Job prospects at schools & at different percentiles within Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
obrienuo

New

Job prospects at schools & at different percentiles within

Post by obrienuo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:58 pm

If there's another thread on this topic or a site with this kind of explanation, please let me know and the thread can be locked. Nonetheless, I'm trying to get a better understanding of legal employment.

Here's a list of some schools. I know we've seen this all before.

Y
H/S
-----
C/C/N
P/V/B/M/D/N
C/G/T
-----
GW/BU/BC/F

People say go to the T14 for Big Law; this seems to be the case for academia and clerkships, as well. I understand that as you go down the list, the higher one has to graduate in order to get these prestigious jobs. But one can't go into law school with the belief he or she is going to graduate in the top. There are many variables, etc. I'm just curious what the options are for people at various levels within these schools.

What kind of jobs are there for people who graduate with average/mediocre grades at a T14 or don't get into the T14 and/or don't graduate in those top echelons at those non-T14 schools?

(N.B., These are genuine questions; if you're just going to be snarky, don't post)

More specifically:

1) What are the options for someone in the top 50% or 75% at CCN?
2) What are the options for someone in the Top 30% or 50% or 75% at P/V/B/M/D/N?
3) What about people in those groups at C/G/T?
4) I've heard one needs to be the top 1-2% to get Big Law from Fordham. What the options for someone in the top 20% or 30% or 50% at Fordham?

gdane

Diamond

Re: Job prospects at schools & at different percentiles within

Post by gdane » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Dude, read the stickies at the top of the forum. If you're not even in law school, which it seems like you're not, you should first read the sticky labeled "important announcement for 0L's."

In any case, your questions are wayyy too loaded and way too specific. In other words, there is no one answer for anything that you asked. Just read the stickies and you'll get a few decent answers to your questions.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Also, no one in their right mind would have C/G/T as a tier, as all three seem to belong in different ones.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:15 pm

kingpin101 wrote:Also, no one in their right mind would have C/G/T as a tier, as all three seem to belong in different ones. actually care about making such a stupid distinction.
:wink:

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Yeah, 0Ls aren't allowed to post in this forum. I also think you'd benefit from surfing around lawschooltransparency.com - look at the schools and where their graduates find jobs. It's not directly correlated with rank (if 10% if a class gets biglaw, that doesn't mean the top 10% are golden or that no one below the top 10% is in biglaw), but it gives a rough idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”