Associate status after clerking? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
olive16

Bronze

Associate status after clerking?

Post by olive16 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:11 am

Say you clerk for 2 years. After clerking, would you start as a third year? My friend said something to that effect. Not sure if it's a firm-by-firm thing or what.

Anonymous User

Re: Associate status after clerking?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:13 am

olive16 wrote:Say you clerk for 2 years. After clerking, would you start as a third year? My friend said something to that effect. Not sure if it's a firm-by-firm thing or what.
its firm by firm but most firms have firm progression or whatever its called for clerking. if you check nalp, it usually says. that being said, a friend of mine did this and was supposed to be a 3rd year but only got 1 year progression instead of 2. (not sure what happened)

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
olive16 wrote:Say you clerk for 2 years. After clerking, would you start as a third year? My friend said something to that effect. Not sure if it's a firm-by-firm thing or what.
its firm by firm but most firms have firm progression or whatever its called for clerking. if you check nalp, it usually says. that being said, a friend of mine did this and was supposed to be a 3rd year but only got 1 year progression instead of 2. (not sure what happened)
sorry didnt mean for this to by anonymous

olive16

Bronze

Post by olive16 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thanks, i checked NALP but couldn't find anything for my firm.

enibs

Bronze

Post by enibs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:48 am

olive16 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thanks, i checked NALP but couldn't find anything for my firm.
You can call the recruiting director and ask. Almost all firms give at least one year credit for clerking. Some give two years credit if you clerk for two years and some don't. And some will give two years credit for compensation purposes but not for seniority purposes. This may actually be the best of both worlds. After two years of clerking you will not be at the same law firm competency level as someone who has spent two years at the firm. So if you can get paid as a third year, but only be expected to have the competence of a second year, you may well be better off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:45 pm

Many firms also distinguish between if you're going in for corporate (very unlikely to give you 2 years) or litigation (much more likely, but varies from firm to firm). It's also something you may be able to negotiate - I don't think everyone at my firm has the same deal.

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:55 pm

In my district, in a major city, most firms will negotiate the seniority point - both salary and level of work expected. Most clerks try to get the salary of their class year but more time to qualify for partner. Obviously whether you'll get this concession depends a lot on how badly the firm wants to hire you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”