Fed Gov Interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Fed Gov Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:06 pm

Same here. References were called weeks ago. Wonder if the positions have been filled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:30 pm

I wish there was an HR contact we could email for an update. The woman on the original usajobs posting no longer works there.

VUcats

New

Post by VUcats » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Does anybody know what the various statuses on USAjobs actually mean? I've got a few applications where I've been "rated among the best qualified applicants" and had my application sent to the hiring manager... is that meaningful, or do they forward 500 applications for each job?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wish there was an HR contact we could email for an update. The woman on the original usajobs posting no longer works there.
Good idea. Too bad the contact is longer there. I will post if I hear something.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28 pm

VUcats wrote:Does anybody know what the various statuses on USAjobs actually mean? I've got a few applications where I've been "rated among the best qualified applicants" and had my application sent to the hiring manager... is that meaningful, or do they forward 500 applications for each job?
Every job on USAJobs.gov gets thousands of applications. You should assume that you won't get the job unless you know someone inside the agency who is vouching for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Any USDA news? At this point I feel like they've made offers and are just waiting on the two people to accept.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 01, 2014 11:30 am

I am inclined to agree with you but am holding out a glimmer of hope because it took about three months from the application closing date to the interviews. I was told I would be notified of any decision after it was confirmed. Not sure what that means. I will post if I hear anything. I hope others will too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 14, 2014 2:38 pm

Any USDA news, anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 14, 2014 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any USDA news, anyone?
Nope. Getting slightly ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 15, 2014 3:57 pm

How many people are posting anonymously? I will call myself Anon 1. Please respond with an anonymous name if you also interviewed with the USDA and have not heard back. I am curious as to whether all the finalists are on this forum. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 18, 2014 8:55 pm

What's the salary like for these kinda jobs?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun May 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the salary like for these kinda jobs?
Job postings on USAjobs.gov have their salary ranges posted as part of the listings.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Mon May 19, 2014 9:11 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
VUcats wrote:Does anybody know what the various statuses on USAjobs actually mean? I've got a few applications where I've been "rated among the best qualified applicants" and had my application sent to the hiring manager... is that meaningful, or do they forward 500 applications for each job?
Every job on USAJobs.gov gets thousands of applications. You should assume that you won't get the job unless you know someone inside the agency who is vouching for you.
I apologize for interjecting as a 0L but feel my experience is pretty relevant to the OP's question.

I applied for a financial economist job with a regulatory agency (OCC) through the USAJobs website and got an email a few weeks later saying that I had been invited for an interview. The interview was over the phone with a group panel in DC - there was no chitchat or questions about my application, they just dove right in with 5 standard questions that were the same for all applicants.

While I'm sure the questions would be different for attorney roles, I wouldn't be surprised if their approach is similar. They were very focused on practical questions. A few things they wanted to know are:

- What economic theory has most been proven wrong during the recent financial crisis?
- What are four challenges the banking industry will face over the next decade?
- How familiar are you with "bank accounting terms of art," and do you have experience using call reports for analysis?
- How comfortable are you with SAS or other statistical packages?

There were a couple other technical questions/sub-questions, and then they thanked me for my time. The whole conversation lasted about 50 minutes, and a day or two later I got an email inviting me for a second round in DC, which was to be a longer affair: "The interview session will start at 8:30am and then there will be a luncheon w/staff, so it could last until 1:30-2:00pm. Also, you will be expected to give a presentation for 30 minutes with a question period afterwards before the lunch break."

Ultimately I decided not to pursue that opportunity, so I can't comment on what the full-day interview would have been like. Hope this sheds a bit of light on what the government/regulatory interview process can involve.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many people are posting anonymously? I will call myself Anon 1. Please respond with an anonymous name if you also interviewed with the USDA and have not heard back. I am curious as to whether all the finalists are on this forum. Thanks!
Anon 2. Waiting on KC and LR. What about you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 22, 2014 11:28 am

Heard that tentative offers had been extended.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 8:27 am

For all offices? As of when?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:28 pm

bump

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply