Interning abroad Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jimmycricket

New

Interning abroad

Post by jimmycricket » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:55 pm

Does anyone here have any advice on how to find an internship abroad?

The program offered through my school is $8,500 + visa + air fare + the credits required to get federal loans + additional expenses, the program is easily going to me over $16,000.00.

All of the other programs i have found online cost around $8,000, and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to cut out the middle man and find an internship by myself.

I really would like to go to London, but I will happy with almost any place outside of the U.S.

Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

gdane

Diamond

Re: Interning abroad

Post by gdane » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:02 pm

What fields are you interested in? Google specific terms like "London summer legal internship."

Disclaimer: these travel abroad things are always a huge waste of money and you get zero benefit. If you wanna travel abroad just do it without attaching it to school credits.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Seriously, google it. Or look on psjd and other sites posting internships. It's a little late to be looking though.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:56 pm

jimmycricket wrote:The program offered through my school is $8,500 + visa + air fare + the credits required to get federal loans + additional expenses, the program is easily going to me over $16,000.00.
jesus, what a racket

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:11 pm

jimmycricket wrote:Does anyone here have any advice on how to find an internship abroad?

The program offered through my school is $8,500 + visa + air fare + the credits required to get federal loans + additional expenses, the program is easily going to me over $16,000.00.

All of the other programs i have found online cost around $8,000, and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to cut out the middle man and find an internship by myself.

I really would like to go to London, but I will happy with almost any place outside of the U.S.

Any advice would be helpful, thank you.
All of the foreign jobs (1L SAs) that I applied to for this summer had deadlines that were months ago (the earliest being in the middle of December, the latest at the end of January). Unless you have already sent off applications and are just worried about funding, it might be too late to get started if you are hoping to work for a firm. But to answer your question, to find a (firm) job abroad, you just do what you would do with any other job:

1) Check Symplicity; if there is nothing that interests you on there, then
2) Determine what region (country/city) you want to work in
3) Figure out what firms are in that region (both American foreign offices and domestic firms)
4) Send applications to their recruiting managers

There are probably other foreign positions out there which deal with "internships" (not sure exactly what this is) or public interest and what not, but someone else on here will have to provide info about those because I know absolutely nothing about that market.

Wearthewildthingsr

New

Post by Wearthewildthingsr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:58 am

jesus christ op are you financially retarded? 16k is a lot of fucking money for a 3 month vacation trip with little to no comparative benefit (compared to some other legal summer internship in the US) to future employment prospects. I would say if you had a rich family footing the bill then who the hell cares but seeing how you would be taking out loans for this, this makes me think you're a 19 year old with no concept of money and see nothing but numbers and not an actual dollar amount.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”