Best Way to Respectfully Decline a 1L PI/Gov Job Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best Way to Respectfully Decline a 1L PI/Gov Job Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Title basically says it all. State DOJ internship offer, unpaid just school stipend, I really liked the people and the position sounded interesting, but paid work in a better location came through and the choice is clear. This is not a humblebrag, please don't troll I'm legitimately seeking guidance.

I actually do care about respectfully turning down this offer, because the person who extended it is not only really friendly, but an alum of my law school who knows some of my current profs and OCS administrators, ect., not to mention this person is a pretty significant legal/political figure in a market I hope to work in someday and would possibly have to interact with.

What are some of the best ways/turns of phrase people have found for respectfully declining an offer while retaining a contact/not pissing someone off? Senior year of college when I was choosing between post-grad job offers, I was somewhat careless about this and I regret it, and don't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks again TLS!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Best Way to Respectfully Decline a 1L PI/Gov Job Offer

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05 pm

You really can't come up with the language to politely say thanks but no thanks?

"It is with regret that I have to decline your kind offer of a 1L summer intern with [the office]. While I was extremely interested in the work your department does and was eagerly looking forward to working with you, Mr. X, and the other [department] staff, I have been offered another position that aligns more closely with my current goals and feel it is my best interests to accept. Thank you for your time, and for the kind advice you have offered throughout this interviewing process.

Sincerely,
Asperger Q. Lawstudent"

Adjust as necessary. Just don't be a snot, don't be disingenuous, and don't try to make up some fake reason. They'll likely assume it's because you found a paid position elsewhere, and that's ok, as long as you don't rub it in their faces or try to weasel around it.

objecion

New

Post by objecion » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Once you receive your dream offer, just spell it out and reply that because of tuition debt you accepted a 3K a week offer. If you’re rolling the dice for a 1L SA (doable but the odds are not in your favor), my advice is to accept. If you decline, sugar coat it as best as you can, chances are as a 1L you’ll be returning to this offer with hat n’ hand.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:15 pm

objecion wrote:Once you receive your dream offer, just spell it out and reply that because of tuition debt you accepted a 3K a week offer. If you’re rolling the dice for a 1L SA (doable but the odds are not in your favor), my advice is to accept. If you decline, sugar coat it as best as you can, chances are as a 1L you’ll be returning to this offer with hat n’ hand.
No, don't say you took the other job over government/PI because the other job pays $3K. (I mean, I don't think you'd do this, OP, but just for the record.) Everyone knows students have debt and yet people do suck it up and take unpaid offers; telling people in the public sector that you're ditching them to make money is not going to leave a good impression. Rink's reply is credited here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Thank you for the advice rinkrat, A. Nony. The deed is done. And no, I wouldn't ever mention money.

Mods feel free to shut the thread unless you feel the information is of general interest/relevance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objecion

New

Post by objecion » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:54 pm

FTR… I was thinking in terms of a conversation, not a written response. This is what I did when I had to undo an unpaid internship after receiving a 1L SA offer. I made the call and sidestepped the written portion. They understood, it all worked out fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:28 pm

objecion wrote:FTR… I was thinking in terms of a conversation, not a written response. This is what I did when I had to undo an unpaid internship after receiving a 1L SA offer. I made the call and sidestepped the written portion. They understood, it all worked out fine.
Yea that's fair, backing out of an offer is different from choosing between two open ones. I accepted the paid position earlier this morning, didn't feel it necessary to call the unpaid one since I hadn't given them any prior commitment. Thanks anyway though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”