Legal Aid Fellowship or State Supreme for 1L Summer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Summer Job Would You Take?

Legal Aid Fellowship
50%
Ohio Supreme Court
50%

Total votes: 4

Anonymous User

Legal Aid Fellowship or State Supreme for 1L Summer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Title says it all. My choices are working with Cleveland 's Legal Aid Society while preparing a (rather demanding) report on an unemployment topic for an alumni-funded $4k fellowship, or summering with a justice of the Supreme Court of Ohio. Neither of these is very prestigious (Ohio elects its justices) but I was late on the applications game, so they're what I've got.

Interests: Public interest law or academia if I can swing it. Looking for a federal clerkship first either way.

Other details: DCNG, top 5% after one semester. Money is only a minor issue because family in Columbus would offset living costs.

Thoughts?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Re: Legal Aid Fellowship or State Supreme for 1L Summer

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Which type of work would you prefer to do? It sounds like you're mostly concerned with prestige or the effects on future job applications. If that's the case, pick the one you think will give you a better chance to develop a good reference and a writing sample. If you do want legal services PI, legal aid is probably the better choice in terms of building a resume.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”