1L With a judicial internship offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L With a judicial internship offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:42 am

Hi everyone,
I was recently offered a judicial internship with a state court as a 1L. I am looking to go into family law after I graduate, and I also have offers from several family law firms in addition to an estate and tax law firm.

I'm wondering what my best option would be here, in terms of what I aim to practice after I graduate. All internships, judicial and firm, are located in the market in which I would like to practice after graduation.

BVest

Platinum

Re: 1L With a judicial internship offer

Post by BVest » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,
I was recently offered a judicial internship with a state court as a 1L. I am looking to go into family law after I graduate, and I also have offers from several family law firms in addition to an estate and tax law firm.

I'm wondering what my best option would be here, in terms of what I aim to practice after I graduate. All internships, judicial and firm, are located in the market in which I would like to practice after graduation.
I would recommend the state court judge, especially if s/he is a trial judge who sees any family cases (if you're in a bigger county/district, the judge may not see family cases). Being with a trial judge for 1L summer is great because it gives you an opportunity to see how court really works, and the judge will help you learn what the attorneys did well and what they didn't. It generally also gives you a chance to observe other courts in the courthouse to give you a really full flavor for in-court trial work and how different judges run their courts.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L With a judicial internship offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:29 pm

BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

I would recommend the state court judge, especially if s/he is a trial judge who sees any family cases (if you're in a bigger county/district, the judge may not see family cases). Being with a trial judge for 1L summer is great because it gives you an opportunity to see how court really works, and the judge will help you learn what the attorneys did well and what they didn't. It generally also gives you a chance to observe other courts in the courthouse to give you a really full flavor for in-court trial work and how different judges run their courts.
Many, many thanks, BVest. Was hoping that you would say this because I'm really interested in the judicial internship.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”