Choosing First-Half Firm in Tennessee (1L) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Choosing First-Half Firm in Tennessee (1L)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:41 pm

I currently have two offers for first-half of summer from a big firm in Nashville and a "big" firm in East Tenn. I like both firms fairly equally, though I have stronger ties to Nashville. A 2L who worked at the East Tenn. firm cautioned me to split my summer well (she was referring to her experience as a 2L SA) because the East Tenn. firm is known for consistently offering only ~50% of Summer Associate offers--I guess this would matter most to me if I were to come back to the East Tenn. firm as a 2L.

Here are some of my concerns:
-I'm worried about completely closing East Tenn. market b/c my second-half will be spent in Nashville.
-East Tenn. values longevity and sort of expects you to come back 2L summer. It feels like playing with fire when the other firm has a better offer rate for 2Ls. Also, the Nashville firm's 2L class is tiny b/c 1Ls are brought back, so I may be closing myself off from that opportunity. (The 2L who extended this advice is at the top of his/her class and got an offer at another amazing firm.)
-CSO confirmed the East Tenn. firm's tendency to only extend half of the SAs offers (so it wasn't an outlier experience on 2L's part).
-Petty: Less $/week in Nashville, but I'm a 1L, so I don't get to quip about that

Reasons why I'm leaning towards Nashville firm:
-Firm is known for longevity (1L --> 2L --> offer)
-Big class size
-Clicked really well with everyone/particular affinity shared

I'd love any Tennessee knowledgeable people (Rad Lulz) to validate my almost decision.

Jchance

Silver

Re: Choosing First-Half Firm in Tennessee (1L)

Post by Jchance » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:21 pm

not from nashville or Tenn.

Split if u can. If having to choose one, i'd pick the firm with higher offer rate (both for fulltime and to come back as 2L). If u choose the low-offer firm and get no-offered, u'll regret it for the rest of ur life.

U can also trade up at 2L OCI, so dont worry too much about this decision now. Pick one and focus on grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:28 am

Went to UTK, worked in both markets.

Take Nashville, be thankful. Offer rates are bad in Nashville, but even worse in East Tenn. The only reason you would want to take East Tennessee is if you're from Knox/Chatt and interested in staying there. If that is the case, then respond non-anon and I'll PM you with specific info about Knox/Chatt/Tri-Cities firms.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:30 am

I would split and not bank on East TN (or Nashville, but better chance there IMO).
I don't work in East TN but I'm from there and know several who do. What you have heard is true for East TN. It is a really small market crawling with lawyers and they really value strong ties. I would not expect an offer if you are not a native. Not saying it isn't possible, but it would be an uphill battle and cause you to lose out to someone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”