not being poor. I want to make it work.

Are there any negative impacts my visiting semester plan might have on my post-grad job hunt in town? Would this look bad to employers? Good? What am I risking here?

Anon because IRL people at school know who I am on TLS.

Diamond

Re: Visiting Semesters at State Flagship from T14

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:47 am

I doubt anyone would care. Especially if you are going to a local school. Does your school offer you to take a full time Externship? You might be able to use that to spent another semester at home. Or a 12 hour independent study or something.

dead head

Bronze

Post by dead head » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:58 am

Well, you can probably ask people at your firm over the summer how they would look at it, and reach out to alumni at other firms in your hometown to ask their opinion. Until you actually have their opinions, I wouldn't make any plans, which is to say that instead of fall 2L I would think about spring 2L. This would also torpedo any journal plans, although I suppose you may be able to back out after 2L if you only visit in 3L (and I haven't heard of splitting visiting semesters into two chunks before, though I assume you've checked to see if it is possible).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:50 pm

OP here.
Desert Fox wrote:I doubt anyone would care. Especially if you are going to a local school. Does your school offer you to take a full time Externship?
Wow, they do. I had no idea that a self-initiated externship was an option. The state AG's office is there and that would be perfect for a semester of valuable WE. TY DF, this was solid. Seriously.
dead head wrote:Well, you can probably ask people at your firm over the summer how they would look at it, and reach out to alumni at other firms in your hometown to ask their opinion. Until you actually have their opinions, I wouldn't make any plans, which is to say that instead of fall 2L I would think about spring 2L. This would also torpedo any journal plans, although I suppose you may be able to back out after 2L if you only visit in 3L (and I haven't heard of splitting visiting semesters into two chunks before, though I assume you've checked to see if it is possible).
Now that I've got an externship in the mix, I think one visiting semester at the local school can be explained pretty easily to employers (want to practice here so I wanted some state-related courses but also want preftigious general education). But tell me why it'd screw up journal stuff? I won't be on LR. Can I not do cite-checks remotely? Would it foreclose any chance at doing some journal leadership position?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”