Job Acceptance Deadlines Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Job Acceptance Deadlines

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:00 pm

The Situation: You have a dream summer position you interviewed for.

You are waiting to hear back, and you also have a strong offer on the table elsewhere.

It would be foolish to turn down the offer and not get the dream job. But if would be foolish to take the strong offer without hearing back from the dream job. However, there is a timing conflict between the potential and the offer.

And there is no way to get any more extensions on the existing offer.

What would you do?

Anonymous User

Re: Job Acceptance Deadlines

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Situation: You have a dream summer position you interviewed for.

You are waiting to hear back, and you also have a strong offer on the table elsewhere.

It would be foolish to turn down the offer and not get the dream job. But if would be foolish to take the strong offer without hearing back from the dream job. However, there is a timing conflict between the potential and the offer.

What would you do?
Accept strong offer. Then if dream job offers, reneg the strong offer and accept the dream job offer. If no dream job offer, there is no issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The Situation: You have a dream summer position you interviewed for.

What would you do?
Accept strong offer. Then if dream job offers, reneg the strong offer and accept the dream job offer. If no dream job offer, there is no issue.
Considering the strong offer is a 'powerful' position - would that not put me on a black list of sorts for future job hunting? My biggest concern is ruining my reputation with strong offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Considering the strong offer is a 'powerful' position - would that not put me on a black list of sorts for future job hunting? My biggest concern is ruining my reputation with strong offer.
Anon from above

More info would help. Like your stats (school, class rank), and whether this is for 1L or 2L employment. I'm assuming 1L because no 2L is asking legal employment question right now.

For 1L summer, no one cares what legal experience you get unless the firm will likely extend an offer for full-time associate after grad (some firms do this). Just take the strong offer.

No one in this market turns down an offer just to sit around and wait for something that might not come around. Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon from above

More info would help. Like your stats (school, class rank), and whether this is for 1L or 2L employment. I'm assuming 1L because no 2L is asking legal employment question right now.

For 1L summer, no one cares what legal experience you get unless the firm will likely extend an offer for full-time associate after grad (some firms do this). Just take the strong offer.

No one in this market turns down an offer just to sit around and wait for something that might not come around. Just my 2 cents.
OP here: Dream position will likely extend full-time offer from my understanding. Generally a huge opportunity that even the staff at CDO is questioning how to approach because it would be "too big to miss out on." Strong offer is not a firm but prestigious in its own right, even for a 1L. So yes, this is a 1L situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon from above

OP here: Dream position will likely extend full-time offer from my understanding. Generally a huge opportunity that even the staff at CDO is questioning how to approach because it would be "too big to miss out on." Strong offer is not a firm but prestigious in its own right, even for a 1L. So yes, this is a 1L situation.
Anon from above again,

Sounds like the situation of biglaw (dream) vs. judicial internship (strong). 1. If thats the case and if you have strong number, you can turn down the judicial internship and applying for more backup plans while waiting for the biglaw offer. If biglaw offer comes through, great. If not, hopefully one of the backup plans comes through (any legal employment works for 1L summer).

2. Alternatively, you can take the offer for judicial internship. Then when your biglaw offer comes in, bring that up with the judge, s/he should understand and let you take ur biglaw offer.

If its not the biglaw vs. judicial internship situation, go with plan 1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”