Denver firm cultures? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cslouisck

Bronze

Denver firm cultures?

Post by cslouisck » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:47 pm

I'm on spring break and have started doing a little research on Denver firms, but aside from the warnings that it's almost impossible to get a position at any of these places, there's not a lot of info about them here on TLS. So can anyone speak to the quality of the work + the distinction between published info/reality at H&H, DGS, Brownstein, Lewis Roca, Otten Johnson, etc. or the satellite offices of firms like Hogan or Patton?

If the answer depends on practice area, I'm interested in both general litigation and real estate/land use, but that's not set in stone. And since "Tell me about XYZ" is pretty open-ended, if there's a way to narrow to question that would make it easier to answer, just let me know.

cslouisck

Bronze

Re: Denver firm cultures?

Post by cslouisck » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Bump. Nothing on this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:24 pm

I worked at Gibson Dunn. Not sure if that's also on your list, but the people there are very high quality and very, very smart. I would also say that they are considerate of work/life balance, at least in comparison to other offices of the firm. Firm is litigation focused but has about 40% of its attorneys doing transactional work.

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked at Gibson Dunn. Not sure if that's also on your list, but the people there are very high quality and very, very smart. I would also say that they are considerate of work/life balance, at least in comparison to other offices of the firm. Firm is litigation focused but has about 40% of its attorneys doing transactional work.
Hey, thanks for this. Really appreciate it.

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Figure I'll give this one more bump given that OCI's coming up soon for a lot of people. Anything new?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Also interested as I plan to bid all the biglaw firms in Denver.

Anonymous from above, are you willing to provide more insight on your time at GDC?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Brownstein is considered the place for "democratic" government regulatory work, but that's kind of B.S. because they'll lobby for whomever.

Hogan bills the most and is the biggest office of the national law firms. Has a reputation as a sweatshop, but is considered the best firm in the city.

Arnold and Porter is tiny but prestigious, and I liked everyone I met there quite a bit.

DGS is a great local firm, I enjoyed everyone I interviewed with.

Holland & Hart is probably the most prestigious local firm for pure legal stuff. I didn't get an interview--they weren't hiring my year. Not sure if they are yet but it would be a great gig to the extent that a biglaw job can be a great gig.

Faegre's office was very nice as well.

Most of the national firms are just too small, though.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:57 pm

Holland & Hart hired at least one person from CU 2014, and it might be as many as three. I am 90% sure there is a second person, but I can't think of who it is so I don't want to say for sure.

Sherman & Howard should maybe be mentioned? I only really know them from litigating against them and they don't hire via CU's OCI, so I don't have a helpful opinion unless you want to know about their employment partners.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:59 pm

LeDique wrote:Holland & Hart hired at least one person from CU 2014, and it might be as many as three. I am 90% sure there is a second person, but I can't think of who it is so I don't want to say for sure.

Sherman & Howard should maybe be mentioned? I only really know them from litigating against them and they don't hire via CU's OCI, so I don't have a helpful opinion unless you want to know about their employment partners.
My understanding is Sherman & Howard hasn't hired anyone in years. I had a phone informal screener with them but I still don't think they were hiring, maybe just keeping their name out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Kronk wrote:
LeDique wrote:Holland & Hart hired at least one person from CU 2014, and it might be as many as three. I am 90% sure there is a second person, but I can't think of who it is so I don't want to say for sure.

My understanding is Sherman & Howard hasn't hired anyone in years. I had a phone informal screener with them but I still don't think they were hiring, maybe just keeping their name out there.
I was told they didn't hire from CU anymore, and thought it was just CU. I think it was because there was some anecdote of a terrible summer or new associate that made it seem CU-specific.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Kronk wrote:Brownstein is considered the place for "democratic" government regulatory work, but that's kind of B.S. because they'll lobby for whomever.

Hogan bills the most and is the biggest office of the national law firms. Has a reputation as a sweatshop, but is considered the best firm in the city.

Arnold and Porter is tiny but prestigious, and I liked everyone I met there quite a bit.

DGS is a great local firm, I enjoyed everyone I interviewed with.

Holland & Hart is probably the most prestigious local firm for pure legal stuff. I didn't get an interview--they weren't hiring my year. Not sure if they are yet but it would be a great gig to the extent that a biglaw job can be a great gig.

Faegre's office was very nice as well.

Most of the national firms are just too small, though.
This all seems pretty right on the money to me.

I'd add that Gibson, while tough to break into, is a great office with good partners to work for (and about double the size of A&P or MoFo, the two other huge brand names with small Denver presences). DGS, Brownstein, and WTO seemed prestigious and incredibly well-regarded, but I never interviewed with any of them so I can't vouch for the people. I really liked everyone I met at Faegre, but my friends who are there say that they work people far harder than they let on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:04 pm

Are the exit options out of these national firms (e.g. MoFo, GDC, etc.) for transactional attorneys limited to Colorado?

I would imagine that life as an associate is above average but that the exit options may be below average?

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
Kronk wrote:

I just got a random recruiting blast that says Sherman & Howard is looking for a junior lit associate.
Entry level doe?

idk, I just heard from a partner at S&H that they haven't hired a SA in a few years, but I can't back it up with anything more than that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”