Atmospheres at V30 Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Atmospheres at V30 Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:09 am

I couldn't find it using the search function, so I figured I'd make a new thread. Is there any information that gives applicants a good idea of what the general atmosphere is like at each of the V30 firms? Also, does each firm's atmosphere differ greatly depending on which office you go to, or are most of them similar in this regard?

It just seems really hard to know how to determine which firms to bid on for OCI (other than by practice area) when sites like Glassdoor give literally every firm 3 stars and all of the reviews say, "The pay is great, but there is no room for advancement and they overwork you."

911 crisis actor

Bronze

Re: Atmospheres at V30 Firms

Post by 911 crisis actor » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:48 am

The atmosphere at Cravath is much higher in oxygen than at other firms, this is in order to facilitate better productivity and tolerance of the hellish hours. Compare with a firm like GDC, known for being financially conservative, where there is barely any O2 in the air.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:08 am

911 crisis actor wrote:The atmosphere at Cravath is much higher in oxygen than at other firms, this is in order to facilitate better productivity and tolerance of the hellish hours. Compare with a firm like GDC, known for being financially conservative, where there is barely any O2 in the air.
Sidley Austin NYC's atmosphere contained trace amounts of nanothermite.

dead head

Bronze

Post by dead head » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:45 am

Come on; it's not an unreasonable question. Different firms have different cultures, and cultural fit is a legitimate concern.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:53 am

Yes, but I suspect that's why the search function didn't work, because there have been plenty of threads on culture, but none on "atmosphere". Anyway, it's a hard question to answer, because it does depend on firm, but also office of firm, and practice group within office, and often team within practice group. My own general observation is that you pay for prestige in culture, but that's anecdata. There will be exceptions in both directions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Frayed Knot

New

Post by Frayed Knot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:23 am

I don't think there is a great resource for figuring out culture pre-OCI. You can get some indication from Vault/Chambers/TLS/firm receptions, but it's really something you'll need to focus on once you're in a room with lawyers from the firm. If you are trying to read the pre-OCI tea leaves, two tips:

1) Both here on TLS and in some of the Vault profiles, people will throw around words that can help you get a sense of where firms fall on an introversion/extroversion scale. (Words like "fratty, social, work hard/play hard, or bros" vs. words like "nerdy, respectful, academic, intellectual"). There have been a few "fratty firms vs. nerdy firms" threads on TLS that might be helpful. All of this paints with a really broad brush, but it's something, anyway.

2) When thinking about culture/atmosphere, pay some attention to compensation system/assignment system (this information is frequently on Vault or easier to find). Some place with lockstep compensation where associates get work through a central database is almost necessarily going to have a different culture than somewhere with huge ranges in bonuses between top performers and everyone else and a free market assignment system.

911 crisis actor

Bronze

Post by 911 crisis actor » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:29 am

patogordo wrote: Sidley Austin NYC's atmosphere contained trace amounts of nanothermite.
Can't... say... I know anything about that. You're... asking the wrong person.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Most of the "culture" as far as you are concerned is going to be a factor of which partners and associates you work for. At any firm, there are going to be certain attorneys that are desirable to work for, and others that aren't. Your individual experience is going to be determined much more by who you're working with than any overarching culture.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:23 pm

1) Why would you possibly limit it to V30?
2) Office culture often varies Office to Office.
3) The culture of the group or partner you work for is more important

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:32 pm

As desert fox said, why "V30" firm cultures? The 'atmospheres' of the V28 firm are are going to vary - or not vary - as much with the V34 as with the V16 (these are randomly assigned numbers not to be matched with where a certain firm landed in recent rankings).

Trying to get a sense of the true differentiation between firms is tough. Still in that process myself.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:39 pm

patogordo wrote:
911 crisis actor wrote:The atmosphere at Cravath is much higher in oxygen than at other firms, this is in order to facilitate better productivity and tolerance of the hellish hours. Compare with a firm like GDC, known for being financially conservative, where there is barely any O2 in the air.
Sidley Austin NYC's atmosphere contained trace amounts of nanothermite.
It is a perfectly reasonable question, people. Please don't troll the on-topics.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:54 pm

If by chance there is a V30 associate on TLS… would be interesting to receive firsthand information.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Dafaq wrote:If by chance there is a V30 associate on TLS… would be interesting to receive firsthand information.
What if they're V31?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Paul Hastings has a pretty decent culture. Billable hours expectations are for you to hit 2000, but plenty of people don't, and they don't get fired or yelled at. The people are friendly and not typical aspie assholes. But that comes at a price, the firm no-offers weird, rude, or aspie 2Ls.

The LA and NYC office are slave driven a bit harder, as is the employment department.

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Dafaq wrote:If by chance there is a V30 associate on TLS… would be interesting to receive firsthand information.
Been a long time for me on these boards, but I'd be happy to provide some insight.

I'm a junior associate at a V10 in Manhattan. While I can't speak to other firms, at my firm, there is no general atmosphere. Corporate and litigation are night and day. Within those two practice areas, each sub-group has a different culture and within each sub-group, there is a different atmosphere depending on which partner you are working for.

I have found myself a few incredible partners to work for and my experience has been great. My hours have been tolerable, the workload interesting, and most days are fun. We take conference calls together, gather for coffee midday and will have a drink or two on Fridays. I have other friends in the same sub-group that working for different partners and are miserable.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Thank you for your reply. My experience as an SA in BL (not V30 though) was excellent. I relayed that experience in another thread and was told that because I was only an SA I never encountered the true horror that awaits. I did not and do not buy it. Glad to hear from someone with firsthand experience.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Dafaq wrote:Thank you for your reply. My experience as an SA in BL (not V30 though) was excellent. I relayed that experience in another thread and was told that because I was only an SA I never encountered the true horror that awaits. I did not and do not buy it. Glad to hear from someone with firsthand experience.
Of course, the poster above also said:
I have other friends in the same sub-group that working for different partners and are miserable.
I'm not sure working a SA provides you with the info about which partners you'll end up working for as a junior associate (not saying your experience is sure to be miserable, saying people had a problem with you assuming it wouldn't be based on experience as a SA).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:11 pm

OP here.

1) I apologize for using the wrong terminology. (You all almost made me doubt my English for a second though... I almost thought that workplace atmosphere wasn't actually a term until I asked Dr. Google.)

2) 50 or even 100 firms seemed like a lot to ask about, so I arbitrarily drew the line at what I thought would be a number of reasonable firms to discuss, but feel free to talk about any firm.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote: I'm not sure working a SA provides you with the info about which partners you'll end up working for as a junior associate (not saying your experience is sure to be miserable, saying people had a problem with you assuming it wouldn't be based on experience as a SA).
I am not advocating that everyone in BL is happy as a clam but as an SA who was friends with a number of first/second years (in and out of the office), I did not hear that they were dissatisfied (actually, just the opposite). I worked with associates and partners from the time school let out to the start of the next semester… it was my option to leave whenever I wanted (but I decided to forgo my vacation for the experience and money). DrGuano's firsthand experience all adds up.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:1) Why would you possibly limit it to V30?
2) Office culture often varies Office to Office.
3) The culture of the group or partner you work for is more important
Cause anon is v30 or bust.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”